Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Meguiars Clay bar how do you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 04:00 PM
zorrocar1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiars Clay bar how do you use it?

Hey guys what is the correct way to claybar your car. I tried it and left some clay streaks on the hood. No problem they buffed out fine but I don;t know if I am pressing too hard or not hard enough or using enough solution when I apply the clay bar. I am a mess help please. I mainly use the clay bar to get the stupid bugs off the front of my car.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:28 PM
pburgh

Default Re: Meguiars Clay bar how do you use it?

No lines should be left provided you use PLENTY of lubricant as you go (keep it clean in here!). I use a quick detailer spray when I clay and I've never had a problem. Don't put a ton of pressure on the clay, just enough to make it feel like it's doing something (if that makes sense).

Just keep spraying that stuff on as you clay... and make sure the hood is cool as well.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Kevin Overall

The Meguiars clay bar is known to leave clay on the surface, when I tried it I got a refund from Meguiars in cash years and years ago, Mothers, Zaino, and blue clay majic will not transfer clay on the surface provided you flood the paint with lube and do not clay bar it till it is dry, the paint should be cool also....
Old 07-05-2004, 08:15 PM
350zdanny

I prefer the Zaino clay, but most of high quality manufacturers put out a good clay. What I do as far as a lubricant is a mixture of Zaino Z6 and water. Any quick detailer is fine. I prefer to dilute them a bit.

Knead the clay alot as well, so you don't use a contaminated surface on your paint. As the clay picks up more and more crap you want to make sure you're using the cleanest surface possible so you don't leave any surface scratching.

Also, like pitts and kevin said, make sure you don't apply too much pressure, and make sure the surface is relatively cool. In my experience though, the streaks are left when you clay a spot that doesn't have enough lubricant.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:58 AM
zorrocar1

Originally posted by 350zdanny
I prefer the Zaino clay, but most of high quality manufacturers put out a good clay. What I do as far as a lubricant is a mixture of Zaino Z6 and water. Any quick detailer is fine. I prefer to dilute them a bit.

Knead the clay alot as well, so you don't use a contaminated surface on your paint. As the clay picks up more and more crap you want to make sure you're using the cleanest surface possible so you don't leave any surface scratching.

Also, like pitts and kevin said, make sure you don't apply too much pressure, and make sure the surface is relatively cool. In my experience though, the streaks are left when you clay a spot that doesn't have enough lubricant.

Ok thanks guys I will give it another try like you guys said
Old 07-19-2004, 06:44 PM
nuttyprof

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
The Meguiars clay bar is known to leave clay on the surface, when I tried it I got a refund from Meguiars in cash years and years ago, Mothers, Zaino, and blue clay majic will not transfer clay on the surface provided you flood the paint with lube and do not clay bar it till it is dry, the paint should be cool also....
wait, so you spray some water on there, then wait for it to dry, then claybar? is that what you mean?

or is it spray, then use clay with some water? this is hard.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
1) wash the car
2) dry well, try not to let the water spot. Move the car into a garage, and let the paint cool.
3) make some "lube"- clean water, a drop of soap per 8 ounces or so of water, in a spray bottle. A couple drops of isopropyl alcohol can also help
4) spray a spot on the car about a foot in diameter.
5) gently rub with the clay, until you feel the friction drop dramatically.
6) do not rub hard. If the clay heats up (too little lube), it can streak,which does not hurt anything, just makes a mess and more work
I work in a circular pattern, or a figure eight until the clay does not drag on the surface. Keep the surface wet with the lube.
7) do a panel at a time, and wipe with a clean microfiber cloth and more of the spray.
8) when you are done, you can wash the car again to make sure that any residue is gone.
9) the paint should feel like a baby's skin.
Patience is a true virtue when claying.....