Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.
View Poll Results: WHICH PROVIDES THE BEST SHINE, PROTECTION, BEADING, DEPTH, & COLOR ENHANCEMENT?
ZAINO
41.36%
KLASSE
5.76%
MOTHERS
4.71%
BLACKFIRE
17.80%
MEGUIRES
12.57%
3M
3.14%
PINNACLE
3.14%
GRIOT'S GARAGE
3.14%
P21S CONCOURS
1.57%
LIQUID GLASS
6.81%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

What's the best wax/paint protectant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 10:44 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 500 dollar wax job

It used to be teflon, is it still? Looks nice on dark cars, did they do the inside too? That part works really well.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Drumtemp

It's a 500 dollar wax job.
Actually, it was $395.

It used to be teflon, is it still? Looks nice on dark cars, did they do the inside too? That part works really well.
What I've learned is that, yes, it is Teflon. Also, the whole interior was done as well--very nice. The wheel wells were treated to minimize noise (like small rocks kicking up), and I believe the under carriage was also treated. Part of the package included 6 12oz. bottles of the various treatments. They warranty their products, and Nissan approves them, so I thought that was a plus.

I haven't heard much (if any) mention of TOC on any of the various Z forums, so that's why I asked.

Last edited by Drumtemp; 05-15-2003 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:45 PM
12SecZ

TOC is a sealant and works well. Don't question it it's done. 7 year warranty? Transferable and increases resale value if anything.

They say though that you never have to wax your car again and having used that before I will honestly tell you it won't stay looking like it does now forever, you will want to wax it eventually but the inside protection works well on spills etc.

Leather or cloth?
Old 05-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Drumtemp

Thumbs up

Originally posted by MaxHax
TOC is a sealant and works well. Don't question it it's done. 7 year warranty? Transferable and increases resale value if anything.

They say though that you never have to wax your car again and having used that before I will honestly tell you it won't stay looking like it does now forever, you will want to wax it eventually but the inside protection works well on spills etc.

Leather or cloth?
Yes, I believe it's a 7 year warranty.
Thanks for all the info.

I've got a CS Enthusiast with Carbon interior, side air bags, splash guards, all mats, and kick sills.
Best car I've ever owned, though I still have great memories of my '72 240Z.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Drumtemp

Well, after using "teflon" as my search word (rather than "cal-tex," "resistall," and "TOC") I finally found some views on this stuff. WOW, talk about some opposition! And mainly from the Zaino distributor!

Well, hopefully not too much harm done, other than out $395, but it's still too early to tell about this product (for me)--I haven't seen any bird droppings on the car yet which is one of the main "nasties" that this product is supposed to resist.

BTW, MaxHax: Check out an orange Olds 442 named "Homegrown" when yer at the Sac speedway. It's my brother's...he does (I believe) Pro-Stock class. He sports a lot of tat's too (former USMC).
Old 05-17-2003, 09:26 AM
12SecZ

Oh I have seen that car haha I live there.

I have pics of his car!

Haha! I have about 30 pics in my camera I haven't got arounded to uploading to my PC yet including a Viper RTS that ran a 12.3 on street tires!

I also have orange Dodge R/T with no hood and two huge Holly 750's with a stack that runs 10's.

Last Wednesday a 9 was ran out there!

Got our own EJ aka Jimmy a local here doing a 13.9 on motor with just an intake and stock tires too!

Nice meeting another local, check out our local section in the regional forums too!

Max
tat's too
Edit just woke up, you said "too."

How did you know Jimmy and I have tats? You saw us at the trach huh? LOL, race that thing the teflon makes it faster

Mine are from the USN!

Last edited by 12SecZ; 05-17-2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Kevin V

Actually Dupont, the maker of Teflon, came out many years ago specifically stating that Teflon, in a car care product, does absolutely nothing. The reason being, is that teflon has to be applied at over 600 degrees. Most of the cars body would melt. I figure they must know what there own product does.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Drumtemp

Originally posted by Kevin V
Actually Dupont, the maker of Teflon, came out many years ago specifically stating that Teflon, in a car care product, does absolutely nothing. The reason being, is that teflon has to be applied at over 600 degrees. Most of the cars body would melt. I figure they must know what there own product does.
Yes, I've read several articles about this, so far. Interesting that Nissan warrants the product for, I believe, 5 years (not 7 as I stated earlier). If bird droppings, or acid rain cannot be removed by the TOC product, the damaged area will be repainted at Nissan's (or TOC's) expense.
At least that's what I'm told--I haven't heard, or read, any caveats, yet.

After my first wash of the car, the water beaded up nicely and after drying the paint (clear coat) felt really smooth and slippery to the touch--guess time will tell.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:11 PM
12SecZ

I believe, 5 years (not 7 as I stated earlier).
When it first came out it was 10 years believe it or not. So it's been cut in half?
Old 05-30-2003, 11:28 PM
Taya

Unhappy TOC and CG

I am glad to see the TOC question. I also have the TOC applied on my car, so far 6 months later, it does good job, water spots are removed very easily, no birds stuff and most importantly, I have no paint chips (don't know if this is due to the TOC). Anyway, I read through the CG and recently did my first wax on the car. I have a Black Z and want it to shine but even more, I like to find something that does help with the dust on the car... I think I need to give the CG a chance...

