Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

About to pull the trigger, need your input

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Sor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow About to pull the trigger, need your input

Sup guys

As you can tell, I've been lurking these forums for a while now and have picked up a lot of information about the 350Z and cars in general. Iv wanted this car for about a year now, I'm 20 years old. Anyways, I need you guys to check out this car for me, tell me what you think.

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_C...v=Ontario&r=40

Looks like a Performance trim with custom orange leather seats (not OEM).

I've done a ton of research on 350Zs in general and i know...

It's a 2003 (**** ton of problems)
It has a ton of Kms (130k Km)

The thing is, I have a passion for driving and cars, but mostly just driving and it would make more sense for me to buy a $3000 Acura Integra or some **** but the 350Z is a dream for me (iv been on these forums for a year, constantly looking at pics and taking in info about the car lol). I go to school and work a part time job and so this is all i can afford (parents will just pay for the insurance. Not gonna lie that all the expenses are mine like 99% of the kids on here).

Do i go for this car or no? Im worried i'l have to pay a **** ton for repairs and what not. I will need to purchase a car within this month, preferably next week.

Last edited by Sor; 04-10-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 PM
TheUntouchableZ

i've got the same package, also an 03. 100k and never a single mechanical issue, just make sure the passenger side window works. and those seats are 100% OEM ! i have them and they look great.
the price is fair i'm sure you can work on it a little if it comes down to it.
just my two cents
Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Alborz11

I would get this instead:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ196855966
Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Sor

Originally Posted by Alborz11
Thank you man! Wow I guess i failed at searching when buying a particular car lol
Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM
stanleylee

i think you better get a shop you know to check the condition for you, there always some thing under the car you cant see from the outside
Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 PM
maroli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alborz11
suspiciously cheap. Do a carfax.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Alborz11

Originally Posted by stanleylee
i think you better get a shop you know to check the condition for you, there always some thing under the car you cant see from the outside
Ya definitely do a check up on it before you pull the trigger. Also ask the owner what happened right under the drivers side headlight. Looks like its missing some paint or something.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Kiriller

the first one you posted op, had rear end colision, check the lines along the taillight.

cant tell **** on the 2nd but id check out the 2nd car looks to be a better deal
Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 AM
brady

Thumbs up

That is a lot of car and a lot of responsibility. But if your parents are on side with their support and believe that you are responsible/smart then get the 350z. You are 20 yrs old and probably are starting to get a grasp on the financial aspects of life so this will be a good lesson. You're only young once so make the most of it. Go for it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:53 AM
StraySheep

Even if your parents are only paying for the Z's insurance, you still want to double check the insurance premium per month.

A 20yr old with a Z can easily cost $500+ per month even with a clean record if you are the principle driver. If insurance is costing $500+ per month, you are paying $6000+ per year on insurance, 2 years of insuring the car is almost the cost of your used Z. Not very practical.

Anyways, good luck with your search.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:30 AM
mistanismo

Originally Posted by StraySheep
Even if your parents are only paying for the Z's insurance, you still want to double check the insurance premium per month.

A 20yr old with a Z can easily cost $500+ per month even with a clean record if you are the principle driver. If insurance is costing $500+ per month, you are paying $6000+ per year on insurance, 2 years of insuring the car is almost the cost of your used Z. Not very practical.

Anyways, good luck with your search.
Very good advice. I assume the car will be put in their name(s) regardless, or else you are looking easily at 500-600$ for yourself a month, alone, which completely negates buying the car.

I'm 23 with a clean driving record (as per my last renewal, I now have one minor conviction as a result of a plead down) and I am paying 350$ per month for the Z with full coverage and my DD talon without comprehensive... It should also be noted that I am not the principal driver on said Z.

I pay the entirety of the insurance as well, but both cars are payed off (I purchased both cars myself as well)... if you're taking a loan out for the car, insurance may be higher with a lein.

Remember that even if the Z you purchase as been meticulously maintained, you're looking at 7 years of wear and tear and 70000kms on a low end scale... research the appropriate maintenance costs and make sure you can afford preventative maintenance as well.

Gas is an often neglected factor. I drive 20 miles per day on average in one or the other of my cars (30km lets say conservatively). This means I will go through, on a conservative scale 40$ of gas per week @ ultra 94 realistically... making fuel costs alone, and I spend more than this now that i think about it, definitely, espesially in the summer with increased cruises. 160$ per month... it is realistic that if you drive your car everyday your costs will exceed 250$ per month.

One of the mistakes younger individuals in our age bracket make is not understanding the costs associated with ownership, not the flat out cost of the car or even the cost of insurance (assuming yours is negated by your parents paying)...

If you even have to think 'wow, can I really afford this?' wait or hopefully your parents can provide additional financial aid (you lucky sob ) because the last thing you want is to be driving an expensive sports car that isn't properly maintained / looked after, squeaking brakes/belts/dangerously worn tires all that annoying stuff most average individuals let there cars endure... looks 10x worse when you drive something like a 350z and will earn you scorn as people will automatically say 'why'd you buy it if you couldn't afford it?'.

hopefully this helps, I had a friend recently purchase a RX-8 as his first car... similar league, he can't afford it,t here's always things going he can't fix because of cost (HIDs, tires, suspension issues) these costs can quickly add thousands if something serious goes wrong... be prepared to handle the relative worst as per the year and milage of your car.

I don't mean to scare you, I just don't think a 350z is a great 'first car' (as in yours personally) for the aformentioned reasons... when you're a student with what chances are is a lower paying part time job... but honestly, if your parents have sufficient financial means and will help you, you're going to be fine regardless

It's a good experiance, definitely will smarten you up with your spending habits heh.

GL
Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ some great advice ^^

I agree with mistanismo... I don't think a 7 year old Z is a great first car for a 20 year old. I'd pick up an Integra/RSX/Civic and save your dollars. Get a few years of vehicle ownership under your belt. You're still young bro... enjoy yourself... the Z will always be there waiting for you when the moment is right.

goodluck!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 AM
BashaZ

First off, I think you can get a better deal.

Second, I have a 2003 350z Performance and besides replacing the steering wheel pump and regular maintenance it has never had any issues.

Third, Those seats are OEM from factory, I know I have them!

I personally think a 20 year old driving a car with this much power and presence is asking for a disaster, but hey that's entirely your choice. I say you start off with something like an RSX type S. Cheap on insurance with a little peep, and it attracts enough attention with the ladies. Maybe even a Celica GTS

Last edited by BashaZ; 04-11-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Sor

Great advice from everyone. Thanks.

Last edited by Sor; 04-13-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Kiriller

ive got a good eye
Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Reality350

Buy a beater.. save your $ and in 2 - 3 years .. pick up a used 370z.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 AM
F34RL355
Banned

hmmm kirill whats wrong with the lines i dont see anything
Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

wow these cars go for 15K now? I'm super ghetto
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Kiriller

Originally Posted by F34RL355
hmmm kirill whats wrong with the lines i dont see anything
chu need a magnifying glass meing if chu dun see da linez

in all seriousness i was right about the rear crash look at the driver side tail light, poor but ok allignment... follow the lines ull see headlight barely fits in there
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Wu-Watt

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ194917466
This one is pre - Volk' d.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger, need your input