Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Thinking of buying a new 370z

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 PM
doctahmango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a new 370z

Hi everyone,

I live in Toronto and am looking at buying a new 370z. I got a quote from a dealer for $39,000 + freight, taxes...etc... They wouldn't budge any more than $1,000 off MSRP...

Do you think that this is a decent enough deal given the "recession" that we're in? I am paying cash for it yet they don't care to budge anymore...

I really do like this car and I'm coming from a 2000 Prelude 5 spd.

Any thoughts? Or should I look at a used 350 instead?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:43 PM
brady

In todays climate with about $45,000 cash buying power I don't think I'd consider anything less then a Porsche. Seriously what are your requirements in a car? Seems that with only two seats it's either a toy or a commuting/work vehicle (or a combination). If you're considering a warranty then that plays more into a certified pre-owned or new.

Now-a-days $45k is serious in ANY dealership. The deal they are offering is fair as the car is JUST coming out. But it's not going to stay that way for long. Consider your options and don't let emotion effect any decision you make.

Good luck
Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Chromex319

^well said.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
maroli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the car will depreciate seriously if you buy a brand new car of a new model. 45k will get you tons of other cars that have already seen their initial depreciation...such as a early 00's 911
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 AM
kingrukus

Personally I do not believe in buying new - but if you have tons of disposable income then why not?

If it were my money, it would go to an 07-08 base model 350z with the VQ35HR motor and 6 speed tranny....but those are going to depreciate a lot more once the 370z are fully on the road.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

When I bought my '06 I went to 3 different dealers for quotes - all of them varied in price. At first I worked the sales people hard to have them give me their best price. Once I had all my quotes I walked into another Nissan dealer and went straight to the sales GM and cut out all the BS. He then proceeded to beat all the previous quoted prices by 2k and give me a discount on my extended warranty. In short deal directly with the sales GM not a sales person.

good luck

Last edited by Sickboy101; 04-26-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...decisions, decisions...
Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 AM
IVRY PRL

Don't get a base model, definitely get the sport pack with BBK, sports susp, kit, sick wheels.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
nick123

45k buying power..Well, your coming from a prelude that is virtually cheap on maint and gas...So even if you can get a porsche, your going to be killed with maint charges especially since your fixing a car worth 120,000 ..Parts will be expensive..But, you also dont want to buy new since your vehicle will depreciate very quickly...But, you also dont want to spend money on a older car like the 350z...So, your in a jam...I would say, if you really want the 370z wait a year and buy the demo....Or just go out and buy a older e46 and call it a day...Those m3's have depreciated, look better than z and they are faster and sound better...
Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 PM
brady

Originally Posted by nick123
45k buying power..Well, your coming from a prelude that is virtually cheap on maint and gas...So even if you can get a porsche, your going to be killed with maint charges especially since your fixing a car worth 120,000 ..Parts will be expensive..But, you also dont want to buy new since your vehicle will depreciate very quickly...But, you also dont want to spend money on a older car like the 350z...So, your in a jam...I would say, if you really want the 370z wait a year and buy the demo....Or just go out and buy a older e46 and call it a day...Those m3's have depreciated, look better than z and they are faster and sound better...
I agree indeed. I sold an '04 e46 M3 back in '07 and I can say I'm sure glad I did!

OP, What are you looking for in a car?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 PM
XERMAN2001

Originally Posted by nick123
i was looking to buy a BMW or a 350Z last year, i bought the 350Z. The main reason was the maintenance costs, all of the members on the BWM forum kept talking about buying an extended warranty. They said repairs are expensive. I spoke to a M3 owner that was selling his car, he said he loved it but it cost 2-3 times more to maintain than a 330. I would think parts would be hard to come by, i don't think i would want to maintain a M3.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:33 PM
fullvietFX

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by XERMAN2001
i was looking to buy a BMW or a 350Z last year, i bought the 350Z. The main reason was the maintenance costs, all of the members on the BWM forum kept talking about buying an extended warranty. They said repairs are expensive. I spoke to a M3 owner that was selling his car, he said he loved it but it cost 2-3 times more to maintain than a 330. I would think parts would be hard to come by, i don't think i would want to maintain a M3.
Exactly, don't just look at the initial car cost but also look at the cost of ownership. Reminds me of people who buy a 7-Series for $25,000 and get ****ed when something breaks.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
doctahmango

Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for the feedback! Much appreciated...

Anyway, where to start... I originally wanted to get a used 350z... but I've read about the feathering problems of the 03/04 models... then the oil consumption of the 06 models... which basically left either 05, or 07/08 models to choose from.

I wanted to get the 07/08 model because of the increase in HP... the better refinement of the interior..etc.. However... it's pretty difficult to find a used 07/08 right now... and if I do find one.. it's either a roadster, which I'm not really interested in, it's automatic.. which I'm not interested in.. or it's a U.S. import.. again which I'm not interested in.

I read a lot of reviews about the 2009 370z the majority of them have been very positive..

I was also looking at a used M3... but the maintenance would be a pain in the butt.. not to mention the same problems with finding a decent one with decent KM's...

Also... I'd rather spend 45K cash on a brand new car... than 45K cash on a 4-5 year old car... know what I mean? If i was going to buy a used card, I wouldn't want to drop any more than 20-25 K...

