Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

applying Zaino, let me get this straight.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 03:18 PM
TamaraZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all- very new to the Z experience...and loving every minute! Someone here mentioned "kevin" as an alternative to the Zaino store. Can you give me more info as to whether this is the route to go?
Thx!
Old 09-12-2004, 03:25 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll PM you Kevin's info.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:44 PM
zzz350

I need Kevin's ifo also, please
Old 09-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Zcollector

Originally posted by mikejofgb
My car looks great after Zaino (super black) but after a few car washes the spider webbing reappears. So I have put a couple other coats on and it looks better. At some point, will the spider webbing not reappear? How many layers will that take???

Thanks for the feedback - I do appreciate it. Mike
Spider webbing will alway reappear over time with any and all wax or polymer polishes. What they do is simply "fill in" the light scratches and or swirls. When the wax or polish degrades over time, the scratches will come back, since they were not "removed" in the first place.

In order to remove scratches, swirls or spider webbing, you would need to abrade away a microscopic layer of the clearcoat with a "compound". You do not need anything real agressive, but Zaino Z5 is a non-abrasive polish, and will not do the trick. Z5, will however, hide the scratches or spiderwebbing. Depending on how bad they are, you may need 2-5 coats of Z5 to make them not noticable, then you would need to reapply Z5 fairly regularly, since any polymer polish will degrade over time.

To take care of the spiderwebbing permanantly, here is what I have done. I have a Super Black Z, which shows all imperfections easily, so this process definately works well.

First: Get a Porter Cable 7242 Random Orbital Buffer, 1 Orange Power Pad, 1 White Foam Pad, a handful of Microfiber buffing cloths, 1 bottle of Menzerna Intensive Polish, 1 bottle of Menzerna Final Polish II, and any wax or polymer polish that you like to finish with. Zaino works really well for the final coat. All of these things, except Zaino, are available at www.properautocare.com Zaino is available at www.Zainostore.com

Start by washing your car with any concentrate car wash. Stay away from Dawn, as it will degrade and discolor your plastic and rubber trim on the exterior of the car. If you use it "once in a while" for the Zaino process, you should be fine. I use Turtle wax premium wash concentrate.

Next, grab the PC7424, with the Orange Power Pad, and start with the Menzerna Intensive Polish, and apply in figure 8's until the patch you are working with is dry, then buff off with the buffing cloth. This polish will take away any old wax or polish, bug guts, rail dust, etc that has been stuck to your car's surface, and leave it squeaky clean. It also abrades away your swirls and spiderwebbing, REMOVING them from the paint's surface. Repeat the process for any deeper scratches.

After the Intensive Polish, change to the white pad on the PC, and apply a layer of Menzerna Final Polish, the same way as you did the intensive polish. Again, remove with the buffing cloth. This will prep the paint's surface to a mirror like finish, which is now ready for any polymer polish or wax. The question here is what look are you going for? Zaino is a good "polish", that has a remarkable shine, but some say it is a sterile look, unless you heavily layer the polish. I, however, was VERY impressed with 1 coat of Z5, followed by 1 coat of Z2, after doing the above process with the PC 7424.

If you want the Deep, liquid finish on your Z, you may want to use Zaino Z2, then follow with a high quality WAX, to give you the "depth" and shimmer shine. Choose a #1 Ivory Carnuba paste wax for this effect. Most waxes you can layer as well, but they typically don't last as long as a polymer polish does.

The KEY to keeping Spiderwebbing and Swirls from coming back is to ALWAYS use a Sheepskin wash mit when washing, and dry using either a leaf blower, or a microfiber drying towel such as the "Big Blue Towel", again from properautocare. NEVER let a standard Terry Towel touch your paint, and never use a bath towel, shop towels, or chamois.

Wax the car every other month, or polish the car every 3-4 months, as it will again, degrade over time, leaving the paint vulnerable to the elements. Or, you can Zaino every month or more, to get the results like Dr. Bonz did.
Attached Thumbnails applying Zaino, let me get this straight.-eos-350z-pictures-035_rja.jpg  
Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 AM
mrZeee

now that reflection is all about depth...NICE...I don't care what product was used!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 AM
bhobson333

Great post, Zcollector!

Last edited by bhobson333; 09-20-2004 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:43 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. Very Nice!