Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Prolly getting a new 08 tomorrow.. some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008 | 09:32 PM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
you aren't really indicating exactly how old you are but it sounds like you are old enough to know what you are capable of doing. car payments suck.
He said in the first post how old he is....

I wouldnt agree with the paying in cash deal. I would not drop 27k either at once. I financed 19k and have 348.00 payments. I just saved enough to get a lower payment. I would still shop for a better price though. In another thread a mod here has seen a NEW Nismo for 29k on the lot. Deals are out there, just have to look. And they will be willing to work with you more since they know that winter is coming and they wont be selling 350z's for too much longer.
Old 09-28-2008 | 11:26 PM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife
Premier Member

Originally Posted by davidv
I wonder what people did before stability and traction controls? Bet it was like risking your life just to go to the store for a pack of cigarettes.
Exactly.

Those things are good but if you're a good careful driver and compensate your driving habits according to the outside weather, you'll be fine. I don't have any of those features in my Z.

Old 09-29-2008 | 02:26 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?
Premier Member

I wonder what people did before stability and traction controls? Bet it was like risking your life just to go to the store for a pack of cigarettes.
I went to the alignment guy a lot more often! Dad-burned curbs!
Old 09-29-2008 | 07:34 AM
SargentZ

IMHO

DO NOT buy a 'base' model, you will regret it it later....Enthusiast and above
Old 09-29-2008 | 07:50 AM
nothix

buy a used enthusiast. Save money, miss out on the biggest part of the depreciation hit, win.
Old 09-29-2008 | 07:51 AM
Greg06

+1 Nor ABS or airbags etc.. People nowadays are too spoiled.
Old 09-29-2008 | 10:16 AM
orangeflash

have you ever thought about getting a used 350z? You could probably get a great condition low mileage 04-05 z for around 20k. Check it out on auto trader. I purchased my 03 with 50k miles on it and it has been running amazing with accumulating 85k miles.
Old 09-29-2008 | 01:38 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by Greg06
+1 Nor ABS or airbags etc.. People nowadays are too spoiled.
I forgot about no ABS. Pumping the brakes to keep them from locking is ancient history.
Old 09-29-2008 | 01:46 PM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

If you finance $27k at 2.9% for 60 months you should be staring at $519.XX a month for your payment. If you add gap insurance you can figure on a few more bucks a month, most places require gap insurance if you're not making a decent sized down payment. Now, if you're paying rent / mortgage, student loans, etc. you need to look at all of that as well. You certainly don't want your car payment to be more than one week's take home pay, especially in this current economy. If you can cover your car payment with one week's pay and cover your rent with one week's pay and don't have any other major payments to make then from a financial stand point, go for it.

As for people who say that financing a car is a waste, I disagree with that as long as you're buying the car to drive and are not concerned with buying it as an investment. If for some reason I had $27k laying around I wouldn't spend it on buying a car when I can borrow money for a car at 2.9% and there are better gains to be made on the $27k.....although in this market I would probably be burying it in a Mason jar out back.
Old 09-29-2008 | 04:58 PM
h0pes

TCS has saved my *** many times.
Old 09-29-2008 | 05:14 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by nothix
buy a used enthusiast. Save money, miss out on the biggest part of the depreciation hit, win.
Originally Posted by orangeflash
have you ever thought about getting a used 350z? You could probably get a great condition low mileage 04-05 z for around 20k. Check it out on auto trader. I purchased my 03 with 50k miles on it and it has been running amazing with accumulating 85k miles.
I think used is a much smarter move. There are deals out there on used Z's, even used '07s. I just bought a used '06 GT for $20k.

If you really want used, find out what invoice is on an '08 enthusiast. Use Autocheck to find out how long the dealer has been hanging on to it, then start off offering about $1000 below invoice and work from there. If a dealer has been sitting on an enthusiast for a while, they will be anxious to get rid of it.

Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
As for people who say that financing a car is a waste, I disagree with that as long as you're buying the car to drive and are not concerned with buying it as an investment. If for some reason I had $27k laying around I wouldn't spend it on buying a car when I can borrow money for a car at 2.9% and there are better gains to be made on the $27k.....although in this market I would probably be burying it in a Mason jar out back.
Yeah, particularly after what happened today, the DJIA down 777 points!
Old 09-29-2008 | 06:19 PM
Yablargo

Originally Posted by dhays
I think used is a much smarter move. There are deals out there on used Z's, even used '07s. I just bought a used '06 GT for $20k.

If you really want used, find out what invoice is on an '08 enthusiast. Use Autocheck to find out how long the dealer has been hanging on to it, then start off offering about $1000 below invoice and work from there. If a dealer has been sitting on an enthusiast for a while, they will be anxious to get rid of it.

Yeah, particularly after what happened today, the DJIA down 777 points!
I picked it up, at 2.9% got the GAP and got the base 08 for 26,3. I can't complain. 6 months ago when i was looking I couldnt find a decent used one for a reasonable price, small amt more and its brand new.

