Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

waxing/polishing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waxing/polishing

Ok, took the plunge today.. and did my first 'true' (non-kmart style ) polishing and waxing today.

Thanks to the written experience posted by Brad, etc before.. it really helped picking out my arsenal and procedure.

So, I used 3m swirl remover for dark cars with my porter cable on a white pad. Directions for machine say run till a high polish. I ran the polish till it hazed, but then was very hard to remove with my towels. If I kept at it till it basically had a dull finish, it came out great with my towels. Whats the secret here? Is it to keep at it till the polisher has worked in and taken most of it off by itself? I was starting each section by applying polish to the car with my towel, then misting the pad, use the polisher, then buff with microfiber.

Once the car was done.. I moved onto the waxing. Used Blitz.. was very easy to apply and had a great shine! Dust/residue wasn't bad.. till my towels got pretty full, then it was really bad (of course). The PAC pads inferred I could use a grey pad and do it with the machine. What step would you use the grey pad for? Buffing off the hazed wax? Applying? Buffing after removal?

I guess I'm looking for whats the best way to utilize the porter polisher besides just applying polish itself.

THanks
Old 01-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Kevin Overall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: waxing/polishing

"Ok, took the plunge today.. and did my first 'true' (non-kmart style ) polishing and waxing today.

Thanks to the written experience posted by Brad, etc before.. it really helped picking out my arsenal and procedure.

So, I used 3m swirl remover for dark cars with my porter cable on a white pad. Directions for machine say run till a high polish."

Don't go by that, use the buffer until the 3M breaks down from a cream to an oil and remove at that point, DO NOT let the polish dry on the paint nor buff until the panel is dry.

"I ran the polish till it hazed, but then was very hard to remove with my towels."

You ran the buffer too long