Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Is the center waterfall painted? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 PM
GB_KSU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the center waterfall painted? HELP!!!

Hey everyone, working on the interior of my car and I was using Mr. Clean magic eraser to clean the plastics before dressing. My problem arose when I was doing the waterfall (center console) around the stereo and climate controls. I noticed it was turning the white sponge very dark, so I figured it was dirty as hell. I was scrubbing using good force just above the shifter and noticed in a spot that it looked like it turned it from silver to black. Did this remove the paint of the plastic? I would think that a sponge and water wouldn't do that, but Nissan did go cheap on the interior. I hope it didn't ruin it, any help into this subject would be appreciated.

Last edited by GB_KSU; 06-21-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 PM
bixby

Time to find some interior touch up paint. That stuff is way to harsh for cleaning any part of your car except maybe the under carrage. Regardless of how cheap you feel the interior is.

Go to www.zainostore .com for all your car care needs.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
syf0n

Sounds like the solvents on the magic eraser burned right through the outer coat of plastic on the console! I guess that's why they have that disclaimer about testing on a non-visible area...

Good luck covering up the damage, although I have no useful suggestions on what products you might use.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
GB_KSU

Well I guess I'm an idiot. I got so upset I quit detailing the rest of the interior. I used that product on my moms Lexus interior with amazing results, but no such luck here. I wonder how much that piece would cost to replace? This may be a good reason to have it custom painted. Hard to be pissed when its your own f up I guess. Live and learn.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
JamRWS6

Originally Posted by GB_KSU
Well I guess I'm an idiot. I got so upset I quit detailing the rest of the interior. I used that product on my moms Lexus interior with amazing results, but no such luck here. I wonder how much that piece would cost to replace? This may be a good reason to have it custom painted. Hard to be pissed when its your own f up I guess. Live and learn.
Well said...if my car is going to get messed up I want to be the one who does it!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
syf0n

GB_KSU,

Don't throw in the towel just yet!!! Is the tiny patterns in the plastic worn down in the places where the "paint" is gone? I do not think that the gray in the plastic is paint, but I agree it's a great time to have it painted! Having it painted the exterior color of your car and clearcoated would probably look very cool -- I did this option from the factory on another car recently and the results were very good! Something to think about, and probably less costly (and more unique!) than just buying a whole new piece...