Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Need help in regards to buying used 350z out of state, selling current 350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 AM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help in regards to buying used 350z out of state, selling current 350z

I live in Texas and am thinking about selling my 350z. I'm considering purchasing a different used 350z in Louisiana and then transferring it to Texas.

I'm a bit ignorant to the taxes and fees involves in all aspects of the two transactions. Can somebody please provide guidance as to what to expect?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If you buy the car out of state, you don't pay sales tax in that state. But, you will pay tax on that purchase in your home state, when you go to register the car. At least that's how it works here in FL, as I've bought a few California cars and had them shipped to me.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bb17
I live in Texas and am thinking about selling my 350z. I'm considering purchasing a different used 350z in Louisiana and then transferring it to Texas.

I'm a bit ignorant to the taxes and fees involves in all aspects of the two transactions. Can somebody please provide guidance as to what to expect?

Thanks!
When you buy the Z in Louisiana the seller has to get the bill of sale notarized then gives you the title. Once you have the title and are back into Texas you need to get the car inspected. You have to tell the inspection place that this is the first time the car is getting inspected in Texas and they'll give you a separate document for registration.

Note: A current Louisiana inspection is transferable/valid in Texas.

After you have the new inspection documents go to the county's tax office and get the car registered, sales tax in Texas is 6.25%. After the fees and tax are paid they'll issue you your registration sticker and new plates!

Also Note: When a car is sold in Louisiana the license plates must be turned in. So if your driving it back to Texas you'll have no plates or temp tag, assuming your buying it from a private seller. When I bought my Z in Louisiana and drove it back to Texas I never got pulled over. I did however make sure to go through as many toll roads as humanly possible!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
When you buy the Z in Louisiana the seller has to get the bill of sale notarized then gives you the title. Once you have the title and are back into Texas you need to get the car inspected. You have to tell the inspection place that this is the first time the car is getting inspected in Texas and they'll give you a separate document for registration.

Note: A current Louisiana inspection is transferable/valid in Texas.

After you have the new inspection documents go to the county's tax office and get the car registered, sales tax in Texas is 6.25%. After the fees and tax are paid they'll issue you your registration sticker and new plates!

Also Note: When a car is sold in Louisiana the license plates must be turned in. So if your driving it back to Texas you'll have no plates or temp tag, assuming your buying it from a private seller. When I bought my Z in Louisiana and drove it back to Texas I never got pulled over. I did however make sure to go through as many toll roads as humanly possible!
Thanks for the helpful info - you were right on all accounts!