Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to get rid of a smell inside your 350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Jrussell42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get rid of a smell inside your 350z

I just bought my first 350z 3 days ago. The owner before garaged it over the winter and now the car has a musty smell from his garage. I don't want to use air fresheners because they are tacky, smell bad and, just cover the smell not get rid of it. I am looking for that will absorb or get rid of the smell. So I am just asking if anyone has ever heard of anything that would help.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Musty Smell Removal: Helpful Products

A series of products on the market are specially formulated to mask musty odors. A good number of them can even be used to kill fungi, molds and mildew. The funny thing is, some of the items are readily found in almost every household.

Vinegar – The strong acidity of vinegar is potent enough to kill fungi. The smell-causing organisms won't survive constant contact with corrosive the kitchen condiment for long periods. You can pour vinegar solution in an area filled with molds and mildew before washing. It will surely speed up the process of removing unwanted home smells.
Lemon Solution – Just like vinegar, lemon's high acidity can wipe out groups of molds and fungi. Mix natural lemon juice with some water to create a potent cleaning solution. When the fungi-killing liquid is ready, apply it on the areas associated with the musty odor then rinse them with soap and water. The bad odor should be nothing but a distant memory right after.
Baking Soda – Spreading baking soda across a moldy area will reduce or even eliminate the musty odor. The condiment's powdery base will absorb the scent, so using a significant amount can actually make the odor disappear, though you sill need to clean the moldy areas if you want to truly get rid of the annoying aroma.
Hydrochloric Acid – For musty bathrooms, hydrochloric acid, also called muriatic acid, is probably the best cleaning solution available. It is more aggressive on fungi than either vinegar or lemon juice. It can wipe out an entire community of molds upon contact. Just make sure that you use it only for the bathroom, since its corrosiveness can also damage wood.
Kill mold spores using chlorine dioxide. This is used on boats to control musty odors, and in libraries to control outbreaks of mildew. There are several convenient sources of small amounts of chlorine dioxide that are sold for use in boats and closets.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

+1 on the damp rid... my window seal was bad and it let water in my Z. I put 4 of these things in there(overkill yes I know) and it killed the damp stank.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Jrussell42

Thank you! I just ordered one on amazon!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM

See if there's anyone in your area that can treat it with ozone. I bought a Porsche that sat in a barn for 7 years. 24 hours later, it smelled like new!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop

Musty Smell Removal: Helpful Products

A series of products on the market are specially formulated to mask musty odors. A good number of them can even be used to kill fungi, molds and mildew. The funny thing is, some of the items are readily found in almost every household.

Vinegar – The strong acidity of vinegar is potent enough to kill fungi. The smell-causing organisms won't survive constant contact with corrosive the kitchen condiment for long periods. You can pour vinegar solution in an area filled with molds and mildew before washing. It will surely speed up the process of removing unwanted home smells.
Lemon Solution – Just like vinegar, lemon's high acidity can wipe out groups of molds and fungi. Mix natural lemon juice with some water to create a potent cleaning solution. When the fungi-killing liquid is ready, apply it on the areas associated with the musty odor then rinse them with soap and water. The bad odor should be nothing but a distant memory right after.
Baking Soda – Spreading baking soda across a moldy area will reduce or even eliminate the musty odor. The condiment's powdery base will absorb the scent, so using a significant amount can actually make the odor disappear, though you sill need to clean the moldy areas if you want to truly get rid of the annoying aroma.
Hydrochloric Acid – For musty bathrooms, hydrochloric acid, also called muriatic acid, is probably the best cleaning solution available. It is more aggressive on fungi than either vinegar or lemon juice. It can wipe out an entire community of molds upon contact. Just make sure that you use it only for the bathroom, since its corrosiveness can also damage wood.
Kill mold spores using chlorine dioxide. This is used on boats to control musty odors, and in libraries to control outbreaks of mildew. There are several convenient sources of small amounts of chlorine dioxide that are sold for use in boats and closets.
What he said. I am also not a fan of air fresheners.

Open the doors on a sunny day when the humidity is less than 50 percent. Remove all carpet mats.

Baking soda. You can put an open container under the seat. Also sprinkle the carpet with baking soda. Vacuum after 24 hours.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

running the AC in the summer and then immediately shutting off the car and leaving it to sit will create a funk as well.. there is spray available at autoparts stores that gets sprayed down your wiper cowl whilelcar is running w the AC at full blast.. be outside the car while you do this.. it is a good clean smell and is also an anti fungal..