To be fair and in response to the above post there was a 06 vert touring or higher and it was like 20k. The used prices are nicely low right now, but I dunno if that makes sense for me. Im gonna pay 4k and get an extra 50k miles out of the deal. For me that can mean 6 years

Basically, all of my long miles are fun miles, I have a 10 mile work commute, and a 15 miles a week school commute.. I put like 8000 a year and the majority are just dicking around. For me to buy a car with 45k... Ill put like 50k on it MAYBE in 5 years.

Honestly also if you have a interest bearing acct with 4+% apr and a loan at 2.9%, your better off putting 10k in the account and paying out of it, youll lose less money than putting it down at that rate.

I did have a bit of sticker shock when I saw the pmt with the gap and putting less down (for precisely above reason) but after poking around in what I was putting in my 'pocket money' acct, I dont think its gonna hit me that bad. It ended up being about 40$ a week out of my pocket more(which I guess is pretty significant, but I can think of alot of things id rather give up to get a Z).

I guess ill feel more motivated to do more consulting to make up for it, which is honestly not a bad thing. In the meanwhile, the Z is friggen awesome. I gotta say I dont know where alot of the reviews are coming from. Everyone complains its a total unlivable noisebox etc, but coming from cars Ive had in the past its a lazy cruiser in feel. Suspension is not nearly as jarring as the MS3 and its waaaaay more comfortable for both me and the misses.

Last edited by Yablargo; 09-29-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2008 | 07:11 AM
dhays

Originally Posted by Yablargo
I picked it up, at 2.9% got the GAP and got the base 08 for 26,3. I can't complain. 6 months ago when i was looking I couldnt find a decent used one for a reasonable price, small amt more and its brand new.
Congratz on the new car. I think you'll really enjoy the '08.

Seriously consider taking it to some autocross events. It is cheap, safe fun. All you need is a DOT approved helmet and most clubs have some that you can borrow for the event. It will help you make the adjustment to a RWD car and really improve your driving skills. Not to mention give you a safe opportunity to really push the handling limits of the car in a controlled situation.
Old 09-30-2008 | 06:31 PM
liven Z life

Yablargo are you on newtiburon? i think i read something you said a few weeks ago lol. im qby tiburon on there
Old 09-30-2008 | 08:56 PM
VENOMSZ

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 10-01-2008 | 04:11 AM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife
Premier Member

Congrats on the Z. For some reason I'm so tempted to get a new Z right now. Bad economy, cheap base prices on 350Z and higher starting price for the 370z makes me wanna go out and buy a new Z NOW.

Old 10-01-2008 | 05:00 AM
davidv

To be fair and in response to the above post there was a 06 vert touring or higher and it was like 20k. The used prices are nicely low right now, but I dunno if that makes sense for me. Im gonna pay 4k and get an extra 50k miles out of the deal. For me that can mean 6 years

Basically, all of my long miles are fun miles, I have a 10 mile work commute, and a 15 miles a week school commute.. I put like 8000 a year and the majority are just dicking around. For me to buy a car with 45k... Ill put like 50k on it MAYBE in 5 years.

Honestly also if you have a interest bearing acct with 4+% apr and a loan at 2.9%, your better off putting 10k in the account and paying out of it, youll lose less money than putting it down at that rate.

I did have a bit of sticker shock when I saw the pmt with the gap and putting less down (for precisely above reason) but after poking around in what I was putting in my 'pocket money' acct, I dont think its gonna hit me that bad. It ended up being about 40$ a week out of my pocket more(which I guess is pretty significant, but I can think of alot of things id rather give up to get a Z).

I guess ill feel more motivated to do more consulting to make up for it, which is honestly not a bad thing. In the meanwhile, the Z is friggen awesome. I gotta say I dont know where alot of the reviews are coming from. Everyone complains its a total unlivable noisebox etc, but coming from cars Ive had in the past its a lazy cruiser in feel. Suspension is not nearly as jarring as the MS3 and its waaaaay more comfortable for both me and the misses.
Congratulations.
Old 10-01-2008 | 11:05 AM
orangeflash

Congrats, but I just dont understand your logic. whatever.
Old 10-01-2008 | 05:08 PM
Yablargo

Originally Posted by liven Z life
Yablargo are you on newtiburon? i think i read something you said a few weeks ago lol. im qby tiburon on there
Thats me, havent had a tiburon in forever but eh its not a bad forum :P
Old 10-01-2008 | 05:11 PM
Yablargo

I've been really wanting to get into SCCA stuff more. I used to go to the drag strip alot but once I got my times consistent it was honestly quite fckin boring for me.

Originally Posted by dhays
Congratz on the new car. I think you'll really enjoy the '08.

Seriously consider taking it to some autocross events. It is cheap, safe fun. All you need is a DOT approved helmet and most clubs have some that you can borrow for the event. It will help you make the adjustment to a RWD car and really improve your driving skills. Not to mention give you a safe opportunity to really push the handling limits of the car in a controlled situation.

Quick Reply: Prolly getting a new 08 tomorrow.. some Q's