Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Newbie looking for info on buying a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
tgunn47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for info on buying a 350z

HI. I am obviously new to these cars so I'm looking to you for help. Who better than people who are passionate about them.
Anyways. I have seen a lot of 2003's for sale. Is there anything wrong with them that has been corrected in later models?
Also I'm only looking for an automatic. My other cars are stick and I'm tired of it.
If someone can tell me which one is better and what to look for when buying on I would love the input. I'm not looking to race it but I would like a dark car with dark leather interior. Stock is fine. Nav would be nice.
Let me know you thoughts on what year I should get. I had a friend with an early model(don't know the year) and he said the brakes were awful. If I have to spend more and get a newer one are the brakes better?
Thanks for the help.
Tom
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is where you want to be https://my350z.com/forum/buying-leasing-396/

and

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 PM
thespottedcow

If I had to do it all over, Id get an 07 or 08 instead of my oil eating monster 06, but it all depends on your budget and whats available/where youre willing to drive
Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Darkside Mojo

If I had to do it all over...... I'd make the exact same choice. 07 HR FTMFW!!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 2003 Touring AT with 52k miles. I have no complaints. It's all stock except for some subtle appearance upgrades. I was looking at an '08 Touring but it was out of my budget.

You just have to do your homework. Search on here and you'll find your answers. Whether you buy a 2003 or 2008, you'll still get a considerable amount of power and great looks.

Have fun shopping!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 AM
JCITY
Banned

Start with,WHATS YOUR BUDGET?
No sense looking for something that you can't afford.
Since you mentioned 03 models,I'm thinkin you may be at
the lower end of funds.Under 15K...?
Also,don't put too much value in the,"I have a friend that..." comments.
Most of these guys don't know jack.But they come across as experts.
You live in Florida?Davie?If so,you may be in a good position to score
a great low mileage Z.Alot of OLDER owners bought Z's,used as weekend cars.
As for a 03 Z,this was the first year of the Z rebirth.Yes,there were several problems
largest being the front tire feathering issue.One would think that any 03(early 04 too)
cars would have had this fixed(warranty)long ago.If you like a AT car,so be it.
You have come to the right place with this forum for info rather than listening to a
friend.Back to a 03,I've got one.I bought it new.Have it going on 10 years.AT car,no problems.At 79k on the clock runs better than new.You will learn on this forum that the
VQ engine in the Z is designed to go 200K with regular maitenance.Many are way over that.If you are looking for a "dark" color car,your choices may be limited.It depends on
what you term "dark".Black for sure.Is red dark?There are some colors on the Z that are
rather rare that fall into the dark category.Brickyard&SanMarino blue.Not many out there.
As far as a dark interior...its black.All others are light or medium.
As for model selection,you appear to be a regular street driver.No interest in racing.
Brake problems?Maybe upgrade to better ceramic pads.I'd look for a Touring model.They are well equipped,many have nav,
they have LSD(limited slip diff)which is a great feature.The 03's had HID headlights
which were a step up.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
tgunn47

Default What do you all think about this one?

http://www.carsforsale.com/find_a_ve...?vid=149194908

Thanks for all the help and info. I'm reading all I can. I did see a very dark blue 350 but I don't know if it was factory or not. Looked good though.

Let me know what you think about this one. I have not yet seen it in person.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
-Trav-

Its black, per the description. This is a standard factory color.

That price is too high for the mileage and the AT. Also its a touring model, yet its on 17s which is standard on a base model. What happened to the 18s? Hmmm...

Only one owner is a good sign, but for that price I think you could do much better. Pay cash and talk em down a couple grand if youre really set on it.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
tgunn47

thanks for that info Trav. I was about to head over there. It's a good 3-4 hours.
I thought they were all posi rear ends. But from what I have read they are not. Do I just nail the gas or is there another way to tell?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
realist alive

search search search. If you are serious about buying a 350Z you will do the research and consider your budget, not take a total strangers word for it especially over the internet.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 PM
-Trav-

Originally Posted by realist alive
search search search. If you are serious about buying a 350Z you will do the research and consider your budget, not take a total strangers word for it especially over the internet.
Good advice, however keep in mind that a search search search will still yield threads/topics written by.....total strangers.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I will put as much effort into this as you do. So far you are at zero.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
tgunn47

Originally Posted by davidv
I will put as much effort into this as you do. So far you are at zero.
No need to get nasty. I have learned a lot from the links and what other members have said and looking up previous threads. I wanted to ask people who are familiar with these cars as they will know things to look for off the top of their head and be able to spot things I may miss.

