Thanks for all of your input guys!!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:55 PM
ZBoater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks purdy.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fwiw, i read a thread awhile ago which stated that a top-level racing outfit found that grounding kits were causing a loss of hp on the z.
that is all.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:28 PM
350xfire

Originally Posted by damnyankee38
I have seen several people installing grounding kits, but I don't know the reason. Can someone enlighten me??
IMO, it's just another piece of crap mod that gives you nothing in return but some really cool looking 4 gauge wire to look at.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Although the factory grounds may be "sufficient", there was pretty of room left for improvement. You'll quickly learn that the factory doesn't always do the best job. Car manufacturers are widely known for taking the cheaper and functional route. The electrical is typically one of those areas where they can save some money.

Again, the factory grounds may be ok, but you CAN improve them. It's not overkill to make them better. In fact, there are also cases where grounding kits can prolong the life of some engine components.

lol - the factory doesn't know their stuff? Come on, you’re really stretching now to prove something that has no basis. The engineers at Nissan know their stuff, and if you think they would give up performance, reliability and engine component longevity for a $2.00 savings on wire I have a bridge in NYC that’s for sale.

The ground wire size depends on the current the unit draws to complete the circuit. The #1 rule of thumb is that the ground wire ideally should be the same size as power wire for that circuit... anything larger than that will not 'hurt' but it will not HELP with efficiency.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:54 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

It's a ghey mod. You'd be better off with a grounding strap dragging on the ground. Then, you might actually notice something. Like not getting zapped after brushing your hair in your JUICY BOOTY velvet jogging suit on the way to work at the topless club...
Old 11-12-2005, 10:14 PM
bio911

the engineers know their stuff? then they need to get a lot of **** straight because there was a crap load of stuff wrong with the z. in any case, grounding the z even further would help, they of course do this from the factory but not very well (to our expectations). its like a light bulb that has a crapy ground, not too bright, but if you ground it correctly then its a whole lot brighter. same stuff with the car which of course has a lot more complicated electronic components.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:15 PM
bio911

oo and btw.. have u seen the factory grounding strap? its crap!
Old 11-12-2005, 10:23 PM
illZ

IMHO, a waste of money.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by bio911
the engineers know their stuff? then they need to get a lot of **** straight because there was a crap load of stuff wrong with the z. in any case, grounding the z even further would help, they of course do this from the factory but not very well (to our expectations). its like a light bulb that has a crapy ground, not too bright, but if you ground it correctly then its a whole lot brighter. same stuff with the car which of course has a lot more complicated electronic components.
I noticed absolutely no change with what is considered the best grounding kit on the market (Grounding Gear). IMO, it was a complete waste of time, but at least people love these things because I was able to get 80% of my money back. I ran the kit for about 2 weeks and I've had it off for about 2 weeks now, absolutely no difference in the way my G starts, shifts, idles, power delivery, etc.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:42 AM
jnkirk1974

Originally Posted by Philthy
lol - the factory doesn't know their stuff? Come on, you’re really stretching now to prove something that has no basis. The engineers at Nissan know their stuff, and if you think they would give up performance, reliability and engine component longevity for a $2.00 savings on wire I have a bridge in NYC that’s for sale.

The ground wire size depends on the current the unit draws to complete the circuit. The #1 rule of thumb is that the ground wire ideally should be the same size as power wire for that circuit... anything larger than that will not 'hurt' but it will not HELP with efficiency.
Read again there Pal, I said the FACTORY DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THE BEST JOB.....I didn't say they didn't know their stuff.

If the factory always did the best job, then why are we all trying to constantly mod our cars? Obviously, room has been left for improvement.

I'm saying they intentionally take the cheap route when it comes to certain parts of the car. Also, the parts don't just cost $2.00.

The engineers at Nissan know their stuff, and if you think they would give up performance, reliability and engine component longevity for a $2.00 savings on wire I have a bridge in NYC that’s for sale.

