Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:34 AM
jcarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain

Is It Possible That When I Timing Chain Breaks On The New Z That The Valves And Internals Are Still Good. My Broke At 2300 Miles And Nissan Doesnt Want To Warranty Bc Of My Exhuast And So I Was Thinking Of Just Replacing The Timing Chain And Maybe The Valves.?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 AM
TheCajunStyle

Sorry if this doesn't help you but I think you should get NNA on the phone. An exhaust has nothing to do with the timing chain. And if they are going to say something like "blah blah blah back pressure blah blah blah," I say, "prove it."
Old 03-07-2006, 07:57 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the z is an interference motor. do a compression test, it can very likely break a whole lot of stuff if the timing chain breaks. good luck, dont fall for their bs.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:26 AM
jcarp

thanks for the input yeah i've been without my car for two weeks and my customer service rep from nissan has yet to contact me and their service tech just said that he's not gonna come down and look at the car he is just gonna go by what the dealership says and that really pi$$ed me off.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM
jcarp

when it broke i just cranked my car up and put it in gear and slowly started to move and it broke. the rpms bearly got above a grand and then it make a clunk noise and went dead. i hope thats all thats wrong with it i might try to install a timing chain myself to see if it helps. i cant loose much right now.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:54 AM
plumpzz

i sugget gettng rid of the crawford upper plenum and MREV and the AEM CAI and CJR pulleys. Those could possibly have actually done something to ur engine...and thats legit grounds for denying ur warranty. Put on all stock engine parts before they inspect ur car..
Old 03-07-2006, 11:29 AM
jcarp

i had all the stock parts on and they told me that it looked like the plenum had been taken off. i just asked them to give me in writting why the timing chain broke and what made it break and they told me that they couldnt do that bc the didnt tear into the motor and there is no compression. so they dont know how are why it broke but they dont want to warranty it bc of aftermarket exhaust and it lookes like the factory plenum has been taken off. i told him i took it off to pait it which i did but it is all factory on it and nissan has yet to contact me besides the service mgr of nissan who was no help he just backed up the dealership. nissan freaking sucks, i've never had this kind of problem anywhere else.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
overboostedtoy

timing chain broke? that's rather unusual let along it has only 2300 miles. I had my previous Honda ran up to 150k miles w/o even changing the timing belt and gave me no trouble. Are you sure it's the timing chain? Have you or anyone confirmed the chain is broken?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM
TheCajunStyle

Originally Posted by jcarp
Broke At 2300 Miles And Nissan Doesnt Want To Warranty Bc Of My Exhuast
so they dont know how are why it broke but they dont want to warranty it bc of aftermarket exhaust and it lookes like the factory plenum has been taken off.
Hey man, I'm not trying to come off as a *****, but I really think you need to stand up for your rights (see the bold part):

Q. Does installing an aftermarket part, automatically void my vehicle factory warranty? A. NO, According to the Magnusson-Moss Act of 1975 (see below):

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Show them this, and then tell them you will be contacting your lawyer. Then REALLY contact a lawyer.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
jcarp

Thanks Guys, Tomorrow I'm Calling My Lawayer I've Used Before Hes A Friend Of The Family And Has Done Pretty Good For Me Before And Show Him This Stuff And Let Me Contact The Dealer Bc This Is Bs They Cant Just Say We Dont Want To I'll Make Their A$$'s Do It.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:26 PM
plumpzz

Once they agree, tell them you want to transfer your warranty work to another dealership. Don't worry, they'll definatley agree..ur exhaust has absoutley nothing to do with the timing chain. (i didnt even know how car had a timing chain)..
Old 03-07-2006, 01:31 PM
jcarp

i'm gonna try to get a whole new car i'll be loosing money on springs and tint but it'll be worth it.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:35 PM
pln2311

F them. Just be an a$$hole. You'll get it out of them.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:40 PM
jcarp

i'm gonna try and contact someone else at nissan tomorrow and may be i'll get some help. its been 2 weeks and no customer service. email's dont do anything i'll see what being a dic% does.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
jakesford

i'm gonna try and contact someone else at nissan tomorrow and may be i'll get some help. its been 2 weeks and no customer service. email's dont do anything i'll see what being a dic% does.
just an idea, if you can get a lawyer to help you out a little bit, have them personally contact nissan on your behalf, that will get their attention.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Next thing you know, someone's going to blow a gasket and it won't be covered due to aftermarket stereo.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
undrgnd

Aftermarket pulleys? Sounds to me like they may have a valid point. BTW, Nissan lawyers, if they're anything like Subaru lawyers, can read forums also. My friend had STi service denied because of his mods, and they told him out right that they had seen his posts and had his car blacklisted so the next dealership he went to was already aware of his mods - even though he had them taken off by then. Good luck anyway
Old 03-08-2006, 05:02 AM
jcarp

i never installed the pulleys i was gonna let nissan because i was worried about setting the belt tension. so i have an mrev lower intake and a kjr pulley brand new never installed just sitting in my room.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:35 AM
VandyZ

Ok so I know a little about this because when we did my cam install my chain was in bad shape, but that was on an 03 with 50K miles.

It is very likely that you have damaged valves. Do you know exactly what broke? Timing Chain? Cam chain?

So here is what has to happen. Pull front cover. Replace broke chain and get the car retimed. Replace front cover and check compression. This alone will cost about $500. Then you just hope you got lucky and bent or broke no valves. If you did then the engine has to be pulled.

Did you have any intake spacers, plenums, or anything bolted to the intake? I find it more likely that your engine would have swallowed a nut, bolt, or washer causing the noise and then ceasing the engine.

Call Doug if you need expert advices on what to do. I would first try to get another dealer to warranty the problem. There are not too many mods that will cause a timing chain to break. That is BS if they wont fix it.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:40 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get a lawyer involved if I was you. Keep us updated

Quick Reply: Timing Chain