I'm a 67 Camaro guy and I know quite a lot about them but from time to time I have to ask a question on the Camaro forum and I have owned over 25 of them. Sometimes people ask me and we try and help each other. I have made friends over the years that I never met other than the phone or email.

I just want to know what I'm getting into and not make a stupid mistake. I could read all day but personal experience is better. So take it easy on me.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
realist alive

Originally Posted by tgunn47
No need to get nasty. I have learned a lot from the links and what other members have said and looking up previous threads. I wanted to ask people who are familiar with these cars as they will know things to look for off the top of their head and be able to spot things I may miss.

I'm a 67 Camaro guy and I know quite a lot about them but from time to time I have to ask a question on the Camaro forum and I have owned over 25 of them. Sometimes people ask me and we try and help each other. I have made friends over the years that I never met other than the phone or email.

I just want to know what I'm getting into and not make a stupid mistake. I could read all day but personal experience is better. So take it easy on me.
We are happy to have another automobile enthusiast on the forum, however it is far to common a young kid comes on the forum and asks this exact question once a week. Typically the OP never ends up getting a 350z anyways. We become tired of it, especially when all of us have been in your exact position. The better post would have been "I am looking at this 200* 350z what do you guys think" provide a link and you will get nothing but good responses. Especially when budget effects 99% of our decisions when buying a car, regardless of what we want. Happy hunting and post pics when you do get one

Last edited by realist alive; 06-26-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
mgk5391

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple things too look out for is:
Rear axle clicking
Bad window motor either not working properly or on its way out
Tire feathering, forget what years exactly but definitely 03 and 04 have this problem if suspension was not retuned.
Certain year or years have oil consumption issue,
But basically what everyone else said research. This is not a exhaustive list but a good list of common problems that I know of. Really the year does matter except for styling and engine 03 04 most torque and 274 hp ,05 Rev up 300hp I believe and 06-09 high reving de 306 hp I think. BTW if you're looking for touring models easy way to tell is grand touring models have GPS. And regular touring model features which are leather seats and Bose stereo. Traction control and I believe 18" wheels.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
ERICA Z

Originally Posted by mgk5391
Simple things too look out for is:
Rear axle clicking
Bad window motor either not working properly or on its way out
Tire feathering, forget what years exactly but definitely 03 and 04 have this problem if suspension was not retuned.
Certain year or years have oil consumption issue,
But basically what everyone else said research. This is not a exhaustive list but a good list of common problems that I know of. Really the year does matter except for styling and engine 03 04 most torque and 274 hp ,05 Rev up 300hp I believe and 06-09 high reving de 306 hp I think. BTW if you're looking for touring models easy way to tell is grand touring models have GPS. And regular touring model features which are leather seats and Bose stereo. Traction control and I believe 18" wheels.
My Grand Touring does not have GPS.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM
tgunn47

I appreciate all the help and I understand where you all are coming from. Please smack me in the head if I ask a stupid question. I'm learning and that does not come overnight. I'm reading all that I can but still have questions about what I read.
Nobody learns everything in a few days. Best I can do is read, try to figure out what is best and yes, I will ask the members on here for help. If they don't want to help than please don't reply. Everyone so far has been very helpful and I thank you all for that.
Take care and have a good night.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tgunn47
I appreciate all the help and I understand where you all are coming from. Please smack me in the head if I ask a stupid question. I'm learning and that does not come overnight. I'm reading all that I can but still have questions about what I read.
Nobody learns everything in a few days. Best I can do is read, try to figure out what is best and yes, I will ask the members on here for help. If they don't want to help than please don't reply. Everyone so far has been very helpful and I thank you all for that.
Take care and have a good night.
The "help" is here: 9 years of 350Z history. Read. Learn. Make an informed decision.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 AM
tgunn47

Thanks again everyone for the help. I'm going to look at the car I posted but they said they are not coming off the price too much. I want to see what model it is.
It's basically what I want as far as looks go but I don't want to pay too much.
I'll keep reading, learn as much as I can and I will send you all any info I can on potential cars I'm looking at.
I really want a few opinions if I find one I like.
Thanks

If you know of any that you think are what I'm looking for send me a link.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
tgunn47

I have read a lot and though this one does not have Nav it still has everything else I want. I would like an opinion from you all. You have been very helpful so far. Are there any red flags? I know it was in an accident but they claim only a fender with no suspension damage. If there is I think I would be covered under Ebay Purchase protection plan as I have recieved e-mails through EBAY from them stating it is fine.
What do you thing is a fair price?
Thanks again,
Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130720179003

Last edited by tgunn47; 06-28-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: forgot the link

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for info on buying a 350z