Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Car Wash: Non-potable Well Water

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
juju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Wash: Non-potable Well Water

So I'm picking up my Z later today (I hope) and would like to give her a bath before I take it up to the office tomorrow. My apartment complex has a car wash station with free water to use.

There's a sign that says "Car Wash uses Non-Potable Well Water."

Non-potable simply means that you can't drink it. Basically non-potable water is water that hasn't been purified or cleansed of impurities as much as, say, the water from your faucet.

My only concern is that maybe this could be harmful to the paint? From what I've heard regarding the quality of Nissan's paint, I want to be as careful as possible when taking care of it.

Just curious if anyone else has any experience with this or knows any information on it. The apartment's car wash station is really my only option, aside from having it professionally cleaned. Obviously I'd like to save money, but not at the cost of harming the car. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as it isn't swamp water, it'll be fine. Just don't let water sit on it for a while in the sun.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The mineral content of the water will probably be high so you definitely don't want the water drying on the car - that will lave hard water spots. You'll have to dry it with a towel.

Other than that, there shouldn't be any harm in using well water.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Accordaleer

Should be fine, Ive washed all my cars with shitty well water and paint is still fine. Keep it waxed and dont let the water dry on it like they said.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

I'm not familiar with this water and how safe it is or how not safe it is on your vehicle. Hopefully some of the members here can help clarify. Another option would be to fill up a bucket of water from your apt and then use the Optimum No Rinse. It's a car wash solution that doesn't have to be rinsed after. It's been a savior for those people who live in apartments and people living in areas with water restrictions or freezing temps. Use this with a Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge and you'll be thrilled with the results of a safe and effective washing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image