I'm assuming you don't know much about business by making this statement. Companies make decisions like this every single day.

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 11-13-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:43 AM
GAaaAR

Originally Posted by Dave B
I noticed absolutely no change with what is considered the best grounding kit on the market (Grounding Gear). IMO, it was a complete waste of time, but at least people love these things because I was able to get 80% of my money back. I ran the kit for about 2 weeks and I've had it off for about 2 weeks now, absolutely no difference in the way my G starts, shifts, idles, power delivery, etc.

+1, I think its really just engine dress up. Unless you plan to put a better stereo system in your car, i really dont see the point of this. The 350z and g35 is grounded good enough already. For other cars it might be different story. Not for our cars tho. Only if you run alot of electrical stuff.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
I'm assuming you don't know much about business by making this statement. Companies make decisions like this every single day.
Ok jnkirk1974 - enough with the personal attacks. You haven't put for a good debate, and I'm done trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.

Factory engineers do often make compromises when it comes to emissions, ride comfort and such when trying to meet federal regulations while still appealing to the masses. Improper grounding of wires isn't one of those areas where they make short cuts. Really, it would only cost a couple of dollars to increase the ground wire size - but it's money wasted so they don't.

When it comes to car audio and electronics I think I can back up my statements with a few credentials - I head up product development for a leading consumer electronics company and I'm currently the Expert World Champion in both IASCA and USACi - oh, my G35 is currently making over 800whp too...

I’m glad you’re happy with your super mod of grounding wires and you recommend this to others – I disagree with you and think people could spend their money on things that actually yield a great objective performance gain.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:22 PM
jnkirk1974

Originally Posted by Philthy
Ok jnkirk1974 - enough with the personal attacks. You haven't put for a good debate, and I'm done trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.

Factory engineers do often make compromises when it comes to emissions, ride comfort and such when trying to meet federal regulations while still appealing to the masses. Improper grounding of wires isn't one of those areas where they make short cuts. Really, it would only cost a couple of dollars to increase the ground wire size - but it's money wasted so they don't.

When it comes to car audio and electronics I think I can back up my statements with a few credentials - I head up product development for a leading consumer electronics company and I'm currently the Expert World Champion in both IASCA and USACi - oh, my G35 is currently making over 800whp too...

I’m glad you’re happy with your super mod of grounding wires and you recommend this to others – I disagree with you and think people could spend their money on things that actually yield a great objective performance gain.
I'm proud of you for your accomplishments, but to call everyone's grounding kit "cosmetic" is bogus.

Again, get your facts straight:

1) I never claimed that a grounding kit was the be-all mod.
2) I never claimed that anyone would generate ANY additional horsepower with a grounding kit. Quit putting words in my mouth. If someone wants to claim that, fine. It's not coming out of MY mouth.

Just as an FYI, the quote that you highlighted was hardly a personal attack. Being from New Jersey, I would have assumed you had tougher skin than that.

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 11-13-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:31 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by GAaaAR
+1, I think its really just engine dress up. Unless you plan to put a better stereo system in your car, i really dont see the point of this. The 350z and g35 is grounded good enough already. For other cars it might be different story. Not for our cars tho. Only if you run alot of electrical stuff.
There are a lot of G35 5AT owners that have had great results with the grounding kits, but from their descriptions of stock manual shift response (1+ seconds), my stock 5AT wasn't nearly as slow to react. My 5AT has always been pretty responsive. Who knows.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 AM
thezedsled

This product, in whatever brand you find it has the very special characteristic of producing a decrease in volume and mass of your wallet while adding yet another component to your car that does absolutely nothing. A nismo sticker has more function…
Old 11-16-2005, 04:00 PM
350xfire

Originally Posted by thezedsled
This product, in whatever brand you find it has the very special characteristic of producing a decrease in volume and mass of your wallet while adding yet another component to your car that does absolutely nothing. A nismo sticker has more function…

Grounding Kit = RICE.... Tastes so goooood