Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Break In Period

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 08:06 AM
brettcrusoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Break In Period

I was wondering how long before i can unleash the fury. I was thinking a 1G before letting loose. How long have you guys been given for break-in? Thanks
Old 12-14-2002, 08:14 AM
integrate

Default Re: Break In Period

Originally posted by brettcrusoe
I was wondering how long before i can unleash the fury. I was thinking a 1G before letting loose. How long have you guys been given for break-in? Thanks
You SHOULD wait until 1200 miles, but I let it go up to 3rd gear at 1050 miles and my motor is fine. Actually, after 1050 miles, I let it go up to 3rd gear a couple more times. Redlining 1st and 2nd gear. I recently dynoed my car at 1350 miles and I received 256rwhp on a Dynapack Hub Dyno. So, there's definitely nothing wrong with the motor.

I don't think going full throttle/redlining after 1K miles should be a problem, but before I went full throttle after 1050 miles, I never brought the car over 3000 rpms.

Last edited by integrate; 12-14-2002 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:12 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow 256rwhp? quick(incorrect) math indicates 294hp. Id love to see your dyno sheet if you could. you officially have the highest hp number Ive seen yet.

that was SAE corrected right?
Old 12-15-2002, 08:23 AM
integrate

Originally posted by ares
wow 256rwhp? quick(incorrect) math indicates 294hp. Id love to see your dyno sheet if you could. you officially have the highest hp number Ive seen yet.

that was SAE corrected right?
Yea, I received 256 rwhp on a Hub Dyno, but these normally read about 8-10 rwhp higher than rolling dynos. So roughly 246-248 rwhp would show on a rolling dyno.

Here's a link to it.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=13909
Old 12-15-2002, 06:34 PM
TeamRedline808

Yep, go at least 1k miles, dont rev too far above 3-3.5k and dont stay at one speed for long periods of time. This is all you need to know!
Old 12-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Boomer

Default breakin

I stayed under or at 4000rpm, varying the rpm a lot for 600 miles, then started to take it to 5000, still varying the rpm a lot until about 1000 miles. I started to take it to 6000 on occasion, but no redline in any gear, until 1150, took it to redline in 2nd and the next day redlined it in 2nd and 3rd. I basically had it broken in and have been driving normally including WOT occasionally. The motor is getting stronger the more I push it and will definitely be a good all rounder at redline or idling in traffic. Its a beast, and I love it.

Boomer--do not drive at steady speeds, vary as much as you can.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:08 PM
McDan

Yeah, whatever you do, don't rev over 4000 rpms even 100 miles before 1200 Your engine will surely die. I've surprisingly ran mine ***** out after only 600 miles and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why my engine is not in pieces. Change your oil every 3000 miles like Jiffy Lube tells you to, too Don't ever race your car either cause Nissan says not to..

Dan
Old 12-16-2002, 04:20 PM
bhobson333

Default Previous thread on this subject

Here's a link to a good, thorough discussion we had on this topic a few months ago. There's a lot of good information here, so if you're interested, it's worth the time spent to read the thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=3120

I drove a lot of the research and engaged a lot of people on this board and on other Z boards; if you want to cut to the chase, read my post, the next-to-last in the thread at this time.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:47 PM
ahhhshucks

I am no expert at this. I only have a lil over 600 miles on it and have been driving relativley easy but occasionaly get on it, not touching red-line though. Commonsense would tell ya to take it easy and not drive it like you stole it.

The scarey part is my dealarship told me there was no break in period on it...I know better then that. I also know how the dealar and I test drove a touring and track model. I dont run my car like that though...heheheh

I own a silverstone base, delivered on dec 5
Old 12-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Cintel7

I don't plan on keeping it under 4K for 1200 miles and then go redline after that (don't want to shock it). I prefer to break in gradually.. I have 500 miles so far. the first couple of hundreds miles I kept her under 3 K, now I bring her up to 4K once in awhile, in two weeks I will bring her up to 5K once in a while and so on.

How's that?
Old 12-22-2002, 01:48 PM
robl45

I think this whole break in thing is a little nutty. First most new cars really don't require break in. But lets forget about that point, the main reason not to waste time breaking in your engine is that most likely if its been test driven, someone has already redlined the thing. And if they have already redlined it, you are kidding yourself about breaking it in. I'm going to buy a Z soon and I test drove one the other day and you can bet I redlined it and drove it hard to see how it could perform. Even if you get one straight from the factory and it only has 10 miles on it. All it takes it one idiot taking it out for a mile or 2 to redline it. So why not enjoy the car, and if the engine does blow up, nissan will replace it for you. Do you guys really think that when this car rolls into the dealership, someone there doesn't take it out and have some fun? My wife and I test drove a Jeep Liberty yesterday and the guy had us playing with the 4wd in the mud.

Rob
Old 12-22-2002, 03:51 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by robl45
is that most likely if its been test driven, someone has already redlined the thing. And if they have already redlined it, you are kidding yourself about breaking it in. I'm going to buy a Z soon and I test drove one the other day and you can bet I redlined it and drove it hard to see how it could perform. Even if you get one straight from the factory and it only has 10 miles on it. All it takes it one idiot taking it out for a mile or 2 to redline it.
That's the main reason why I was so particular at my dealer. I had him back it off the truck & not do anything else until I arrived. It still had all the paint protection film on it, hadn't been washed or inspected, had 5 miles on it.

Funny thing, even after that I had my car to 6000 RPM before it had 100 miles on it, but I did it carefully and gradually. I'm breaking my car in carefully, but I'm not babying it. I want a fast car!
Old 12-22-2002, 03:59 PM
robl45

Well if you got it that way, then what I said wouldn't apply, but that is not the majority of people, of course on another note, almost everything I've read at anytime says that people who have flat out driven their cars like they stole them from day one have faster engines. I don't know how true it is, just what I've seen time and time again.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're kidding, right?

Originally posted by McDan
Yeah, whatever you do, don't rev over 4000 rpms even 100 miles before 1200 Your engine will surely die. I've surprisingly ran mine ***** out after only 600 miles and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why my engine is not in pieces. Change your oil every 3000 miles like Jiffy Lube tells you to, too Don't ever race your car either cause Nissan says not to..

Dan