Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Surface Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:51 AM
tyagoda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Surface Scratches

I just got my Super Black Z out of storage and noticed circular scratches on the hood and some on side (guessing from winter cover). I'm wondering what the best product is for buffing/getting these out.

Please advise.

Thanks from MinneZota
Old 04-16-2003, 08:44 AM
Bazazu

Default Hrmm

Well -

As for the scratches, you have a couple options. Try to use products like Zaino, and such to "cover" them. They have certain mixes that will gradually over time buff/fill the scratches. Of course if they are too deep it won't make much of a difference.

2nd option is to have it retouched. A professional body shop could probably refinish the surface and make it look like new. Your talking a few hundred dollars though per panel

And nice to see another Z member in minnesota!! Didn't think there was many up here. I live in the south metro area (apple valley etc) Only seen 3 different Z's around, a total of 5 times, seen 2 of them twice.

If your interested, stop on over at www.mnsportcompact.net we have a bunch of fellow minnesota car enthusiasts over there.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:48 AM
webrits

If they're only very fine scratches you might want to try Meguiers Scratch-X, I used it on my SB Z to remove Bird crap etching, it did such a good job I used it to remove superfine scratches.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:57 AM
tyagoda

All - Thanks for the advice.

They are very "thin" surface scratches. You really can't see them unless you are standing over the car. In any case, I've only driven it twice (from dealer to storage and storage to house) so it was upsetting to see any type of markings on the car.

I'll check out the website. I live in St. Anthony Main, blocks from the river....
Old 04-16-2003, 03:37 PM
labshark7

The best product in the world for this is 3-M fine swirl remover.

Black and Dark Colors will show they type of scratching more than light colors. I know the damage you are speaking of and it is super easy to remove.

I am not crazy about Zaino for this particular use, as you are not fixing the damage, you are only covering it up. As soon as the Zaino breaks down you will have to repeat the procedure over and over!

Get a good microfiber towel and some 3-M, folowed by a good polish then a protectant/wax (you could use Zaino for the polish and wax).

my .02,
Eric
Old 04-17-2003, 04:24 AM
ZpikeZ

Default Re: Hrmm

Originally posted by Bazazu
Well -

As for the scratches, you have a couple options. Try to use products like Zaino, and such to "cover" them. They have certain mixes that will gradually over time buff/fill the scratches. Of course if they are too deep it won't make much of a difference.

2nd option is to have it retouched. A professional body shop could probably refinish the surface and make it look like new. Your talking a few hundred dollars though per panel there.

A few hundred bucks per panel???? I went to a detail shop asking if they could buff out small scratches and they said it was only 20 bucks per panel. Does this seem right???
Old 04-17-2003, 05:57 AM
Bazazu

Default Ok you got me

I was actually thinking they were some bad scratches. But yes, if they are very light surface scratches, a body shop could use some very basic rubbing compounds with a buffer and smooth them out.

I was actualy thinking that they were deep enough to require re-clear coating the panel, which would cost a couple hundred depending on panel size etc