Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My TT Z: Help me decide, my brethren..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004 | 08:07 PM
slay2k

Default My TT Z: Help me decide, my brethren..

My sexy, poor little Z has been sitting in my driveway for the last 6 months or so. I have barely driven it at all after I decided I might actually go on and sell it.

Then I changed my mind and decided to store it for the winter, but I can't quite make up my mind WHAT TO DO WITH IT afterwards. Why ? There is one problem. The car blows white smoke out the exhaust. It used to be occasional, but now it happens pretty much whenever the car warms up.

Those of you who have read my long-gone threads will know I ran all the major tests (compression/leakdown/coolant) to discover everything within specs.

However, I don't wish to continue driving it with the possibility of blowing something. I'm running about 8.5psi and it's possible that my highway runs have put some damage to the gaskets. POSSIBLE, though not necessarily true.

Now it seems that the only way to find out is to open up and look inside the engine. How much money should I expect to spend here ?

And if the gaskets are in fact faulty, how much money in labor/parts do you think it will take to repair?

This brings me to the big issue. Since I plan to be going to NorCal for a graduate degree at the end of 2005, I won't really have a use for a car on campus. I certainly wouldn't want to keep the Z there.

So I'm heavily contemplating the sale of the Z. If the gaskets are at fault, then I plan on either fixing them or telling the buyer about them.

What would you do in my shoes? To keep the car I might have to put another $8-10k into engine work. Since I don't plan on driving around campus I don't think this is the brighest idea. Guess I should just fix my baby and let her go ? (

All input welcome.
Old 12-28-2004 | 08:40 PM
ReavTek

8k for gaskets?! I would imagine pistons, rods, bearings, valves, valve-springs and install would be around 8k-10k but you dont NEED all of that right now. Im pretty sure replacement OEM gaskets would cost you around $200 or so dollars. It does sound like a gasket prolem if white smoke is billowing out. Happened to a friend of mine in his EG6 All Motor Civic. Maybe you should consider performance gaskets from Ferrea. I'm not really sure what else could be the problem. But you've put so much time and money into the car why sell it for chump change? After college you willl need a job... And you need a car to get you there. I couldn't imagine ever selling my Fairlady. :/
Old 12-28-2004 | 08:42 PM
ReavTek

Btw, nice wing. Is that the Veilside version 2?
Old 12-28-2004 | 09:58 PM
ssc

8-10K??? so will you be doing like a complete engine build-up?
in that case, i would keep the car...after you invest that money into your Z, it will be like a completly differnet/new car...it will be a beast.
besides, if you sell it, will you get another car? and what car will you get....the z is the best bang-for-buck out there now, dont you think?
Old 12-29-2004 | 02:02 PM
slay2k

Hi,

Thanks for the replies boys.

By 8-10k I meant a complete and total rebuild of the engine. That includes shortblock + much more (fuel system, stand-alone, etc). Naturally I wouldn't even think about doing this unless I *knew* I wanted to keep the car for a long time. And I'm just not sure that I do. Granted, the car is awesome... but like I enjoy women, I seem to enjoy new things every few years.

With that said, I'm either going to repair the gaskets and sell it (and yeah, take quite a loss). Or rebuild the engine and keep it, possibly forever.. :]

And the wing is V1 Veilside, btw.
Old 12-29-2004 | 02:09 PM
03znj
Know it all
Premier Member

If you decide to sell it and part it out i have dibs on the bodykit
Old 12-29-2004 | 02:26 PM
LOU

Since you are moving to the San Jose area, you will probably want a car. There are so many things to see and do in the surrounding areas and without a car it can be a drag. Now whether or not that car is your current one is another story.

In your situation and having to figure out what is wrong with the car, smogging it in CA, parking on campus, etc. It may just be a bigger hassle than what it is worth. Now that all depends on you. I can't advise you whether to sell it or not because I love my Z. I personally would put up with the hassle to keep it, but not everyone would.
Old 12-29-2004 | 02:53 PM
ssc

keep it forever
Old 12-29-2004 | 04:27 PM
slay2k

Heh yeah, unfortunately this is a dilemma I've been struggling with over the past 6 months or so. I still can't make up my mind, god dammit.
Old 12-29-2004 | 06:34 PM
acmw

If theres no more options left part it out you will recover lots of money then sell the car privatley
Old 12-29-2004 | 06:56 PM
Enron Exec

Try and find someone planning to build their good motor and swap your motors. That should only cost about 1200-1600 in labor and maybe 200 in parts.
Old 12-29-2004 | 07:11 PM
slay2k

Thanks for the input boys.

The dilemma I'm struggling with is how I can possibly put forth a bunch more money into the car and then have it sit in a parking lot for 2 years while I attend school, living on campus.

I love you guys and this board. It would be pretty damn hard letting it all go.
Old 12-30-2004 | 09:56 AM
shopenamehere

How hard is it for you to check bearing play on the turbos?

It sounds like you have some oil blow-by at the bearings if the motor checks out. That or your valve seals, but thats kinda unlikely.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:23 AM
slay2k

Hmm, my shop said a leakdown would show blow-by?
Old 12-31-2004 | 07:55 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Slay, you have put too much into your car to turn it loose now. Unless you simply cant afford to keep her anymore...then I would fix it up. Your car is beautful, and I gaurantee you will miss it and regret it when you sell it. My advise would be to set aside $5000 and do a basic engine rebuild. YOu dont have to go crazy with the boost and fuel system stuff. Just run it at 400-450whp with the current fuel setup...by know that in the future, you can upgrade the fuel system, ECU, and all that other stuff. Rods/pistons are around $1900 or less, and labor should be less than $2000. Throw in another $1000 or less for gaskets, bearings, studs, etc....and for under $5000 you can be rolling in a forged motor.

PM me if you want some details on the forged stuff.