Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Whats Better For Drifting. Supercharger or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12AutoX
I enjoy autocross, track events, and drifting. Drifting has been the most challenging of the three. It is easy to fishtail, lose and regain control of a skidding car, or achieve a 10% slip angle in a turn. It is much more challenging to maintain a 30-40% slip angle while maintaining speed and transitioning through turns. I don't know how the tandem drifters can pull it off. Those who don't respect drifting are generally those who haven't taken the challenge to learn to do it right.
BTW, I run N/A with just 3.9 final drive gears and a 1.5 way LSD.

What class do you autox in with those mods?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
LouiZ

Originally Posted by TUNER350
how can drifting be the dumbest ricer thing ever please enlighten me ?
its so rice...it takes talent to do it right (dudes an idiot)
Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM
CdaZ

Originally Posted by Z04
how about neither, since drifting is the dumbest ricer thing ever invented. also losing traction when going WOT and having F/I of any kind can lead to fatal engine consequences.
HUAHUAHUA! lets see you try it....ignorance is bliss....
Old 03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
WangZ808

Originally Posted by Z04
how about neither, since drifting is the dumbest ricer thing ever invented. also losing traction when going WOT and having F/I of any kind can lead to fatal engine consequences.

this could be the dumbest comment ever invented..
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
617G

Originally Posted by Z04
sig worthy lmao
Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Rev-em-hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z04
how about neither, since drifting is the dumbest ricer thing ever invented. also losing traction when going WOT and having F/I of any kind can lead to fatal engine consequences
^TOOL!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Th31f

Originally Posted by Z04
Stupid statement

Originally Posted by 12AutoX
It is easy to fishtail, lose and regain control of a skidding car, or achieve a 10% slip angle in a turn. It is much more challenging to maintain a 30-40% slip angle while maintaining speed and transitioning through turns.
One of, if not the best response ive seen in a while

Edit* Id still like his reasoning as to why its the "dumbest ricer thing ever"

Last edited by Th31f; 03-29-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Wraith

Thanks for the response guys. I was just curious. abviously i dont know much about drifting and thats why i asked. i figured the supercharger for quicker spool and response but the turbo has more power obviously, but how much power do you need for drifting, no that much i imagine. I see 300-400 horse power range on the drift competition. is that about right?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think either would be good for drifting as long as the turbo isn't too big.

honestly though I think weight and handling are more important than raw power for drifting

the power is just there to balance the level of grip/compound of the tires being used so you can get more extreme drifts

Last edited by sentry65; 03-29-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 PM
12AutoX

Originally Posted by Fluid1
What class do you autox in with those mods?
I'm stuck in SM2 thanks to the gears. Since I'm there, I got a Wilwood BBK and am debating a forced induction future (aren't we all?) Suprisingly, I am still marginally competitive even with the tremendous handicap- the car is good on the right rubber. The driver (always) need more work to make the most of it's potential.

As for drifting with forced induction, it is supposedly a lot easier to maintain a drift thanks to all the rubber churning torque. The downside is that it also generates a lot more heat, an engine's worst enemy. I would personally want to get a lot more experience drifting N/A (and get a tire sponsor) before moving on to an F/I setup.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

turbo FTW
Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Rev-em-hard

I drift N/A and the Z has plenty of power out the box. I must say that i have no problems drifting in third gear at high speeds with an open diff.you really dont need to focus on the power of your Z unless you are going to be competing in formula D any time soon lol.Just focus your money on steering angle(tie rods, ect),suspension parts to assist with body roll and center point of gravity,LSD, and tires,tires,tires. The best mod you could ever get for drifting is practice.The picture posted below is me at my very first drift event.I have never even attempted drifting and i was told i wasnt going to be able to drift with an open diff. well below are pics that prove otherwise.My only mods were tanabe GF springs, and DNX exaust and y-pipe.So you see? you dont really need anything to drift your Z.Got my flame suit on so go ahead and bash if you guys want to.thanks

Last edited by Rev-em-hard; 03-29-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
jaida86

Originally Posted by Rev-em-hard
I drift N/A and the Z has plenty of power out the box. I must say that i have no problems drifting in third gear at high speeds with an open diff.you really dont need to focus on the power of your Z unless you are going to be competing in formula D any time soon lol.Just focus your money on steering angle(tie rods, ect),suspension parts to assist with body roll and center point of gravity,LSD, and tires,tires,tires. The best mod you could ever get for drifting is practice.The picture posted below is me at my very first drift event.I have never even attempted drifting and i was told i wasnt going to be able to drift with an open diff. well below are pics that prove otherwise.My only mods were tanabe GF springs, and DNX exaust and y-pipe.So you see? you dont really need anything to drift your Z.Got my flame suite on so go ahead and bash if you guys want to.thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CdaZ
HUAHUAHUA! lets see you try it....ignorance is bliss....

no thanks, i enjoy keeping tires on my car
Old 03-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Rev-em-hard

your an idiot. You may like one particular sport more then the other but there is no reason to bash on the one you dont like. What you are doing right now is the equivilent to going to a football game and screaming football sucks. Your a tool! Stop posting bad comments about drifting in the drifting section. you will lose.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 PM
carfi179

Originally Posted by Z04
no thanks, i enjoy keeping tires on my car
Take your mullet head back to the chevy forum OP BTW: like other said depends on your driving skills IMO turbo.

Last edited by carfi179; 03-30-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by Rev-em-hard
your an idiot. You may like one particular sport more then the other but there is no reason to bash on the one you dont like. What you are doing right now is the equivilent to going to a football game and screaming football sucks. Your a tool! Stop posting bad comments about drifting in the drifting section. you will lose.
if you want to really call it a "sport" rather than a fad, then go ahead. i know this is becoming such a big thing in the racing circles, and this was originally not in the drifting forum. my opinion is just what i said, the history of it was made popular from street racing, which is another ricer fad. so no reason to call anyone names, and if you do not like my comments, then do not read them or comment on them. thank you very much. BTW, keep your head down and you *** covered in Iraq, come back in one piece.

Last edited by Z04; 03-31-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by carfi179
Take your mullet head back to the chevy forum.
very funny. definitely not true but whatever
Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Rev-em-hard

Originally Posted by Z04
if you want to really call it a "sport" rather than a fad, then go ahead. i know this is becoming such a big thing in the racing circles, and this was originally not in the drifting forum. my opinion is just what i said, the history of it was made popular from street racing, which is another ricer fad. so no reason to call anyone names, and if you do not like my comments, then do not read them or comment on them. thank you very much. BTW, keep your head down and you *** covered in Iraq, come back in one piece.
well if you feel a certain way about something then keep the negative comments to yourself.sorry for the name calling. it was kinda immature but also remember that you said the things you said in a thread that was started only to ask what route is best, not what you think of the sport.BTW, thanks for the comment about iraq. it is my second year out here and i finally get to come home in september . sorry about the hostility.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM
chishifu

i'm curious how you're drifting the open diff. I've got a base model myself and sure it'll be sideways occasionally when I open it up too much at autox, but otherwise my inside wheel just spins like a ****. I've never actually pushed it that hard in 3rd, but from my experience, 1st = pure inside wheespin, 2nd = maybe losing some traction but it corrects pretty easily.

Quick Reply: Whats Better For Drifting. Supercharger or Turbo?