Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Torched Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump question

Working on saturday i heard a couple of people talking about cars. And they said that if you dont have more than a half a tank of gas in your car that it will hurt your fuel pump or something? Is that just people talking about somehting they have no idea about or is there some truth to this??

Because currently whenever i fill up my tank i only put in 1/2 or a little more! i never fill up my tank completly! Just wondering if those people knew what they were talking about or not.

Thanks for all the help!

Torched Z
Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torched Z
Working on saturday i heard a couple of people talking about cars. And they said that if you dont have more than a half a tank of gas in your car that it will hurt your fuel pump or something? Is that just people talking about somehting they have no idea about or is there some truth to this??

Because currently whenever i fill up my tank i only put in 1/2 or a little more! i never fill up my tank completly! Just wondering if those people knew what they were talking about or not.

Thanks for all the help!

Torched Z
you said it,people who dont know their *** from a hole in the ground.but if you run it dry you can easily damage the fuel pump.gas lubricates and cools the fuel pump.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:20 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if ran dry, it can hurt the fuel pump.

but the factory setup in the 350z is very efficient at keeping fuel to the pump. There is a swirl pot / surge tank and a siphon to draw fuel into the can from the other side of the tank.

it will prevent the fuel pump from running dry even under full throttle or fast turns while the fuel levels are very low. While its fine even once the light comes on, that is when you are starting to get near where you would need to worry about it. So just drive it nice when the light is on and you are OK.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Q45tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the fuel temperature sensor to determine the effects of different fuel levels especially in 120F Summer traffic.