Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Are We Getting A Turbo'd Z From The Factory Anytime??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 06:13 PM
myZ97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Are We Getting A Turbo'd Z From The Factory Anytime??

So whats the deal, the new motortrend mentioned a turbo z in the future. Anyone know if we are going to get this? I mean it would make sense. I know a vert is for sure in the works, but what im really wanting is a factory turbod car! What are your thoughts.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:24 PM
soulswimmer

Default which issue?

Looking at where car industry is headed, I think turbo is very likely late 04 or early 05 model. Manufacturers all over are getting into horsepower wars and bumping the z up to around 350hp would fit right in as well as follow the theme set by the last z...300zx - 300hp. Also I can vaguely recall another high profile sportscar out there with something in the neighborhood of 350hp. There will also most likely be an over 300hp mustang, supra, pontiac gto, as well as unforseen others. Nissan will have to up the horsepower ante significantly to compete and it seems FI would be the way to go with this engine.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Guru

I think the 350Z may remain NA in the US. If we get anything turbocharged it'll be the GTR which wil obviously be quite a bit more expensive than a 350Z or G35 coupe. Still, I am hoping this to be true since I have a deposit burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:05 PM
NECurve

Default I hope it is a supercharger!!!

I hope that any FI 350Z that is factory would be a SC. SC's are more reliable, less maintenance, and have a much more linear power curve. I have owned many FI cars and SC is the way to go.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:07 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah Id like to see this issue too, cause I highly doubt it, they dont want to price the car any higher than it is, and conv will make it even worse. let the others price themselves out of the market just like the mid 90's. hopefully nissan learned their lesson.

as for other 300hp cars, mustang is basicly already there, and is too heavy to do anything with it other than straight lines, and the new mustang is the ugliest thing created; and that is NOT subjective. supra has no dfinite level, but 300 is about right, lets wait and see tho. other than that, Im not sure what competition there is. maybe an rx7, no plans on that YET. or STi and evo for those that are going into the rally category... they are quite fast, but in a totally different class of cars 4doors, 4wd, turbo I4. rally car(which doesnt exist in the USA), not sports car.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:21 AM
myZ97

These are all good points. I agree that the new mustang doesnt look good at all. Even though it has power...its heavier, live rear axle, dated interior. Thanks for your responses.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Zthirtythree

while in japan VQ motors have been sold with turbos (cedric and so forth), i highly doubt that Nissan will offically build the Z33 as a turbo because of the following reasons:

a) VQ35 already makes japan's max Hp of 285.
b) Z32 experienced major criticism for being too expensive and too unweildy in twinturbo form.
c) magazines like to make things up, trust me.
d) Nissan has already built, tested, and intoduced the privateer JGTCC/ALMS Z33 racecar, and it is NA. only $70,000.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:06 AM
digerydingo

Originally posted by Zthirtythree
while in japan VQ motors have been sold with turbos (cedric and so forth), i highly doubt that Nissan will offically build the Z33 as a turbo because of the following reasons:

b) Z32 experienced major criticism for being too expensive and too unweildy in twinturbo form.
d) Nissan has already built, tested, and intoduced the privateer JGTCC/ALMS Z33 racecar, and it is NA. only $70,000.
Dude your right in everything but 1 category, It'll be $70,000 + tax.

I'm kidding, but your totally correct, I don't think Nissan will introduce factory turbo's. Best you can hope for is a Nismo kit sold through dealers.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Zthirtythree

go nismo

Last edited by Zthirtythree; 01-06-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Zthirtythree

thats what im talking about, yours for $70,000 +TAX!

http://www.nismo.co.jp/M_SPORTS/z33/index.html
Attached Thumbnails Are We Getting A Turbo'd Z From The Factory Anytime??-z33racecar.jpg  

Last edited by Zthirtythree; 01-06-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Guru

Default Re: I hope it is a supercharger!!!

