Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Hydro E Brake Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Zlut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydro E Brake Help

Hey guys, looking for a little hydro ebrake install help.
I am installing this into a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. I have owned 2 350z's in the past and now own this.

I have read over and over DIY on installing them into the car but I'm still lost. Most do not answer some questions I have.

I bought a hydro from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Hydraulic-Handbrake-ebrake-Racing-Hydro-drift-Purple-Brake-Lever-/261677859961?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ced374479&vxp=mtr
Cheap yea I know, I get what I pay for and stuff. But this is what my budget is allowing to get because I'm rushing to get the car together for Drift Nirvana next weekend.

1.The master cylinder..what size fittings do I need to get for the hydro master?
What size fittings do I need to put into my ABS block?

2. Where can I get brake lines at? Do I have to order them from the internet? Or can I go to my local parts store and get line? How long do the lines need to be and what size line?

3. Also, I need someone to help me with swapping the lines at the ABS block.

The seller of this hydro did not state what size the master cylinder was :/....I hope its big enough.

Any help and input is appreciated as Im rushing to get the car ready.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

I would think, but not 100 % that you would just run a line to your rear brakes with some sort of spliter or like t line fitting. or run a second set of rear brakes.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:20 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

good luck getting it ready, i dont see it happening personally
Old 12-01-2014, 11:12 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

OP, what does a fellow member have to do to have you stop saying hydro and start saying hydrau...

hydro = water
hydrau = stuff in a tube pushing other stuff

thanks a million...
Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like you know too little about this to even attempt drifting.... I don't know anyone who drifts that would actually ask these simple questions... You can do a simple google search for 350z brake lines and you'll have tons of options to buy from... Z1 motorsports will probably have everything your looking for, and will be quality.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:51 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't NEED a hydraulic brake for drifting. If you've slid the Z's before, the G35 is noticeably heavier. However, in stock form with some nice brakes (and hopefully you got the brembos if you got an 03...otherwise, what's the point), the G slides fine. I've been doing it for a couple years with no hydro and no issues...and a suspension setup that makes things slightly less predictable than I'd like.

Don't rush the e-brake. If this is your first time, there's like 4 or 5 lights you're gonna get too. And they're just THERE now. They're never going away. lol.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should not worry about setting up the e brake in time because it just won't happen especially if you have never done it before. When I do run my hydraulic e brake I will be doing the full wilwood master and second caliper. Look more at setting up the suspension right, because you will be a better drifter that way. What sort of suspension are you running? Coils, linkage, everything?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z Project X
hydraulic
f'n thank you!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 PM
350Z Project X

Originally Posted by bealljk
f'n thank you!!!
Maybe with the Ebay one he will push water then it will be a hydro e brake. lmao
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Nackers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. They don't give any details about the cylinder, so unless someone has had experience with this particular one, nobody could say.

However, if I had to guess I would say either 3/8" or 10mm. Once you receive it take it to a parts store and have them match the fittings to it.

As far as the chassis side, 10mm. I found it difficult to get metric fittings in my area so I swapped everything to 3/8" during the process.

2. Brake line, depending how fancy you want to get, you can get online. But judging from your first post, you can just goto the parts store and get 3/8" steel line. I bought 20' and I don't remember how much I had left over. You could do an approximate measurement to get an idea if price is really an issue, but its not bad to have extra brake line sitting around just in case.

3. I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but the lines in the ABS block should be labeled.

I hope this helps man.

"I feel like you know too little about this to even attempt drifting.... I don't know anyone who drifts that would actually ask these simple questions..."

Really? So everyone you know knows everything about everything? They've never been a beginner at anything in their life? Cool.

And because someone isn't what you perceive as knowledgeable means they shouldn't even attempt to drive? Shut up. I've met some really good drivers who don't know the difference between a phillips and a flat head.

As a side note, I don't know exactly how much time you have to get this done, but it does take a while do install. My first time took me 2 days. But, I didn't have the information available back then and having to wait for the parts store to re-open to pick up a few more things.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:58 AM
driftsucky

I don't think he knows enough to attempt installing one in a short amount of time. If he knows how to drive, he knows enough to drift.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Nackers

Drive = drift

There really isn't a lot to know. Everything is already laid out from people (myself included) before him.

