Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Removing stock oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing stock oil cooler

Anyone done this? I have an aftermarket cooler so I don't need the stock one and its just one more restriction for the oil before it hits the filter. My only real question is if the block will accept the stock filter once the cooler is removed.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:35 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
Anyone done this? I have an aftermarket cooler so I don't need the stock one and its just one more restriction for the oil before it hits the filter. My only real question is if the block will accept the stock filter once the cooler is removed.
After looking at some pics it seems there is a coolant inlet and outlet hose. Couldn't you just bypass the cooler all together? Connect the two hoses directly to each other and put a cap on the oil filter ports. Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

Heres a pic of what I'm talking about..
Attached Thumbnails Removing stock oil cooler-img_6302.jpg  
Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My plan is to run one piece of Aeroquip hose from end to end of those coolant connections to make it clean, but I really want to move the cooler itself for a couple reasons. The main reason though is to move my filter closer to the block to make it easier to change. Right now I have one sandwich piping oil to my Earls cooler and another one to house my oil temp sender. Counting the stock cooler, its like 3 sandwiches, so I want to get rid of one.

Mia, is that your engine in the picture? Would you mind unscrewing the cooler to see if the stock oil filter can be screwed right to the block?

Thanks,

Last edited by 350Zteve; 06-27-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:50 AM
MIAPLAYA

My plan is to run one piece of Aeroquip hose from end to end of those coolant connections to make it clean, but I really want to move the cooler itself for a couple reasons. The main reason though is to move my filter closer to the block to make it easier to change. Right now I have one sandwich piping oil to my Earls cooler and another one to house my oil temp sender. Counting the stock cooler, its like 3 sandwiches, so I want to get rid of one.
Well there is another option, You could buy an oil pan spacer (JWT one is under $100) and tap that for the oil temp sensor. Or get the AAM one that has a pre-drilled and tapped fitting for a 1/8" NPT sensor. Plus you get an extra qt of oil out of the deal
Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
MIAPLAYA

Mia, is that your engine in the picture? Would you mind unscrewing the cooler to see if the stock oil filter can be screwed right to the block?

Thanks,
Sorry, didn't see the ninja edit. Thats not my motor. i pulled the pic from 350Zdcalb's thread in the F/I forum. He deals with built motors all day though so he may be able to test this theory for you..