Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Car cover for garaged car

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004 | 06:24 AM
zzz350

Default Car cover for garaged car

I have a black 350Z, covered with Zaino, that is garaged each night. I don't use it for a daily driver and thus it sits in the garage alot. I want to protect it while it is garaged (not on the street). Since I don't need a waterproof cover, what is the best type of material to use to cover it without scratching the finish.

Any specific brand names, anyone, anyone, Bueller?
Old 11-24-2004 | 07:20 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

If you can avoid it (by having it garaged), you'd probably be better off not covering it. No matter what kind of cover you use, any specks of dust or dirt that are on your car will potentially be rubbed around on the surface while you're covering it. That would produce small, fine scratches. I'd say leave it uncovered and occasionally use a Cali Duster to remove the dust that does settle on it.
Old 11-24-2004 | 08:25 AM
zzz350

Tried that California duster, it leaves greasy-looking smears over the entire surface, must be the substance they put on the duster to pick up dust.

My car is usually very clean, I wouldn't put a cover over it when it is dirty.

Anyone else have a suggestion. maybe I'll write Dr. Bonz
Old 11-24-2004 | 08:56 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

What you need to do is let the Cali duster sit on a piece of news paper for a week or so. Every day, pick it up and shake it then set it back down. The paper will absorb the excess parafin so it won't get on your car.

I haven't noticed any streaks after I use it.
Old 11-24-2004 | 11:35 AM
Zracer03

Cal car duster doesnt leave streaks.. New ones will however leave excess wax (parafin) that's put into the duster. The more you use it, the less you will see. Otherwise, do what he said with the newspaper. As for covering it, how often do you let it sit without driving it? Mine is not a daily driver, I drive it maybe once or twice a week in the summer, in which a cover is a waste to take on and off. Mine stays in the garage and covered for the winter because I dont drive it for 5 months. I have the OEM cover from StricklyZ and it works great.
Old 11-24-2004 | 01:35 PM
Kevin Overall

California Car cover company makes a cover in a material called Dust Stop which is exactly made for what you described. You will have to have the car perfectly clean before covering it however, no dust can be on the surface. And yes, put your duster on some newspaper and it will wick out the extra oil in the mop strands and it will work much better....
Old 12-13-2004 | 11:40 AM
KShep

Default Re: Car cover for garaged car

Originally posted by zzz350
I have a black 350Z, covered with Zaino, that is garaged each night. I don't use it for a daily driver and thus it sits in the garage alot. I want to protect it while it is garaged (not on the street). Since I don't need a waterproof cover, what is the best type of material to use to cover it without scratching the finish.

Any specific brand names, anyone, anyone, Bueller?
I agree with Dave...but my car is housed in a garage along with my dog...who comes and goes...but should an altercation between he and another creature brake out and they wind up in the garage....just as a precaution I cover the car. Link below...product #92440 custom fit "Dustop" car cover from Griots.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....500&L2=L2_2500

And the newspaper will work wonders on the Cali duster..as stated.
Old 12-13-2004 | 03:47 PM
mdacko

i am looking for a car cover too. the z is garadged for the winter, but since 2 other cars are going in and out every day, plus 2 dogs, 2 cats, and tons of bikes/golf clubs/etc laying around, id like to keep it covered. a waterproof cover isnt neccesary. i saw a datsun 280z car cover the other day that looked as though it was made of hospital scrubs material.