I don't know the guy. I can't judge his knowledge too much by a post asking for help from people who should know the answers. But I'd say that seems pretty smart.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 AM
350Z Project X

Originally Posted by Nackers
Drive = drift

There really isn't a lot to know. Everything is already laid out from people (myself included) before him.

I don't know the guy. I can't judge his knowledge too much by a post asking for help from people who should know the answers. But I'd say that seems pretty smart.
Yeah I have read the DIY's on this and its not hard. The guy probably just isn't mechanically inclined
I myself will be doing it but on its own master cylinder the right way with a second caliper. Wilwood FTW!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Zlut

Wow. So much hate with just wanting some help haha. I didnt order this e brake because I would rather save my money and time by purchasing a ASDmotorsports 16in pull back, maverick motorsports dual caliper bracket and running it to my rear calipers.

1.(bealljk) As far as me saying Hydro(instead of Hydrau)...everyone else and there mom in the drifting world calls it...HYDRO. Apprently you havent ever been around the drifting community. +1 for me because youre just a troll who had no information on how to help me install a Hydraulic E brake into my G35.

2. (fookhonda) I know more than you. I promise. LOL Also, Z1 motorsports has nothing to do with the drifting community. My friend and I have tried to get them to but they simply wont. So NO, they do not have EVERYTHING I need.

3.(driftsucky) This was my first time drifting on a track. At the end of the day, I could 100% say a Hydro would have helped out ALOT! There were so many times I needed it and could have used it. Have you ever drifted on a track or just open parking lot? When your doing 60+mph and need to adjust a Hydro ebrake defintley helps. So I will be getting one before the next event.

4.(350z Project X) Im running cxracing coilovers(cheapest I could find before the event :/ will be purchasing d2 coilovers and battleversion toe arms and camber arms before the next event so I can delete my spring bucket) My future suspension mods include:

Battleversion Camber Arms
Battleversion Toe Arms
d2 True Coilovers
Tein Outer Tie rods
Maverick Rack spacer
Kinetix Adjustable Upper Camber arms for the front

Also, on a side note, I'm very mechanically inclined haha. This doesnt matter but, I am a Master Certified Technician at Honda. I would have been at Nissan but Honda gave me the job first and working on Hondas for a living is the easiest thing I've ever done. I practically learned everything about the VQ chassis cars from my previous 350z's. I swear I replaced/took apart almost everything in these cars.

5. (Nackers) I ended up not purchasing it because I didnt want the sketchness of having to get a shitty handle from ebay and trying to rig it all together. I'm going to do it right and go dual caliper set up in the rear with a ASD hydro. Thanks for having my back when people talk **** about someone they know nothing about haha

As far as my FIRST TIME EVER ON A TRACK DRIFTING went. It went very well. I spun out, went off the track alot. But I had to learn how the G35 handled the track and I personally had to get comfortable with the car. The main thing to drifting is Speed. If youre not going fast enough your not gonna go anywhere. I made alot of progress in a very short amount of time. I drove all the way from South Carolina to West Virginia for the event. There are no events around the SC area. Only SWD in NC. I did have two gopros with me the whole time recording the event. I will eventually post videos on youtube and list the links here. The G will be drift ready come April for the 1st event of 2015.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 PM
350Z Project X

Originally Posted by Zlut
Wow. So much hate with just wanting some help haha. I didnt order this e brake because I would rather save my money and time by purchasing a ASDmotorsports 16in pull back, maverick motorsports dual caliper bracket and running it to my rear calipers.

1.(bealljk) As far as me saying Hydro(instead of Hydrau)...everyone else and there mom in the drifting world calls it...HYDRO. Apprently you havent ever been around the drifting community. +1 for me because youre just a troll who had no information on how to help me install a Hydraulic E brake into my G35.

2. (fookhonda) I know more than you. I promise. LOL Also, Z1 motorsports has nothing to do with the drifting community. My friend and I have tried to get them to but they simply wont. So NO, they do not have EVERYTHING I need.

3.(driftsucky) This was my first time drifting on a track. At the end of the day, I could 100% say a Hydro would have helped out ALOT! There were so many times I needed it and could have used it. Have you ever drifted on a track or just open parking lot? When your doing 60+mph and need to adjust a Hydro ebrake defintley helps. So I will be getting one before the next event.

