Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Detail spray, always have to use Z-6 if Zaino'd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 07:36 AM
afr0puff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detail spray, always have to use Z-6 if Zaino'd?

My car has 5 coats of Zaino on it. After I'm done washing and drying the car, i like to z-6 the car. However, I am running low on Z-6 and the stuff is pretty expensive. Can I use another detail spray to work with Zaino? I'd rather save the Z-6 for whenever I apply a coat of Zaino.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:58 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wash, wax, then let it dry over night, the next morning I remove the wax(I dont use ZFX) but I dont really care to start detailing the car beyond removing the wax, so I never use the stuff... hasnt caused me any trouble, might not shine as much, but it doesnt affect its protection, which is really what I want out of it...
Old 03-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use the Z-6 but I don't suppose it'll hurt not too. Just won't get the total IN-ZAINO effect though.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:08 AM
DUKE

vicmar90 asked a while back:
“My question is that I ran out of the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer and in the interim am using the Meguiar Quick Detail in-between and after car washes. I am in the process of ordering more of the Z-6, however, in the meantime is there a major difference between these two products?”

Brad4rdHay replied:
“If you want to save some money, buy a gallon of Meguiar's Final Inspection (the "Quick Detailer" has silicons in it). Final Inspection is a very slipery, expendable QD spray.”

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....r&pagenumber=2

afr0puff, if I were you I would e-mail Sal and ask him what would be safe to use if you run out of Z-6.
Keep us informed on what you do.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:02 AM
afr0puff

Sal's reply...

No!!!!. Please Do not put any other detailer on top of Zaino.

_ Zaino Show Car Polish is 99.9% optically perfect. Do not put anything on
_ top of Zaino except Zaino. That would defeat the whole purpose of my
_ product.

_ Z-6 and Meguiars detailer are two completely different products.....
_ Stay away from other brand Quick detailers. They are not
_ compatible with Zaino. Z-6 is chemically designed to bond to Zaino polish.

LOL! No joke, he did bold that first line in his reply to me.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:31 AM
iris

Originally posted by afr0puff
Sal's reply...

No!!!!. Please Do not put any other detailer on top of Zaino.

_ Zaino Show Car Polish is 99.9% optically perfect. Do not put anything on
_ top of Zaino except Zaino. That would defeat the whole purpose of my
_ product.

_ Z-6 and Meguiars detailer are two completely different products.....
_ Stay away from other brand Quick detailers. They are not
_ compatible with Zaino. Z-6 is chemically designed to bond to Zaino polish.
oops! ok, back to the z6 for me.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:41 AM
aelius

I remember reading (was it Dr. Bonz?) that Z-6 is concentrated enough to dilute with water, which I've done without any ill effect.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:10 PM
DrDrilZ

what did you guys expect sal ZAINO to say? "yeah sure go ahead and use meguiars"? you think mr. meguiar tells people to use zaino? its all about a sale!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
principe

Default I don't know

I've been using Zaino products for almost a year. No doubt it creates a nice smooth shinny finish.

After 5 coats of Z2 (I'm coming DrBonz's!) I use the Z6 all the time but I did try half a hood with and half without. Honestly I couldn't tell any difference.

What I use it for is touching up the car, clears water spots (after a quick run out).

Does anyone really really see an obvious change or difference. Remember I already own the stuff and have purchased more of it so don't flame!

Just looking for confirmation of what I don't seem to see!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:59 AM
afr0puff

I've only noticed a difference in dust pick-up and how much smoother it is. After I wash and dry the car, the surface is pretty slick. But after I Z-6 the car, it feels like glass. I can't even keep a towel on the hood. Slides right off.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:02 PM
grayfox

I can vouch that the Z6 is great for touch ups (water spots, bad bird dodo)...
Old 04-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Kevin V

If you dilute the Z-6, use a 50/50 mix with distilled water.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Showcars

You don't need to use Z-6 every time you polish. I recommend you use it BEFORE polishing (to make sure you have your surface as clean as possible before polishing). Following up with Z-6 will help clean up any remaining polish residue, and also help cut down on "static cling" that tends to attract dust. I'd recommend you do that the day AFTER you polish.

