Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery
View Poll Results: What clutch do you have?
ACT
13.68%
Centerforce
1.71%
Clutch Masters
5.13%
JWT
41.88%
Nismo
10.26%
UR
0%
Other
27.35%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

What Clutch do you have and do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice. Any thing with Jim Wolf's name on it is going to work, period. That is just the way he is about everything he does.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
TTRANK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump to bring this back from the dead. Just thought it might help people make a choice.

FYI - I now have a JWT and have been very happy with it.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Quamen

I have a clutchmasters FX??? (the highest one) and JWT flywheel. I like the combo but my springs are going so the clutch likes to rub at cold idle (not air bubbles in clutch lines). I have a feeling that this had something to do with the high horsepower my car say before it's demise in 2005 so I need a new clutch and I think I am going to go with the JWT.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Many people are happy with their JWT, but I don't hear anything about the feel of the clutch. I heard the clutch is a bit chatty around low rpms and that the pedal is lower and softer than stock. Can anybody valid this? This the JWT combo grab noticeably harder than stock? Anybody every compare it to the ACT?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Many people are happy with their JWT, but I don't hear anything about the feel of the clutch. I heard the clutch is a bit chatty around low rpms and that the pedal is lower and softer than stock. Can anybody valid this? This the JWT combo grab noticeably harder than stock? Anybody every compare it to the ACT?

I drove a JWT and did not like it. The engagement was very off or on and the engagement was VERY low to the floor. No adjusting could pull the engagement off the floor more than a couple inches.

After reading the responses by JWT owners, I was very unimpressed after driving one.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Damn, that sucks.. JWT clutch is one of my top choices. I wish there was one nearby I could drive.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
rocks

I have the JWT Clutch and 14lbl Flywheel. The clutch engagement was close to the floor but the pedal was adjusted and made it better. The clutch cylinder bled out over a few weeks and engagement is alot higher now. The flywheel has some chatter to it but it doesnt bother me. It does not slip in a NA application at all. I raced a friends car the other night 5 times and it did not slip once, these were back to back runs without letting the clutch cooldown. It engages pretty hard between gears when you are shifting at the redline.

So yea i have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:08 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

So, how audible is the chatter? And how was the clutch engagement point made higher? If I'm getting a transmission swap done by the dealership under warranty and they're the ones putting in a new clutch kit, will they do what's necessary to make sure engagement point is like stock?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
So, how audible is the chatter? And how was the clutch engagement point made higher? If I'm getting a transmission swap done by the dealership under warranty and they're the ones putting in a new clutch kit, will they do what's necessary to make sure engagement point is like stock?
the chatter is related to the lightened flywheel. If you choose a lightened flywheel you will have chatter regardless of manufacturer.

The engagement can be brought up through normal rod/pedal adjustment, but in the car I drove, was still much too low for my liking. The owner actually contacted JWT about the low engagement and was advised it was normal for the setup. As Rocks advised, it may get better over time, but in the car I had experience with we adjusted the pedal as much as possible, and bled the line twice and it only helped minimally
Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by Zivman
the chatter is related to the lightened flywheel. If you choose a lightened flywheel you will have chatter regardless of manufacturer.

The engagement can be brought up through normal rod/pedal adjustment, but in the car I drove, was still much too low for my liking. The owner actually contacted JWT about the low engagement and was advised it was normal for the setup. As Rocks advised, it may get better over time, but in the car I had experience with we adjusted the pedal as much as possible, and bled the line twice and it only helped minimally
I actually read that thread. Didn't he sell it soon after and couldn't give his opinion? I read that others had the same problem, and some claimed theirs got fixed over time, but no confirmation.

Weren't you the one he referred to as the mechanic or the guy that phoned a mechanic friend? Anyway, which clutch (no flywheel) would you recommend then for around the same price (under $450) and same performance as the JWT?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:36 PM
rocks

You should really do the flywheel now as it will save you money in the long run, part of the reason i got the jwt was that it was a wear strip you can remove so you do not have to resurface it. The stock flywheel can not be resurfaced, and it costs like 1500$ from the dealer....

I was going to bleed my clutch but i did not have time due to work and other things going on. I also wanted to see if it would self bleed wich it did. The engagment now is just like stock. It took about a month for the engagment point to return to normal, but it never slips. The stock clutch i thought was a POS, under to much power taking off into traffic on a grade it would slip and the pedal would stick to the floor. People try and say its the clutch line but with the JWT it has never stuck to the floor or slipped even in back to back drag launches. So honestly i dont really think its the clutch line. I probably have to push the pedal about halfway to the floor or less to shift, but when im getting on it i always push it all the way to the floor.

Spec clutches are really good too, i have had luck with them in other cars.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Thank you all for chiming in about the JWT. I think I got a good idea about that system. Any ACT people out there? I'm torn between the street and 6 puck with spung hub. Is there a noticable difference mating it with the street or prolite flywheel? As you guys can tell I am on the fence between these two. I've done an extensive search on this topic and there was a lot of info. Unfortunately there were also a lot of contradiction feedbacks.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

That's funny because, I've never felt any sort of slipping of the clutch in my car and I have 48K miles on my car now with many 1/4 mile passes. But then again, I pull on other Z's with higher peak power and better power curves. Maybe I just have an factory freak?

The fact is, I can't afford to buy the flywheel at the same time right now. And it's not like I have all the time in the world because the dealer already has my tranny in and I can only keep them waiting for so long.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 AM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by rocks
I have the JWT Clutch and 14lbl Flywheel. The clutch engagement was close to the floor but the pedal was adjusted and made it better. The clutch cylinder bled out over a few weeks and engagement is alot higher now. The flywheel has some chatter to it but it doesnt bother me. It does not slip in a NA application at all. I raced a friends car the other night 5 times and it did not slip once, these were back to back runs without letting the clutch cooldown. It engages pretty hard between gears when you are shifting at the redline.

So yea i have nothing but good things to say about it.
+1

I've driven NA and boosted with JWT and ATS (respectively). If you're going to get a nice clutch/flywheel for NA or mildly boosted applications, I think that the JWT is a great setup.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 PM
hr2burn

I see many have JWT, I have a thread on possible issues (?) I am using this with a ACT Prolite flywheel and can't get enough adjustment to get clutch to disengage ALL THE WAY. Anyone else have this/corrected this?
Sean
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Cloud

For some reason I think clutch chatter has something to do with the clutch as well. Nismo has a good 21lb flywheel but still chatters. I have a JUN flywheel which is supposed to be one of the quietest. but when mated with the nismo clutch, it chatters like hell.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:18 AM
TTRANK

Originally Posted by Cloud
For some reason I think clutch chatter has something to do with the clutch as well. Nismo has a good 21lb flywheel but still chatters. I have a JUN flywheel which is supposed to be one of the quietest. but when mated with the nismo clutch, it chatters like hell.

The Nismo still chatters because it's also a 1pc. The oem flywheel is a 2-pc dual mass made to absorb the noise.