4.(350z Project X) Im running cxracing coilovers(cheapest I could find before the event :/ will be purchasing d2 coilovers and battleversion toe arms and camber arms before the next event so I can delete my spring bucket) My future suspension mods include:

Battleversion Camber Arms
Battleversion Toe Arms
d2 True Coilovers
Tein Outer Tie rods
Maverick Rack spacer
Kinetix Adjustable Upper Camber arms for the front

Also, on a side note, I'm very mechanically inclined haha. This doesnt matter but, I am a Master Certified Technician at Honda. I would have been at Nissan but Honda gave me the job first and working on Hondas for a living is the easiest thing I've ever done. I practically learned everything about the VQ chassis cars from my previous 350z's. I swear I replaced/took apart almost everything in these cars.

5. (Nackers) I ended up not purchasing it because I didnt want the sketchness of having to get a shitty handle from ebay and trying to rig it all together. I'm going to do it right and go dual caliper set up in the rear with a ASD hydro. Thanks for having my back when people talk **** about someone they know nothing about haha

As far as my FIRST TIME EVER ON A TRACK DRIFTING went. It went very well. I spun out, went off the track alot. But I had to learn how the G35 handled the track and I personally had to get comfortable with the car. The main thing to drifting is Speed. If youre not going fast enough your not gonna go anywhere. I made alot of progress in a very short amount of time. I drove all the way from South Carolina to West Virginia for the event. There are no events around the SC area. Only SWD in NC. I did have two gopros with me the whole time recording the event. I will eventually post videos on youtube and list the links here. The G will be drift ready come April for the 1st event of 2015.
See now this is a lot more helpful, no offense but your initial post you did not at all sound mechanically inclined. Im not sure how often you are on since you have been a member since 2012 but many threads are dreamer/ lazy noob threads where they expect EVERYTHING to be handed to them. That is why there is so much hate. My advice, look up the tread I believe by Jason (someone correct me if I am wrong), about a dual real caliper setup with hydraulic install on its own master cylinder. Wildwood makes a setup to do a direct line to the 2nd rear caliper, no interference with normal braking. Right now though honestly worry about setting up the suspension and get a solid 2 way diff (OS Giken, my next purchase after coils from FEAL Suspension). Ive drifted with an open in my Z and and 2 way in my friends 240. World of a difference. Oh and read the suspension FAQ stacked by Jason, I have spent hours at work in my downtime reading it and understanding the suspension as a whole. I say go all SPL, email our vendors and ask on price. I dropped $1400 this month on SPL parts alone, toe link, camber link, traction link, eccentric lock out kit, and FUCA. Thats black friday price though
I'll have my own drift/build thread but not for another month or so until I am ready to post it
Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Zlut

Originally Posted by 350Z Project X
See now this is a lot more helpful, no offense but your initial post you did not at all sound mechanically inclined. Im not sure how often you are on since you have been a member since 2012 but many threads are dreamer/ lazy noob threads where they expect EVERYTHING to be handed to them. That is why there is so much hate. My advice, look up the tread I believe by Jason (someone correct me if I am wrong), about a dual real caliper setup with hydraulic install on its own master cylinder. Wildwood makes a setup to do a direct line to the 2nd rear caliper, no interference with normal braking. Right now though honestly worry about setting up the suspension and get a solid 2 way diff (OS Giken, my next purchase after coils from FEAL Suspension). Ive drifted with an open in my Z and and 2 way in my friends 240. World of a difference. Oh and read the suspension FAQ stacked by Jason, I have spent hours at work in my downtime reading it and understanding the suspension as a whole. I say go all SPL, email our vendors and ask on price. I dropped $1400 this month on SPL parts alone, toe link, camber link, traction link, eccentric lock out kit, and FUCA. Thats black friday price though
I'll have my own drift/build thread but not for another month or so until I am ready to post it
Yeah, I guess my post kind of gave that vibe. I apologize for that. Yes, the asdmotorsports hydraulic e brake comes with a wilwood master cylinder. For dual caliper setup. Thats what I am going to do. As for suspension, To each his own. I am not going to spend that amount of money on a diff when I can purchase a open diff, weld it, and have the same outcome. You must really like SPL. I have done my research about all the parts I stated above about getting. As, I said. To each his own on suspension. It is all going to do the same thing. The only thing I did not state I was going to get was the PBM wide angle kit. I will get it sometime early next year. You didnt answer my question, have you drifted just in open parking lot events or track events?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM
driftsucky

Hey man. Sounds like things went well. I wasn't trying to hate. But, just...you know...how the first post came off. Annnnnnnnnnnywho...

