Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Used Z's

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:19 PM
kingrukus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reality350
If you are importing from the US, make sure you are prepared.
State tax 10%(dependant on state)+6PST+6%duty+100-200 ac fee+220 reg fee+2000-4000 import tax, and there are a few other small fees.
Also you must inlcude about $1500 for towing.
And you will need to give customs at least 72 hours notice, and you must have all your documentation ready..
All recalls and tsb's must be addressed, inspection certificate, emissions certificate. A dealer will have to provide you with this information.

Its easier to have someone who is already a broker, bring the vehicle in for you.

Do your research online, then look to purchase.
I am pretty aware of most of the fees. I have been following the 600 page thread on RFD somewhat, and reading RIV, attended the vehicle import seminar by canada customs at the scarborough civic center, and talking with a few others. It is my understanding, that I will not have to pay state tax when doing private sale, correct? Also, I am looking at driving the car back myself. Finally I didnt realise that there was an emissions certificate & inspection certificate required from the seller....
Old 11-22-2007, 10:49 PM
wanta2008

2008's can't be imported? How come?

Originally Posted by Z_35TH_Z
WOW... kind of a strong statement there Andy, I take it your not selling too many new these days. People are still buying lots of canadian cars on our end.
We have actually started to get a few that have been hosed on us rebuilds being sold from large local used car dealers not declaring the history.

08's Can't be imported...
Old 11-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Doba

cause the car has to be registered for 6 months I believe previously in the states, wait that time till someone is selling on 08 and you can import it.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Z_35TH_Z
Rainman

Originally Posted by wanta2008
2008's can't be imported? How come?

Go to this riv Canada link.... select passenger cars on the left and then scroll down to nissan.
No Altimas Maximas or 350z built after sept.1 2007... reason beside...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...list/VAFUS.pdf
Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 AM
jasonintoronto

all 2008 cars in canada must have an immobilizer. many in the US do not have the immobilizer OR the manufacturer has not done the paperwork to register them with the transportation ministry. conspiracy?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Z_35TH_Z
Rainman

with Nissan it's the passive restraints
Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 AM
kingrukus

this new immobilizer thing is basically an agreement between auto manufacturers and politicians to screw canadians over from buying new cars in the USA. Anyways apparently there are aftermarket mods that can be done to add the immobilizer to the 08+ vehicles.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 AM
clemlover15

Originally Posted by kingrukus
this new immobilizer thing is basically an agreement between auto manufacturers and politicians to screw canadians over from buying new cars in the USA. Anyways apparently there are aftermarket mods that can be done to add the immobilizer to the 08+ vehicles.

the seat belt thing can't be changed because it was manufactured that way, therefore most 2008's can't cross.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I hate Canada. I'm out of here ASAP. Going to the states to make big bucks and drive cheap cars!
Who's with me?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
wanta2008

ugh i hate canadian cars! i wanna be an american ... or at least until i get my z!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 AM
clemlover15

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
I hate Canada. I'm out of here ASAP. Going to the states to make big bucks and drive cheap cars!
Who's with me?

dude don't hate Canada, we are the most loved tourists in the world. Everyone and their brother hate the Americans. I personally have not beef with the Yanks.

But really, in general we have it good in Canada...
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I know, Canada has a lot going for it.
BUT, We desparately need to address how high our taxes are here in this country, especially for the highest income tax bracket. I call it the reside in Canada "membership fee". If you compare the tax structure of the states to that of Canada, for every 100K you make a year, there is an average 20K per year surcharge on extra income tax you pay in Canada. It's fine if you are in the middle income tax bracket, there is not enough of a difference to care or notice. But 300, 400, 500K will go a lot further in certain parts of the states than it will here in Canada.
This is why Canada cannot retain professionals. Another adjunct to the problem, is that the wealthier that wealthy people are, the more jobs are created. Wealthy people employ people. Relatively speaking, the middle income people of the country employ far far less.
Anyways, off soapbox now. I don't really hate Canada, it could just improve a bit.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:47 AM
clemlover15

BUT, We desparately need to address how high our taxes are here in this country, especially for the highest income tax bracket. I call it the reside in Canada "membership fee". If you compare the tax structure of the states to that of Canada, for every 100K you make a year, there is an average 20K per year surcharge on extra income tax you pay in Canada. It's fine if you are in the middle income tax bracket, there is not enough of a difference to care or notice. But 300, 400, 500K will go a lot further in certain parts of the states than it will here in Canada.
This is why Canada cannot retain professionals. Another adjunct to the problem, is that the wealthier that wealthy people are, the more jobs are created. Wealthy people employ people. Relatively speaking, the middle income people of the country employ far far less.
Anyways, off soapbox now. I don't really hate Canada, it could just improve a bit.
thats very true the richer and the more successful you are the more you get fuked. That does suck donkey *****...its as if you are punished for being successful.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:01 AM
kingrukus

I agree with you completely.