Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Best Swirl Remover I've Used....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 04:48 AM
VaGentleman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Swirl Remover I've Used....

It's not Zaino Z-5. I love the other Zaino products (I have them all), but the Z-5 just wasn't doing the job where swirl/spider web marks were concerned.

While my car was in the shop last week waiting for it's wheels, I noticed a brochure there. The dealer offered a service through a company called "Leading Edge" to take care of small dents, scratches, etc. I had a few tiny scratches (not swirls) and a few tiny rock marks so I thought it would be great to have them removed.

I picked up the car at closing time and it was under the bright lights and ALL over the car were swirl marks...severe (not deep, just numerous) swirl marks. I've written the company to lodge my complaint and demand compensation. In the mean time...what to do?.

I tried numerous coats of Zaino Z-5, but the swirls remained and were not lessening in quality or quantity.

I fired up the computer, went to google and ordered three swirl mark removers that I found. I ordered 3-M, Klasse and a product unknown to me....."Glare Professional Polish".

Because the Glare polish was the first to arrive, I thought I'd try it first. I chose a small area on the rear deck that was not only a swirly mess, but it actually looked hazy.

The directions indicate that for the first application, the polish is to be used like a compound, i.e., you rub in the polish until it has disappeared into the paint. So I did. The haze didn't completely disappear, but the edges of the hazy area diminished and I could see definite improvement. After two more applications..NO MORE HAZE!! It looked perfect! So I tried it on a few other spots where there were just swirls, and it only took 2 applications to get back my "perfect" (ok, the orange peel is still there )
finish.

Because I'm going to be doing the entire car, I'm going to get a random orbital buffer and some finishing pads (the least aggressive possible) so that I can do the job in a reasonable amount of time. I've always heard that if you use a machine on your car, you better be careful or you will cause further damage, i.e., burning. After reading extensively on the subject, it appears that the damage comes from using a high-speed polisher with incorrect technique, too aggressive polishing compound, too agressive pad, or a dirty/damaged pad.

The random orbital polisher, on the other hand, is much more user friendly, especially for the novice-intermediate user.

If you want to check out the polish, go here (no www needed)

http://autopolish.net/

VG

Last edited by VaGentleman; 12-27-2002 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:45 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRy something called "liquid ebony", especially made for swirl marks...on darker color cars...from wesco paint supply. Used it on a black 4x4 truck and a very dark blue/black/green TR 6. Good luck