Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

And So It Began

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
USC350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And So It Began

Hey guys, new here and hope to stay here with all the sexy car tales....I'm a twenty year old college student who has worked and has no debt, full-tuition paid for(lucky, I know).....Anyways I've been working hard and make 12.50 per hour(Net around 1400 a month)(800 to bills) and work between 35 to 45 hours a week....I would like to buy a Z...but there are a few problems.....Mom and Financing....

I have very little to no credit but I would like to put a 5,000 dollar down payment on a clean 03/04 350z that goes for around 8k to 9k(Basically finance the rest 3k to 4k)...Do you think a lot of dealers would go for that(putting over half down with no credit?) I don't want to pay more than 10% interest and if all goes well I will pay this car off by the end of the summer......

If I were to get my hands on a Z I would have 4k in cash after I sold my current car now(leaving me with a nice emergency fund)...

Insurance for me would be 110 dollars a month and the monthly payment wouldn't be more than 150 prolly closer to 100......

Am I being unreasonable? I work Hard, I should get to play Hard...And this would be a nice little toy to take with me to my next college..

Also, a dealer was telling me that the 350z is immune to salt damage(Carbon fiber), is that really true?

Last edited by USC350z; 03-21-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldn't buy the Z in your current situation if i were you. wouldn't have enough to pay for insurance, gas, mods or food post purchase.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 AM
LBZ350

Originally Posted by Voboy
i wouldn't buy the Z in your current situation if i were you. wouldn't have enough to pay for insurance, gas, mods or food post purchase.
Sell Your Mom
Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

You may work hard but you wont be able to play hard with that income. Get a 240 or a miata (if you fit) and work on that. Parts are cheaper and car is equally fun.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Did you do ANY research? The car is immune to salt damage?

What does your mom have to do with this? If she pays your tuition, you have to listen to her. Don't like it? Pay your own tuition.

Look at what is actually feasible for you. $12.50/hr & going to school is not enough. Man up, even if it means admitting to yourself you can't afford this car right now (there are plenty of fun cars that would be better for your budget).

Read more about cars in general, finish school, get a better job, then enjoy life and buy whatever you want.

Last edited by Syner; 03-22-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM
USC350z

What would you guys think about my situation of I dropped 9k down(fully paid for)....Would that be more reasonable...Want to get a 2nd job over the summer anyway.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by USC350z
Also, a dealer was telling me that the 350z is immune to salt damage(Carbon fiber), is that really true?
Sure, the plastic parts and the carbon fiber drive shaft are immune to salt damage. Probably the same for the aluminum parts. I'm sure anything else is just as supseptable as any other car.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, new here and hope to stay here with all the sexy car tales....I'm a twenty year old college student who has worked and has no debt, full-tuition paid for(lucky, I know).....Anyways I've been working hard and make 12.50 per hour(Net around 1400 a month)(800 to bills) and work between 35 to 45 hours a week....I would like to buy a Z...but there are a few problems.....Mom and Financing....

I have very little to no credit but I would like to put a 5,000 dollar down payment on a clean 03/04 350z that goes for around 8k to 9k(Basically finance the rest 3k to 4k)...Do you think a lot of dealers would go for that(putting over half down with no credit?) I don't want to pay more than 10% interest and if all goes well I will pay this car off by the end of the summer......

If I were to get my hands on a Z I would have 4k in cash after I sold my current car now(leaving me with a nice emergency fund)...

Insurance for me would be 110 dollars a month and the monthly payment wouldn't be more than 150 prolly closer to 100......

Am I being unreasonable? I work Hard, I should get to play Hard...And this would be a nice little toy to take with me to my next college..

A lot of dealers will give you the car with no credit. As long as you have a job and put down a nice down payment. Also, you already have 800 in bills, add premium gas, higher insurance plus car payment and that will be very hard to manage on that income.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Neokiller309

For the insurance, Are you looking at just liability? Because when financing a vehicle, Most lenders require you to have comprehensive/collision coverage on it also, Which is where the major costs come from.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
USC350z

Originally Posted by Neokiller309
For the insurance, Are you looking at just liability? Because when financing a vehicle, Most lenders require you to have comprehensive/collision coverage on it also, Which is where the major costs come from.
yep 110 with a 1,000 dollar deductabile for full coverage on an 03 350z......
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Car likes to eat tires....and tires are expensive...not to mention other things.