Does anybody has experience with the CG being applied over the TOC?.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:58 PM
SEK Z

Showcars previous comments in the 1st paragraph below:

How about the "tools." You'll find plenty of people who use diapers, t-shirts, lambs wool bonnets, microfiber or cotton towels to apply or buff the car. Some say by hand only, others say machine or not at all. I know what works best for me, but does that mean those other tools are "bad?" Just remember, whatever you have just applied to your car will be softer than the paint it's applied over, so if you want to avoid swirls, you have to be VERY picky about your choice of cloth (a swirl in your polish looks just as bad as a swirl in your paint).

Based on your comments above would you recommend lambs wool bonnets, microfiber towels or cotton towels to apply and buff the car to avoid swirls and not damage the paint?

Would you recommend to do it by hand or machine. If machine which type of machine? Brand name?

What liquid would you recommend to clean and dry the car?

Where is the best place to buy this stuff to clean my new Z ??
A specialty car store or Nissan dealership or Walmart/Target ?

I plan on keeping my Z for many years!

Thank you for your help!
Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Drumtemp

Default Re: TOC and CG

Does anybody has experience with the CG being applied over the TOC?.
We may be the only 350Z owners who have had the TOC treatment applied to our cars. And the few that did get it, washed their car with Dawn to remove it and apply their own favorite brand of elixor. You've had your Z about 5 months longer than me, and I'm glad to hear that the TOC is still working for you.
Me? I'm sticking with the TOC and continue monitoring the paint finish after each wash. I've been using a detail spray for spot cleaning (Blackfire on order).

One thing that seemed a bit strange (to me): the TOC warranty is available for 1, 2, 3 & 5 years. Mine is for 5. BUT, what does that really mean...is less treatment applied to the car if you only purchased a one year warranty?

If I hadn't paid $395 for the whole enchilada I'd be ....ah, what the 'ell, I love the car, it looks awesome....'wot, me worry?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:29 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Anyone sell Zaino in MA ?

also, where is the best place to buy ZAINO online ?
Old 06-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Taya

Default TOC and CG

Drumtemp,
I think the TOC is a good product, the best of it, is that you have 5 years warranty on crap that might happened to the paint. I was mentioned though that I will need to wax the car in about 6 months and I think it was pretty much right there, I did one mistake and that is to have my car washed an car wash and they have formed lots of swirls in my paint... I wonder how I can make them go... the wax I applied did not help? Is there a specific procedure for getting rid of swirls.... You paid just about what the dealers say to be their cost for TOC, that is good.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:54 PM
thardwick

Add me to the Crystal Guard list! The stuff is awesome!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:44 PM
12SecZ

Default TOC Swirls etc

When you paid for TOC you should have got two bottle for extra touchups, BIG bottles, I did.

If you didn't for 400 bucks fo get them!
Old 06-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Drumtemp

Default Re: TOC Swirls etc

Originally posted by MaxHax
When you paid for TOC you should have got two bottle for extra touchups, BIG bottles, I did.

If you didn't for 400 bucks fo get them!
Thanks Zee & Max.

Yes, the $395 included a six pack box supplement supply.
True, the nice thing IS having a protectant that's warranted. I don't know whether that's true of any of the other favored brands.

Zee: Try using "swirls" as a search word in the detail forum. You'll get lots, and LOTS of info about removing (and preventing) swirl marks.
My CS is my first "light colored" car and swirl marks don't seem to rear up at all...thankfully.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Taya

Angry Six pack?

This is great info center. I will look up for the swirls... I did not get any six pack or whatever? could that be bcs I got my TOC as a courtesy (I did not pay for that)?. But if this package come with some supplements, I surely want them as well? What should I tell my dealer when I get there?...
Old 06-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Drumtemp

The "six pack" consisted of a box labeled "Resistall." It included: deodorizer, vinyl/leather protectant, spot & stain remover, car wash, window cleaner, and paint protectant/renewer.

If you received TOC as part of your deal (no pay) I think you should still make a trip back to your dealer and ask him for the kit. If they told you the car needs to be rewaxed after 6 months I would suspect they'd want you to continue using the Resistall product to maintain the warranty.

I'm going to check with my dealer and get a bit more info myself--I'd certainly like to maintain the 5 year warranty and I'm wondering if putting some other brand of "potion" will in any way void that warranty.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Taya

Default TOC and CG

I would be interested to know what your dealer said... I will do the trip to the dealer and ask your question as well... see what they say... In any case, I do want to improve the shine of the car as well as get red of the swirls, so I guess I will need to use some material...

Quick Reply: What's the best wax/paint protectant?