Originally posted by NECurve
I hope that any FI 350Z that is factory would be a SC. SC's are more reliable, less maintenance, and have a much more linear power curve. I have owned many FI cars and SC is the way to go.
More reliable? Less maintenance? Whoa. That's a complete myth. I'll give you linear power curve but no way will Nissan release an SC version considering how much work they are putting into the TT version of the VQ motor. Yes the NA version is already at max allowed HP in Japan but they are repealing that rule this year. Give me a turbo anyday though. If they go SC I will have to go out and find something different to buy. No way will I ever own another SC car. Slow and no fun.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:18 PM
3rdpower

Slow? com'on now... Slow may be a bit uh... nooo...

A SC is more reliable. Less cost to install and great linear power - an excellent compliment to the Z's great power curve. I don't need more top end - I need more bottom end grunt.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:19 PM
3rdpower

Default hm

Slow? com'on now... Slow may be a bit uh... nooo...

A SC is more reliable. Less cost to install and great linear power - an excellent compliment to the Z's great power curve. I don't need more top end - I need more bottom end grunt.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Zthirtythree

Default Re: Re: I hope it is a supercharger!!!

Originally posted by Guru
considering how much work they are putting into the TT version of the VQ motor.
SUPERCHARGER... NO! no way in hell
TURBO... probally not

what work are they putting into TTing a VQ35? turbo on a VQ30 or anyother VQ is not the same as turbo on a VQ35. same engine number, same block... DEFINATELY NOT THE SAME ENGINE. to my knowledge there has been no offical turbo work done to the VQ35.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:12 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC do require less tuning, more of a set it and forget it kinda thing. a turbo engine in many ways requires some maintnence, particularly when you want to get your moneys worth out of it. sure you can strap a turbo on and get a few ponies, but you could have alot of ponies if you tried harder.

also TT would put the Z well beyond most emmision standards, and I dont think there are any loopholes left to make it through.

as for it being at the japan limit... that was a gentlemans agreement, not sure how that can be "repealed" or enforced, for all intents purposes, the thing was broken long ago, namely in 1990s by the NSX, Supra, 300ZX, GT-R, ect. how can that still be considered in action except possibly if they underrated the japanese spec cars. oh and I didnt even mention the various SUV and sedan vehicles that have 300+hp V8s such as the Q45, and a few others. such as the lexus (SC430 and that other living room sedan)
Old 01-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Jumpman--Z

In the November issue of Super Street, there is an article on JGTC racing that mentions that there were already some Skylines being powered by twin turbo VQ motors.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by Zthirtythree

a) that doesn't mean jack; the 300ZX twin turbo is "tuned" down to 280hp in JDM;
b) forced induction doesn't have to be expensive; the 300ZX twin turbo cost $36k 1990 and that's w/ a one-off chassis, one-off motor, and other "expensive" design/engineering feats;
c) magazines go by the information they have or given by the manufacturer and manufacturers are known to give out red herrings or early-information that may change by production;
d) I'm curious, does Porsche race one of their turbo flavored 911's in ALMS or do they use one of their NA flavors???

If Nissan readily acknowledges the avail. of a turbo model sooo soon in the game, then what do you think other manufacturers will do in response? Nissan released the 300ZX Twin Turbo in 1990; Toyota was ready and willing to release the Supra soon afterwards, but chose to go back to the drawing board and ultimately fitted a different motor (2jz-gte) and released it 3 full years later.

Michael.

Last edited by Michael-Dallas; 01-07-2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Guru

Originally posted by Jumpman--Z
In the November issue of Super Street, there is an article on JGTC racing that mentions that there were already some Skylines being powered by twin turbo VQ motors.
Yep, they are already testing the VQ30 TT version in their racing and prototyping divisions. As I said, no way in hell are they ever going to release an SC version of the VQ motor but a TT version will be in the new Skyline for sure. Whether we get that motor or the Skyline here in the US is another matter entirely but I think prospects look good due to the good sales of WRX's, EVO's, and of course the 350Z/G35's.

Quick Reply: Are We Getting A Turbo'd Z From The Factory Anytime??