Get a 240sx..
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
USC350z

Originally Posted by go7roo7
Car likes to eat tires....and tires are expensive...not to mention other things.

Get a 240sx..
240sx looks really outdated and old.....I'm not trying to go really that fast...Just would like a nice lookin ride that has some get up and go to it....

As it will stand during college.....I will roughly net around 1400 a month.....

Rent w/utilities-450
Phone-120
Food-350
Misc-100

I will have 480 dollars a month left for............

Car payment-100
Gas-200(The Z eats alot of gas but I live exteremly close to school and work)
Insurance-110

Total:$410...

Also I forgot to mention after buying my Z I will have 5k to 6k in cash......And if **** were to really hit the fan finacially(which I seriously doubt) I have 3 relatives that I can stay with in the college town that I live in.....

I really don't think what i'm trying to do is really out of my means....
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
omgitsweasel

No it is out of your means dude. No offense to your reasoning or anything...
I make twice what you do, I have about the same amount of bills percentage to my income and I still fear that ill end up eating ramen noodles when/if **** hits the fan.
Just a few more numbers for you since you seem to like them:
$175+ea. The average cost of a performance tire. Times 4 tires plus mount and balance is well over 800 mounted and balanced. You can only front-to-rear rotate one trim of these cars tires. The other trims you have to dismount the tires off of the wheels and remount them on opposite sides. I've killed 6 sets of tires since May last year, but that's extreme. Youre going to go through tires either way. Especially if you dont keep the car aligned.
Alignments are hit or miss too, good alignments are $80+ and my car falls out of spec about every 2k miles. Firestone does 170 dollar alignments for the extent of your ownership, but they dont do modified cars (in my area at least)
~$4/gallon for premium. I get no more than 18mpg with a feather foot. On track, hammer down; it gets MAYBE 8mpg. It's a 17 gallon tank. My wallet doesnt feel like doing that math.
Then you have brake pads, clutch disks, and differential plates that can and do wear.
Fluids aren't cheap and if you decided to track the car at all, you should be replacing at least the brake fluid and trans/diff oils after 2 events.
The plastic undertray is like $150+ and falls off if you sneeze on it wrong.
The paint is horrible and rock chips like whoa, on the hood its no big deal, its aluminum, but the fenders arent, and can start to rust if not taken care of. I dont know what color youre looking at, but colors like LeMans Sunset, Brickyard, Solar Orange, Ultra Yellow and Interlagos Fire are not cheap to paint match and the touch up paint that actually matches is like finding a unicorns egg, at the end of a rainbow, in a leprechauns pocket.
Now, if you really dont mind disregarding your own unforseeable health concerns, your pets and having no social life, go for it dude.
But you're 20, you have *** to smash and alcohol to consume (soon, legally). Girls like nice cars, but they like going out and spending your money more than they like nice cars.
anyway, im kinda drunk so sorry if its a bit of a ramble, but whatever, unicorns eggs and all that.

Last edited by omgitsweasel; 04-01-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Mikeman92

I'm in the same boat as you, and I would never go and buy the car unless I had all the money ready to buy it. The maintenance is just too demanding w/o help from parents or a paid off car. Either save up for the whole car, or just push the idea to the dark corners of your mind until you graduate and find a job.

I make money from a part time job, YouTube, and a couple thousand from left over scholarships. Just save up and I'm sure you'll be able to buy the car by senior year, assuming you're a freshman/sophomore.

Last edited by Mikeman92; 04-01-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
USC350z