Finally, as for what I'm looking for in a car... I'm looking for a 2 door, 2 seater sports car essentially... I'm 25... I'm doing "well" for my age... I don't have any children or a wife or family that I have to drive around anywhere... I figure this is one of my only chances to own a 2 door 2 seater sports car because down the road... it's going to be 4-doors and minivans for me.. either because of family... or my career... I'm young... and while this is a big purchase, I've already budgeted for it and can afford it.

Also, when I say that I offered the dealer cash for the car... it's because I have access to a LOC that is essentially prime... and well we all know how low prime is at the moment... whereas nissans finance rates are about 5.9% for 60 months...

So far my thoughts are to go with a new 370z. If I were buying a 4 door sedan such as a TL or TSX and whatnot, in now way would I ever buy a brand new car... But since I'm buying a sports car/coupe... and given that it is relatively rare... along with a few other reasons... is why I'm leaning towards a brand new 370z...

Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
nick123

LINE OF CREDIT....huh.......If your doing well, dont just go out and buy a car...You never know whats going on with our shitty economy.....Either go out and buy a 350z or wait a year and buy a demo 370z .
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 AM
doctahmango

Hey,

After doing some more digging last night... I found out about a lovely oil over heating issue on the 370z... some are saying its a bad thing... some are saying its really not a big deal unless you are going to track the car...

Regardless... another deterrent from actually buying one now... meh... I knew I should have stuck with looking for a 2005....
Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by doctahmango
Hey,

After doing some more digging last night... I found out about a lovely oil over heating issue on the 370z... some are saying its a bad thing... some are saying its really not a big deal unless you are going to track the car...

Regardless... another deterrent from actually buying one now... meh... I knew I should have stuck with looking for a 2005....
At least you are researching the subject..
Yes it has some problems, as will all first year models. But the problem with 3.7vqhr is that the overheating issue was seen on the g37's, but nissan made no changes to correct the problem for the 370z.
Slightly disappointing..
All in all, its a great looking vehicle.. - the rear tail lights..
Old 04-27-2009, 07:53 AM
maroli

I'm roughly the same age as you, bought my Z with 'cash' as you put it, from a LOC. Worst decision I ever made, basically it looked as though I had maxed out a revolving loan and murdered my credit score. Being a banker, I should've realised this, and in fact I did, but was too eager to get the car. If I can give you some advice, leave at least 20% in your LOC as open to buy.

Originally Posted by doctahmango
Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for the feedback! Much appreciated...

Anyway, where to start... I originally wanted to get a used 350z... but I've read about the feathering problems of the 03/04 models... then the oil consumption of the 06 models... which basically left either 05, or 07/08 models to choose from.

I wanted to get the 07/08 model because of the increase in HP... the better refinement of the interior..etc.. However... it's pretty difficult to find a used 07/08 right now... and if I do find one.. it's either a roadster, which I'm not really interested in, it's automatic.. which I'm not interested in.. or it's a U.S. import.. again which I'm not interested in.

I read a lot of reviews about the 2009 370z the majority of them have been very positive..

I was also looking at a used M3... but the maintenance would be a pain in the butt.. not to mention the same problems with finding a decent one with decent KM's...

Also... I'd rather spend 45K cash on a brand new car... than 45K cash on a 4-5 year old car... know what I mean? If i was going to buy a used card, I wouldn't want to drop any more than 20-25 K...

Finally, as for what I'm looking for in a car... I'm looking for a 2 door, 2 seater sports car essentially... I'm 25... I'm doing "well" for my age... I don't have any children or a wife or family that I have to drive around anywhere... I figure this is one of my only chances to own a 2 door 2 seater sports car because down the road... it's going to be 4-doors and minivans for me.. either because of family... or my career... I'm young... and while this is a big purchase, I've already budgeted for it and can afford it.

Also, when I say that I offered the dealer cash for the car... it's because I have access to a LOC that is essentially prime... and well we all know how low prime is at the moment... whereas nissans finance rates are about 5.9% for 60 months...

So far my thoughts are to go with a new 370z. If I were buying a 4 door sedan such as a TL or TSX and whatnot, in now way would I ever buy a brand new car... But since I'm buying a sports car/coupe... and given that it is relatively rare... along with a few other reasons... is why I'm leaning towards a brand new 370z...

Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 AM
doctahmango

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot for the info. After reading through your posts, as well as speaking to a few friends, I've decided against getting a brand new 370z. Instead I"ll look at a used 350z ... ideally a 2005.

Thanks again for your help and input.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
shinobi_350z

Here's another way to do it.

1. Get an '04 with low KMs and get an allignment. It's not like feathering persists after that...
2. Buy a set of Tein Flex coilovers
3. Buy a set of 19s
4. Get a nice skirt package
5. Get an intake, exhaust, plenum spacer and an osiris tune by APH...

This will net out about 8-10k (or more if you really find good deals on spacer, rims and suspension) cheaper than the 370z...

You'll get an exceptional car, made further exceptional with the right choice in RIMs, suspension and engine modifications. And the best part? It will look WAAAAY better than the 370z....

My $0.02
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM
xtcz

Hey glad you joined the forum finally .. and are using it for the value in resources. These guys are amazing and our local Z/G crew are all stand up guys.

I give props to who ever reffered you to this site LOL

With that said ... just buy one already heheh .. (kidding). Take the time - enjoy the experience and most of all enjoy the Z you decide on!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a new 370z