As for diluting Z-6, the old formula did yeild good results when you diluted it with distilled water. This was usually helpful when you were using it as a quick clean-up on a car that was in the sun. In this case you would spray a towel with Z-6 and wipe the car with the moist towel (you shouldn't spray Z-6 on a hot car, as it will dry too quickly and can leave streaks). The current Z-6 formula doesn't need dilution.

If you use it sparingly, Z-6 will last a LONG time. You've just got to make sure you get a super-fine mist. If your towel ends up wet, you're probably using too much.

Just to stick up for Sal, he *does* recommend other company's products - WHEN THEY WORK! I've been working with him for at least 5 years, and he has told me to go buy non-Zaino products to work on specific problems. However, when it comes to Z-6, I haven't found a substitute that adds UV protectant, doesn't add oils (which turn your car into a dirt magnet) and doesn't dull the finish. If you did find such a thing, would it be less than $9.95?

--
Doug
Showcars of Texas
Authorized Zaino Distrubutor
512-310-8174
Old 04-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmmmmm

A wise and powerful Jedi was master Sal.

Learned well the ways of the Zainoite Jedi did he.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:45 PM
g35cfan

I thought that you were supposed to apply Z-6 after each and every coat? Going to really get down to business this weekend. Been dying to apply some Zaino on my G35 coupe. Hope to get at least two coats of Z-5 in and two or three more of Z-2 with Z-6 all up in between it. Plus some claying. How long you think that will take? 6 hours?
Old 04-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Kevin V

To get the best results, a slicker finish and no static you need the Z-6.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:22 AM
iris

Originally posted by g35cfan
I thought that you were supposed to apply Z-6 after each and every coat? Going to really get down to business this weekend. Been dying to apply some Zaino on my G35 coupe. Hope to get at least two coats of Z-5 in and two or three more of Z-2 with Z-6 all up in between it. Plus some claying. How long you think that will take? 6 hours?
yeah, i think so. i was a total car and washing noobie and it took me like 3 or 4 to do it the first time: dawn wash, clay, zaino wash, only 1 coat of z-5 (even though I used zfx, i still waited to take it off), then z-6.

that's FIVE coats you want? that's a lot of waiting time for the coats to dry, even with zfx, i think. Am I right?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Kevin V

With using the ZFX additive, you can apply 3 back to back coats in a single day.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:45 PM
g35cfan

Well, I finally did it. Started Friday morning. Dawn wash, followed by clay bar. Man, that clay bar is a PITA. Didn't pick up too much, seeing as how my G coupe is new, but it did pick up some minute pieces of dirt. I was a little tentative at first, but with enough lubricant, I was able to really get at the dirt. Followed up with two coats of Z-5 with Z-6 in between each coat. Didn't have to wait long for it to cure. Put it on, and after I finished the whole car, started taking it off where I first started. I was hoping the Z-5 would cover the small scratch I accidentally put on the bumper, but it didn't. I was stupid and accidentally brushed the garden hose against the bumper, causing a small scratch. You can barely see it now, but I can tell it's stll there (it sucsks, coupe was only 1 day old). Saturday, I went out driving. Got home and there was a ton of pollen on my car. It was about 6 in the evening and I didn't really have any plans, so I quickly washed my baby and pulled her into the garage. My neighbor thought I was nuts ... washing my coupe two days in a row. Applied two coats of Z-2 with Z-6 only after the last coat. I was getting a bit lazy. Sunday morning, I woke up and decided to put another coat of Z-5. All I can say is that I love this Zaino. Never used it before. It's a bit of a hassle, but the results are spectacular. I have a diamond graphite, and the paint is silky smooth and the reflection is awesome. If only the pollen would subside. I also used the Zaino leather conditioner. I spent about 10 hours throughout the whole weekend on my coupe. I don't think I spent that much time all last year cleaning my truck .

Quick Reply: Detail spray, always have to use Z-6 if Zaino'd?