MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Drift (https://my350z.com/forum/drift-308/)
-   -   How well does the 350Z drift (https://my350z.com/forum/drift/60770-how-well-does-the-350z-drift.html)

350ZOWNZ 02-12-2004 12:45 PM

How well does the 350Z drift

Just curious how well does it drift? What kind of cars compare to it in drifting? Is it like the S2000? worse? 300ZX?

aalzuhair 02-12-2004 12:54 PM

Very well, check out the link

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=60610

DRFT_Z33 02-13-2004 11:15 PM

heres a link im looking for more haha watch the one with the demo runs the rsr 350 is there and a supra

link - http://www.willraceforfood.com/videos/rsr_drift.htm

350ZOWNZ 02-20-2004 05:28 PM

would it compare to a S2000 in terms of drifting ability tho?

mofoz 02-20-2004 07:19 PM

light front engine rear wheel drive cars are the best for drifting usually. any car can pretty much drift, just different techniques and such. One of the main things you need is enough power to spin the tires and kick the rear out and a proper suspension setup. I think both S2000 and 350Z could drift farely well.

Apexi350z 02-20-2004 07:23 PM

probably different than s2000, since 350z is heavier...

from the video of 350z and supra, the 350z seems easier to break out the backend than supra? it reacts quicker than the supra.. maybe it has something to do with the driver as well.

Topics II 02-21-2004 08:04 PM

the s2000 is not too good of a drift car without proper work. ive drifted a stock z and a stock s2000 and the z was totally better. ive drifted modified z's (obviously :) ) but not modified s2000s, im waiting for someone to set one up for serious drift and see how it does. it has at least a good amount of potential to be built into a good car.

tougeracing 02-25-2004 06:19 PM

i thought the s2000 engine was built already to its potential? i heard its hard to boost the power anymore w/o custom fittings :\ well i could be wrong, u should listen to Topic II hahaha

Alberto 03-21-2004 07:32 PM

Stock the Z drifts ok, after installing better tires and some JIC coilovers, drifting is so much better, the car stays more controled even when its sliding--if that makes sense. All you have to do is let off the gas and the rear comes back in check nicely. I love JIC's...

Topics II 03-22-2004 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Alberto
the car stays more controled even when its sliding--if that makes sense...
of course it does! it controls the weight transfer so the spongy stock suspension doesnt throw you around when in drift.

John 03-22-2004 03:51 AM

Doesn't a longer wheelbase help in controlling drifts? If that's the case, then the Z should be easier to drift than the S2000. Mind you, I'm using the term "controlled drift."

Topics II 03-22-2004 11:22 AM

Originally posted by John
Doesn't a longer wheelbase help in controlling drifts? If that's the case, then the Z should be easier to drift than the S2000. Mind you, I'm using the term "controlled drift."
See, another good thing about the z is that it is a pretty small car. but! it has a very long wheelbase. the wheels are placed outward towards the corner of the car giving it a long wheelbase, and a wide track, without having a 20ft long car. there is very little overhang with the bumpers and makes it much easier to "know" where your front and rear end is, and lets you fit through tighter spaces.

Tekkanano 05-16-2004 08:28 PM

Topics II, what do you think about the STI drifting? You can change the ratio between front and rear power, 35% front, 65% rear. Do you think the STI has a better chance at drifting easily in stock form vs. a stock 350Z?

My opinion is that with the power ratio change and the turbo, it will make the STI easy to drift without modding too much.

I've been in an EVO8 and he could only slighty drift it.

Topics II 05-18-2004 10:35 AM

AWD drifting is totally different then RWD drifting. You have to use alot of weight transfer, and you loose ALOT of speed when putting it into a slide. you may be able to get it sideways through a turn, but its not as easy, or nearly as competitive as a RWD.

phoenixZ33 05-27-2004 12:12 PM

A G35 Coupe is a very good drift car as well, you can really feel the difference with the longer wheelbase. I thought the G35 was easier to control with big angles and I found myself spinning, or coming close to spinning, less. The stiff chassis combined with the linear throttle and steering in both cars makes them excellent for drifting.

Akira 06-26-2004 02:20 PM

S2000 is not a good drift car. It's too well balaced. 50/50 ratio car is really hard to drift. The input is so sensitive and if you make little mistake, the tail will come around faster then you can say Ooops. Z in the other hand is more forgiving. So it's easier to drift.

RazNips 07-26-2004 11:42 AM

ive had trouble in wet slick roads with my G coupe because once the back end starts sliding out, its really hard to pull back when its wet out. When its dry i can get extreamly sideways and control it but when my car lines back up its not smooth because of snap oversteer thats really bad. I am a little intimidated by my G now after spinning the back end around a few times and now i am a little timid when in a public road so i have not mastered the controled countersteer yet with this car.... its no 240 thats for damn certain

Cougs 08-04-2004 08:27 AM

Both the Z and S2000 can be drifted...the Z, because of the weight the sits in the front of the car (53F/47R) the front stays slightly more planted allowing for snap oversteer when the larger amount of available torque breaks the tires loose. The S2000 is more tailhappy, when means the drifts can be more prone to excessive oversteer and can cause the back end to overreach its limits. Having a slightly thinner tire in the rear on either of these cars matched with slightly stiffer rear springs will change drift characteristics considerably, making both quicker to step out.

Also, having a Base model Z or a Z that has had the VDC shut off will make drifting easier. A clutch type LSD set at a low setting will also assist as the tires will be quicker to spin when they are not working in consort. With the S2000, because of its lack of bottom end power, will be harder to break traction: using inertia and weight transfer to loosen the tires, one can then spin them more easily because the tread will not be on its normal directional/gripping "plane".

Scott Webb 08-13-2004 05:07 PM

I would think that the narrow and peaky powerband of the S2000 would be a disadvantage for drifting as well. The torque of the Z and the more linear power delivery make modulating rear tire slip easier.

The S2000 is also known for snap oversteer at high speed, which would be tough to control or anticipate.

ReavTek 09-04-2004 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Scott Webb
I would think that the narrow and peaky powerband of the S2000 would be a disadvantage for drifting as well. The torque of the Z and the more linear power delivery make modulating rear tire slip easier.

The S2000 is also known for snap oversteer at high speed, which would be tough to control or anticipate.

After seeing drift king, Tsuchiya-san, destroy all opponents in a modified S2k I am convinced the S2k is a superior drift car. It's just harder to control at first but you will soon master it.

The 350z is just plain heavy, but you can make up for it with throttle input and liberal use of the steering wheel :D Also, VDC really messes up drifting fun. So, either buy a 350z that does not have VDC or get the VDC disabled. On the 350z Shock Best Motoring video they said even when you toggled the VDC off the car would control your breaks and the LSD to to prevent drifting... So yeah that's why I bought an enthusiast! :D

Anyways, to end my post I would just like to repeat that my choice for the better drift car would be the s2k but then again I am an oversteer happy nut. Also, look into MRs. No matter what anyone says I have to state that Mid-Engine cars are the real-mcoys of drifting. Check into the MR2 line, including the new Toyota MR2 Spyder. Small, inexpensive, MR Layout. The Drift King spun an MR2 in his "Drift Bible" video... So, if drift king still has troubles controlling an MR you know it's gotta be freaking awesome.