Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Blotchy interior door panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 12:28 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blotchy interior door panel

Due to the texture of these door panels I haven't been able to get a uniform look. It looked like that the day I picked it up.

I've tried working smaller areas and regulate the amount of Aerospace 303 but when you back off it still is not even.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-18-2002, 12:35 PM
zPilott

I am having this problem too, but I haven't had time to go back and try it again yet.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:47 PM
Brad4rdHay

Spray a TERRY towel liberally (don't soak it though), and rub it on to the clean surface like your hand polishing the car, in little circles. Then make sure to wait 5-10 min, then buff off with a clean, dry towel. I do this and the "reptile skin" looks great.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:37 AM
screech

I also purchased some of the 303 to use on the interior of my car. It looked great everywhere except on the inside door panels. Left them all blotchy looking. Wasn't sure if i didn't apply it right or it was the material on the doors that made it look that way.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:13 AM

's Avatar

What is Aerospace 303 and is this available in stores?
Old 10-19-2002, 11:29 AM
vicmar90

I had the same problem and it took a few weeks before I was able to get rid of the blotchiness. All I do now is clean the panel with a sponge and car wash soap and then get the soap off with plain water and another sponge. I then dry it. It looks nice and clean. Of course, it does not have any shine but I am afraid to put any protectant on them again.
Victor
Old 10-19-2002, 02:01 PM
Brad4rdHay

Ok, Im chiming in on this toipic again because it's really not the best idea to leave large sections of interior vinyl/plastic un-protected from the sun if you want to have the car lookng tip top years down the road.

The key with the reptile skin, and any textured surface, is an even coat, and getting in all the little dips. The way to acomplish that is to NOT spray the protectant directly on the surface (should never do this BTW, just a way for the company to make you use more product). Spray onto a terry towel, as the pile of the towel will get the protectat in all the dips and grooves of the texture. Then let it dry fully. What I do is just cover all the surfaces (saving the seats for last as I sit in them when doing this) with the protectant, THEN comming back with a new towel and buffing dry. I do this with 303 and get great results. The doors are tricky, yes, but if you follow those steps, it will look pretty good.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:02 PM
vicmar90

Okay. I'll give this a try.
Victor
Old 10-20-2002, 03:27 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Spray a TERRY towel liberally (don't soak it though), and rub it on to the clean surface like your hand polishing the car, in little circles. Then make sure to wait 5-10 min, then buff off with a clean, dry towel. I do this and the "reptile skin" looks great.
Thanks. I'll keep trying. I already use a terry cloth and spray it not the vinyl. I probably just need to work it in better.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:33 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by dobbuster
What is Aerospace 303 and is this available in stores?
Here's where you can read all about it and buy it too. Gives a very nice finish on vinyl, ordorless too (can't stand the chemical smell of all the others).

Even though you supposedly can use it on plastic coated leather I found that it makes it too slippery even after wiping it down afterwards. I redid my leather with Lexol.

http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html
Old 10-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Brad4rdHay

Clarification, what I talk about isn't really plastic coated leather as much as it is finished leather. But yes, I still recomend using 303 over conditioners on the seats. The sliperyness goes away after about 2 days.

zwindsor, my door panels look good, but not perfect, and looked slightly blotchy in sunlight, but it evens out after a week.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:47 AM
zPilott

you can do a search for local retailers if you are like me and can't wait to get somethign shipped. I had to pick mine up (also picked up the fabric guard) at a toyota dealership.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?...retailersearch
Old 10-24-2002, 07:42 AM
Zoro

Default Brad

Brad I know your 303 guy, but if I can't get it at the local store I just buy something else.

I picked up a bottle of meguiars vinyl and rubber cleaner. Have you ever used this stuff? I also have the armor all which I heard is bad, son of a gun and some turtle wax leather cleaner.
So far I haven't used any of this stuff on the car but it's time to clean it up before storage so of the items listed above which would be my best choice?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2002, 09:32 AM
zPilott

if you use the link I posted above, it lists 99 retailers in MI.