Yeah. I've been to track events. A few times actually. I'm actually running D2 suspension right now (and a few spl goodies thrown in).

My experience with the G is predated by owning a Z a while back. Again, the G is noticeably heavier, but a lap or two, and you're used to it. I do a lot of lot of clutch kicking as opposed to locking up my rears. It doesn't give me a lot of angle (obviously) but it keeps me spinning. It's the only way I can do low speed drifting (40-50ish). My e-brake coupled with project Mu slows down my wheel speed SIGNIFICANTLY, but it won't lock up my rears. I know I need a hydraulic e-brake to really get INTO it like I ultimately want to, but I haven't yet relegated my G35 to drift pig yet. It's more cruiser than drifter. That'll probably change in the next year or two, but that's why I haven't installed my stuff yet.

You guys don't have the advent of snow down there, so no "off-season practice". What I'd do is try to learn different techniques to improve. Driving makes you better. Not parts. I have some friends that can drive circles around me in stock KA 240's. Once you become solid, adding parts is just icing. And that's not me HATING. That's just advice from a guy that's been doing it for a lil bit. Up here, there's only a few common drift cars (240/350/G35/etc). Most guys are running off the wall stuff like Foxbody Mustangs, OOOOOOLLLLLD Corollas (not InitialD stuff), a couple of bimmers...but, not your normal drift track cars. Sans my buddy Colton who's running a LS S14, and maybe 2 other drivers, I think I have the best (comparatively) setup car. I'm by no means the best driver though. Just sayin.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 AM
350Z Project X

Originally Posted by Zlut
Yeah, I guess my post kind of gave that vibe. I apologize for that. Yes, the asdmotorsports hydraulic e brake comes with a wilwood master cylinder. For dual caliper setup. Thats what I am going to do. As for suspension, To each his own. I am not going to spend that amount of money on a diff when I can purchase a open diff, weld it, and have the same outcome. You must really like SPL. I have done my research about all the parts I stated above about getting. As, I said. To each his own on suspension. It is all going to do the same thing. The only thing I did not state I was going to get was the PBM wide angle kit. I will get it sometime early next year. You didnt answer my question, have you drifted just in open parking lot events or track events?
Welded diffs will break once you put enough torque on them. Reason I went SPL was after looking at multiple brands and their pros and cons I want the best quality for my car. Do it right the first time. Read the stickied thread in suspension 101 and Jason goes in detail on different brands. I have been looking at the PBM kit also and will probably run that until I can afford to go with the Voodoo 13 CFR angle kit.
I have done both types of drifting open lot, events, and spirited drifting..
Old 01-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Nackers

Glad to see everything got cleared up.

Though out of curiosity, why is everyone trying to do dual caliper setups now? I know I've been out of driving for a while, but did the rules change at most events where you can't do a inline setup anymore?

My original plan was to go dual caliper if I did get my pro license (due to pro rules at the time... I'm not up to date), but it didn't happen so I guess don't see a reason to do it now.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:21 AM
350Z Project X

Originally Posted by Nackers
Glad to see everything got cleared up.

Though out of curiosity, why is everyone trying to do dual caliper setups now? I know I've been out of driving for a while, but did the rules change at most events where you can't do a inline setup anymore?

My original plan was to go dual caliper if I did get my pro license (due to pro rules at the time... I'm not up to date), but it didn't happen so I guess don't see a reason to do it now.
I personally am doing it because Maverick Motorsports is the only company that I know of to release a bracket for it. So no custom fab work makes it a lot easier to do and I would rather not mess with the regular braking system. I believe Jason did this and has a full write up about it. Just gotta find the link. Also with that brake system on it's entire own setup makes for 100% confidence in full lock

Quick Reply: Hydro E Brake Help