Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Open lot for rent to drift; need advice on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:26 PM
sharaabi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open lot for rent to drift; need advice on what to do

In a couple of weeks, an open lot will be avalable for drifting. The lot is privately owned and will be set up with cones and a couple of people will be directing traffic so everyone gets a fair chance to have fun.

The lot will be eventually used to build some complex but in the mean while anyone is invited and as long as you can spread the word using word of mouth, everyone is welcome.

I have never drifted my MT Z but I had a couple of questions.

1. Is there anything I can do to get less traction? loosen the rod over the engine?

2. disable ABS?

3. purchase tires...and if i do, how long do they usually last?

I'm sorry I like to watch drift sessions but dont know much about the work put and money spent doing it.

thanks and sorry for my ignorance.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1. wat? do you mean the strut tower brace? you can drift a stock Z very easily with feint and weight transfer. no need to loosen anything.
2. pull the abs plug thats next to the control box in your engine bay. its a grey connectors where the brake lines go into. your SLIP ABS TCS and VDC lights will all be on inside the dash, which will let you know you've disabled it all.
3. depends on how hard ur drifting. if ur just doing donuts. your rear tires will last at least two sessions if they're new or semi new.

even if it is privately owned.... you might have noise ordinance you have to be in accordance with within city limits.. then there is the liability issue with the people that own that parking lot. just be sure you figure it out. sounds like this is just a go to the park until u get kicked out by the cops deal...
Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 PM
sharaabi

Originally Posted by Chebosto
1. wat? do you mean the strut tower brace? you can drift a stock Z very easily with feint and weight transfer. no need to loosen anything.
2. pull the abs plug thats next to the control box in your engine bay. its a grey connectors where the brake lines go into. your SLIP ABS TCS and VDC lights will all be on inside the dash, which will let you know you've disabled it all.
3. depends on how hard ur drifting. if ur just doing donuts. your rear tires will last at least two sessions if they're new or semi new.

even if it is privately owned.... you might have noise ordinance you have to be in accordance with within city limits.. then there is the liability issue with the people that own that parking lot. just be sure you figure it out. sounds like this is just a go to the park until u get kicked out by the cops deal...

thanks for the responses... I sincerely appreciate it.

the lot is an industrial area right outside Chicago and its neighboring factories do not have people working past 7pm...........the area has been recently resurfaced and the factory will not be open till October. One of the owners has a mustang and invited some of his friends. I hope im not taking a bad risk but there could be a chance f they really wanted to pin something they prolly could.

thanks again.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
sennett0r

you should definately try to make it out to a "real" drift event where they have instructors so you can learn.

As for your tires, it depends on the surface you're drifting on and how hard you're driving...

Do you have a LSD? If I recall correctly, any 350z besides a 'base' model has a VLSD. My friend drifts his Z with a VLSD all day no problem..