Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Should i buy a Z or another mini ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
mini me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should i buy a Z or another mini ?

Did any of you drive his Z in the winter,any comments and suggestions appreciated.
I want to buy one and drive it in the winter,is it suicidal ?
Right now i'm driving a mini and it's great in the snow,i would buy another one for that but maybe i want to try something else.
I felt in love with the Z and i have to replace one car this spring anyway.
If i can get a good deal on the old Z i might go for it or just buy the 370Z but the question is the same,will i scare myself in the snow ?
Thanks for your comments !
Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MINI..... Z is suicidal in Canada winter..
Old 01-31-2009, 02:38 PM
WhiskeyHotel

Driving the "Z" in the snow is really no worse (to me) than driving any other rear wheel drive car - other than the fact that I can only clear about 5" pile of snow before I use my lip as a snow plow.

I'm also running winter tires.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:19 PM
mini me

Wink

Thanks guys,i've seen a few Z's (2) on the road and more G-35's beeing driven here and sometimes winter is nasty,i guess if you use comon sense it's not so bad,i drove old rear wheel drive cars before in the north and i lived with it but it's been a while with rear wheel driving,just checking what the majority say. Cheers!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering that I now have to take back everything I've said about people not driving their Zs in the winter, I'd do the Mini thing. I got stuck in my driveway for 4 days this week. It can be done, but I'd go with what Jay'Z said.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

go for the mini, girls think they are cute!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Lightbulb LOL...

at the US invasion in this thread .

Reading between the lines...the Mini will never, ever be what you see in the Z and the Z will never be right for the winter here.

You need to decide what is more important to you. After that, the answer will become more than clear.

Last edited by Risky_Business; 01-31-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:19 AM
nick123

I drive my z in the canadian winter. Ive never felt more safe. I got a set of blizzaktires on some aftermarket 17inch wheel. I have vdc and i love it... I bought an acura rsx for this year winter, and i never used it. The z iZ amazing
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
XChacalX

i drive my roadster in winter without too much problem like driving in a 1 feet deep snow , with good winter tire the car handle quite well !
Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 AM
zrdude13

Thumbs down

I am currently driving my ZR during the winter here in Toronto. I have a set of good winter tires on it and it drives just fine. I am constantly driving back and forth from Toronto to Niagara (during some pretty bad storms too) and I have never had one problem. I just can't believe you guys are telling this dude to get a Mini. I mean, what kinda crack are you guys on! lol. I know the Mini is very well built car, but it's a Mini! My mom should be driving that. I would take a 350z hands down over Mini any day of the week.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by XChacalX
i drive my roadster in winter without too much problem like driving in a 1 feet deep snow , with good winter tire the car handle quite well !
Originally Posted by zrdude13
I am currently driving my ZR during the winter here in Toronto. I have a set of good winter tires on it and it drives just fine. I am constantly driving back and forth from Toronto to Niagara (during some pretty bad storms too) and I have never had one problem. I just can't believe you guys are telling this dude to get a Mini. I mean, what kinda crack are you guys on! lol. I know the Mini is very well built car, but it's a Mini! My mom should be driving that. I would take a 350z hands down over Mini any day of the week.
What tires are you all running? I thought I had good winter (all season) tires, but after this week, I found out different.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
MINI..... Z is suicidal in Canada winter..
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
What tires are you all running? I thought I had good winter (all season) tires, but after this week, I found out different.
That doesn't make any sense. You have Winter tires or All Season tires? If you are not running WINTER specific (ie winter ONLY) tires on the car it will suck. Buy some Bridgestone Blizzaks or Nokian Hakkapeliitta etc.. you will see a difference. An all season tire really is a three season tire, Spring Summer and Fall. All season tires should be illegal in the winter like quebec.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM
xdragus

Z is suicidal in the winter. I know cuz i'm driving in the winter with it ;p So many drivers to avoid!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 PM
SC350ZR

A friend of mine was driving his Z in the winter wit a set of good winter tires and didn't have any problems unless there was a huge dump of snow. But then more people got stuck too. I think as long as you a not running a 1.5" drop and a nice low front bumper you are fine if you have good tires.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
mini me

Thanks guys for your inputs,i know that when you want something you'll get it and worry after. I've been driving for 32 years without any accidents,very lucky at times and i think if i use common sense and good winter tires i could manage.
The Z is so sexy i can't get it out of my mind. I will get a phone call from the dealer when the 370Z comes in but if i can find a good deal on the 350,i might go for it.
The problem with the old Z was that the MSRP was so high that now they lower the price but it still high almost the same than the new one ! I have 'till march to decide.
Cheers and thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:54 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
That doesn't make any sense. You have Winter tires or All Season tires? If you are not running WINTER specific (ie winter ONLY) tires on the car it will suck. Buy some Bridgestone Blizzaks or Nokian Hakkapeliitta etc.. you will see a difference. An all season tire really is a three season tire, Spring Summer and Fall. All season tires should be illegal in the winter like quebec.
I guess that was a little confusing. I have all-season and thought they were "good enough" for winter tires. I'm going to play dumb (not too hard ). When you say winter tires is this synonymous with snow tires or are they two different animals?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 PM
jasonintoronto

i drive the z in the winter, and it's ok. it's not great but it'll do.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 AM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
I guess that was a little confusing. I have all-season and thought they were "good enough" for winter tires. I'm going to play dumb (not too hard ). When you say winter tires is this synonymous with snow tires or are they two different animals?
Hahaha,... Yeah Winter Tires or Snow Tires, whatever you want to call them.

Really All Season tires are not meant for the winter though. The name is a bit misleading. Kind of like one size fits all, well fits most except for the extremes right? When it comes to tires, the extreme they mean is snow.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 AM
kasimmmmm

i don't care about how ppl say that a RWD drives just fine in the winter.... i have a RWD with $1500 winter tires, and a FWD civic with all seasons. My civic zips through the snow!
Winters in a Z are ***... i only take out my Z in the winter when there's no snow on the floor.

To answer your question, it depends on what you what to do with the car. If its going to be a daily driver, buy something more practical than a Z.

Quick Reply: Should i buy a Z or another mini ?