Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch & Flywheels...Its All Greek To Me!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
phase1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch & Flywheels...Its All Greek To Me!?!

I want to purchase a new clutch system and flywheel, but I am clueless.

What brand?
Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 4....etc?

Light weight steel flywheel?
Ultra light weight steel flywheel?

These are just a couple of questions off the top of my head. I am sure there are more to come.

Basically I am installing a Greddy Twin Turbo and a few other engine mods and I want to make sure I get a clutch and flywheel that are going to be able to handle all the horsepower and torque.

So any advice or comments will really help. Thanks in advance.
R.T.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by phase1
I want to purchase a new clutch system and flywheel, but I am clueless.

What brand?
Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 4....etc?

Light weight steel flywheel?
Ultra light weight steel flywheel?

These are just a couple of questions off the top of my head. I am sure there are more to come.

Basically I am installing a Greddy Twin Turbo and a few other engine mods and I want to make sure I get a clutch and flywheel that are going to be able to handle all the horsepower and torque.

So any advice or comments will really help. Thanks in advance.
R.T.
On a stock bottom end a Stage 1 type clutch should be all you need. I personally have the ACT Stage 1 pressure plate and Street disc and JWT flywheel but the best setup I've driven was the ACT street disc clutch, Stage 1 pressure plate, and ACT Prolite flywheel. Thats would I get. www.z1auto.com has them for a good price too.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 AM
phase1

so whats the differenct b/w a stage 1, stage 2, .....stage 5?

i was reading on competitionclutch.com (http://www.competitionclutch.com/vie...cted_year=2005) that a stage 5 is used when "you" have a large turbo plus other internal engine mods and will provide anywhere b/w 250-400% increase in torque.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:00 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by phase1
so whats the differenct b/w a stage 1, stage 2, .....stage 5?

i was reading on competitionclutch.com (http://www.competitionclutch.com/vie...cted_year=2005) that a stage 5 is used when "you" have a large turbo plus other internal engine mods and will provide anywhere b/w 250-400% increase in torque.
Well it depends on the company honestly. Some consider a Stage 1 to be capable of handling 519 ft/lb (ACT) while others consider a Stage 1 to only handle 400 ft/lb (Clutchmasters)
Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Im a real fan of the ACT line , The prolite flywheel is a chromoly single unit so ur going to get a let less noise than with something like the JWT flywheel, and it really makes the car come alive nicelly. I personally have teh clutchmasters FX300 which is a kevlar ceramic unit plus im N/A for now so i should get quite a bit of miles from it and its very very streetable, but Ive driven a friends ACT unsprung 6puck clutch and ACT prolite flywheel and I was surprised just how easy the sucker was to drive. The clutch is barelly heavier than the stock one and altough its unsprung still very streetable. Honestly the 350 takes to any clutch very well no matter how ridicolous it might b, so its really a matter of figuring out how much power ull b making and making a conservative and safe choice to cope with the output, but as far as flywheels ...ACT prolite all the way
Old 09-18-2006, 09:58 AM
phase1

thanks fellas....i appreciate the comments.

anyone else who has some input, keep it coming
Old 09-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Wholey Smokes

I just picked up an ACT HDSS clutch and Streetlite Flywheel. My first impression just from the look of the parts is that they are very high quality. I'm surprised how thick the Zs flywheel is, though. Its weird.

I have to wait until next month to install them (and a bunch of other parts) when I have some time off of work.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greddy TT? If your going for more than 450rwhp definetly go with the Carbonetic (Formerly ATS) twin carbon clutch and lightweight flywheel. Best clutch out there. It has an unsprung hub, has a long life, it is very light, and will handle just about anything you could throw at it. Expect to pay about $1900 for it. If your going for more than 650 rwhp then go for the triple disc carbon clutch.

http://www.carbonetic.net/

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 09-20-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Define your HP goals first, as well as what you are using the car for? From there, it's easier to make a solid recommendation
Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 PM
whitebwoy

Is Exedy not a very good line of clutches?
That's the route I was gonna take, but only because the place I buy from deals them, but personally I am not into changing my clutch every damn year either, so I will buy whatever is necassary.

I'm looking to boost in about 6 months to a year, after I get used to driving a RWD car for a while. BUt it won't be anything dramatic as I am not looking to buy a built block either. Maximum I am looking to make 350-400whp.

I don't agree in the theory of just putting on a 1000hp clutch for half the power, I think you're just asking for axle/gearbox problems at that point.

The way I see it, the clutch is meant to slip a fraction. It is afterall where the weakest point should be, so that it gives way, instead of something ytou need - like an axle or something. lol.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 PM
whitebwoy

Just read up on the carbonetic clutches. NOt bad reviews at all!

My freind has a Tilton clutch in his race car (DC5-Type R) and he is disguusted with it, and the service he's had with them.

I'd never go tilton, but these carbonetic people sound like they have a first rate product. Might consider them over Exedy, as I hear Exedy's don't generally last long.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:21 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebwoy
The way I see it, the clutch is meant to slip a fraction. It is afterall where the weakest point should be, so that it gives way, instead of something ytou need - like an axle or something. lol.
That's what I learned in auto shop class back in the day.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if all you're looking for is in the 400-450 whp or even a tad more, the ACT should be your choice. Awesome pedal feel, very smooth to drive around, slips enough on command to not kill your tranny, does not need any heat to build up in it to grip and very very affordable. Several people here have them and have rave reviews
Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
whitebwoy

I just checked ACT's website. Is there anything different about the 06 Z why they wouldn't have a clutch/pressure plate/flywheel available for 06 mmodels?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Brian@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

The 06 clutch is slightly different as the clamping force is a bit higher, but size and everything else should be the same. If you're only shooting for 400whp, we have many customers who have been thoroughly happy with their JWT clutch and around that power range.

JWT Clutch
JWT Flywheel