Originally Posted by omgitsweasel
I make twice what you do, I have about the same amount of bills percentage to my income and I still fear that ill end up eating ramen noodles when/if **** hits the fan.
$175+ea. The average cost of a performance tire. Times 4 tires plus mount and balance is well over 800 mounted and balanced. You can only front-to-rear rotate one trim of these cars tires. The other trims you have to dismount the tires off of the wheels and remount them on opposite sides. I've killed 6 sets of tires since May last year, but that's extreme. Youre going to go through tires either way. Especially if you dont keep the car aligned.
Alignments are hit or miss too, good alignments are $80+ and my car falls out of spec about every 2k miles. Firestone does 170 dollar alignments for the extent of your ownership, but they dont do modified cars (in my area at least)
~$4/gallon for premium. I get no more than 18mpg with a feather foot. On track, hammer down; it gets MAYBE 8mpg. It's a 17 gallon tank. My wallet doesnt feel like doing that math.
Then you have brake pads, clutch disks, and differential plates that can and do wear.
Fluids aren't cheap and if you decided to track the car at all, you should be replacing at least the brake fluid and trans/diff oils after 2 events.
The paint is horrible and rock chips like whoa, on the hood its no big deal, its aluminum, but the fenders arent, and can start to rust if not taken care of. I dont know what color youre looking at, but colors like LeMans Sunset, Brickyard, Solar Orange, Ultra Yellow and Interlagos Fire are not cheap to paint match and the touch up paint that actually matches is like finding a unicorns egg, at the end of a rainbow, in a leprechauns pocket.
Now, if you really dont mind disregarding your own unforseeable health concerns, your pets and having no social life, go for it dude.
But you're 20, you have *** to smash and alcohol to consume (soon, legally). Girls like nice cars, but they like going out and spending your money more than they like nice cars.
anyway, im kinda drunk so sorry if its a bit of a ramble, but whatever, unicorns eggs and all that.
Finally, Thank you....Really put it in perspective for me.......There are bitches to be smashed and I can't do that if i'm working all the time and worrying about an old 350z......

Live life, have fun, and then worry about the car.....gotcha
Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 PM
hooahh3

hell im a full time student as well. my wife works full time (11.25/hr) and i get a GI bill (1505/mnth) to pay me while in school. and now that ive bought a Z im going back to workjust for the car. I know the price of the parts and thats no big deal but i know that when i when i want to upgrade or need replacemnt parts its not gonna be cheap. plus i can put more towards the car and have it paid off in about a year.

plus being unemployed was kinda boreing. lol and made me spend alot more money with idel hands.

and i see your from SC. i moved to st pete for school from North Augusta actually
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM
hooahh3

and as far as tires go im running 275/35/19 rear and 245/35/19 fronts; set of goodyear f1's shipped to my house is 1066 with out mount and balance. its alot of meat but i can still walk it sidways on dry pavement.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsweasel

Lot of wisdom here.

you should drink more, my man.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Ser_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just penny pinch for a while..It sucks but the bills start stacking up and eventually you will have enough for a Z..I was in your position but making less and paying for school and I bought my Z in full not that i'm rich or anything. That's the key if you want to buy a car in your current situation to have fun with pay it off in full or don't buy it and wait till your confident with the money tbh if your asking us then your probably not ready to pull the trigger..your in collage you don't want to worry about car payments on top of insurance, while trying to get a decent gpa. As for the mom situation bro moms will always hesitate to allow there "baby" to buy a sports car mine did as well you just have to be confident and show you are ready and have no doubts about the car you want show her numbers and show her you have done your research..Do what i did buy a Z you wont regret it if you have done your homework pics will be up soon.and keep the Z indoors dont get it salty salt is never good for cars that low...

just trying to help not being rude everything is meant in the best of spirits
Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 PM
USC350z

Originally Posted by Ser_Z
Just penny pinch for a while..It sucks but the bills start stacking up and eventually you will have enough for a Z..I was in your position but making less and paying for school and I bought my Z in full not that i'm rich or anything. That's the key if you want to buy a car in your current situation to have fun with pay it off in full or don't buy it and wait till your confident with the money tbh if your asking us then your probably not ready to pull the trigger..your in collage you don't want to worry about car payments on top of insurance, while trying to get a decent gpa. As for the mom situation bro moms will always hesitate to allow there "baby" to buy a sports car mine did as well you just have to be confident and show you are ready and have no doubts about the car you want show her numbers and show her you have done your research..Do what i did buy a Z you wont regret it if you have done your homework pics will be up soon.and keep the Z indoors dont get it salty salt is never good for cars that low...

just trying to help not being rude everything is meant in the best of spirits
I think right now it is best to have the little financial security I have and just sit back and enjoy life in college. When I graduate at 22 I will shop for my Z or G.....Right now I will work hard, study hard, and party hard without the headaches of a nice car....

Rome wasn't built in a day....

Quick Reply: And So It Began