Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Had an interesting conversation with someone at Stillen last night.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:52 AM
Zaphod 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an interesting conversation with someone at Stillen last night.

Talking about the supercharger, he said that the current offering will in the streets in like 30 - 45 days. +80 to 90hp. After a little while they will release an upgrade package featuring a smaller pulley and injectors. No idea what that will produce. He also said they are working on redesigning the strut tower brace to work around the supercharger. Here's the biggest point of interest. He told me that they are in talks with Nissan to get the supercharger covered in the powertrain warranty.

I know most people favor the turbos, but I for one will opt for SC even if it's making 20hp less if Nissan will still honor the warranty.

I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:56 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I agree, I would prefer the SC specially with factory warranty, my only problem is that ugly *** hood plus they would definetly have to replace the strut bar to regaing rigidity. That hood is just a killer for me though it looks like something out madmax or knightrider, UGH!!!!! I know it is not the the one with the hole in it but the other one is not much better.

Last edited by westpak; 03-13-2003 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:01 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Attached Thumbnails Had an interesting conversation with someone at Stillen last night.-knightrider.jpg  
Old 03-13-2003, 06:09 AM
Zaphod 350z

Haha. that's great. If I were to get the SC, I would probably put the hood modification into the hands of my buddy's shop. He has an amazing body shop in brooklyn. they do sorts of custom work. Their cars win awards.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:36 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default more hp, no hood pls

80-90 hp? I thought I read 60hp before? Which one is accurate? If I could get 90 hp, no rice hood look, and a warranty, I am interested. 60 hp with hood is another thing.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:13 AM
Jspec350z

90 HP and a factory warranty!!! This is a no brainer. I will order one when it is out. Hmm I am thinking bigger injectors and intercooler will push it up to about 130hp. This could be fun!!
Old 03-13-2003, 07:20 AM
m'sZ

I thought I read on one of the threads that they are trying to get it to fit with the stock hood? Anyone have confirmation of this?

Warranty would be the deal-breaker for me.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:20 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesnt stillen quote gains like with an exhaust, headers, ect? to pad them? remember they have the 20hp exhaust or something like that...
Old 03-13-2003, 07:24 AM
3rdpower

I'll just buy a shaker hood like on the new Stang Mach 1... that thing looks awesome!

All jokes aside - 90hp is good.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

how do you intercool a Roots type blower? you cant

this isnt like the Vortech centrifugal S/C...

Originally posted by Jspec350z
90 HP and a factory warranty!!! This is a no brainer. I will order one when it is out. Hmm I am thinking bigger injectors and intercooler will push it up to about 130hp. This could be fun!!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:47 AM
Zaphod 350z

Chee Bo is right. No IC here. Seems like such a waste of all that space behind the bumper. I may install an electric heater and rent it out to a family of pygmies.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:54 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are dumping fuel in with a 7th injector right now . . .not cool! What happens when fuel collects on the inside walls and then ignites? BOOOOOOM. I doubt Nissan will ever warranty this setup as it is now.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:02 AM
SpyVO

Originally posted by Chebosto
how do you intercool a Roots type blower? you cant

this isnt like the Vortech centrifugal S/C...
Sure you can. Most of the blown Mercedes motors are intercooled, as are the Lightnings and Cobras.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Jspec350z

Dammit this supercharger is a POS!! Stillen fix it before you release it!! I want an intercooler!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:07 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a supercharger MUST be centrifugal to be IC. that simple, I believe all those you mentioned are centrifugal, as is the S2000 vortech SC.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Quick

Originally posted by ares
a supercharger MUST be centrifugal to be IC. that simple, I believe all those you mentioned are centrifugal, as is the S2000 vortech SC.
actually, they are all roots blowers. Eaton M112 for the L as well as the cobra.

The intercooler for these units are water-cooled, not air cooled and they sit down in the intake valley to cool the charge. And due to the size of the heat exchanger they are using, actually work very well.

But, if stillen is using an additional injector, that will make an intercooler even more dangerous. Reason: well, the intercooler required to cool a roots blower will require the air to be broken up even more. This will facilitate the pooling of gasoline and eventually boom!

The only viable long term solution is proper engine management. I can't tell you how many times i have seen motors blown because of the "tack-on" solution of an additional injector. If the intake manifold doesn't disperse air *exactly* correct then the denser fuel will never be divided exactly to the air ratio either. End result.... one cylinder leaner than the rest and no more motor.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:43 AM
djlynch

60 hp, 90 hp....

Regardless of HP, how bout torque?? Roots blowers are torque MONSTERS

I would love to be able to snap the neck of my passenger (without using my hands, of course )
Old 03-13-2003, 08:11 PM
SpyVO

Yeah they are... And I can just picture a nice little intercooled roots blower between the banks of cylinders of a Z motor. That would be pretty neat. It would hardly be noticable! Just an extra pulley sticking out... "What's that do?" "That? It's just an idler pulley..." You could make it all fit under the stock hood pretty easily, too. Ford and Mercedes both have made V6s that have setups like this (although the Ford one had an air-to-air intercooler). The only bad part is that you'd really need to build the motor for the application for best results (but it would be SOOOOOO worth it. Just check out what some of the '03 Cobras are putting down! Yikes!)
Old 03-14-2003, 12:32 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a big fan of Stillen, or SCs for that matter.

But for all those interested, i would not count on a factory warranty. I'll bet you $5 via Paypay .
Old 03-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Dweeb

Originally posted by ares
Sorry ares… but you are wrong.

You can IC any type of force induction. Whether it be turbo, roots or centrifugal charger. After all, you are dealing with compressed air. It’s the compression of the air and to some degree the trashing of the air that heats it up. It all comes down to having the space to run the piping from the “charger” to the intake runners in the heads. Most top mounted “chargers” (where the SC is placed in the space between the heads on a V engine) don’t have enough clearance under the hood to put a air-to-air InterCooler below it. That’s why some folks do air-to-liquid IC, but you can always mount the SC on the side, or raise it a bit, then you have the space and freedom to run pipes from the SC to the IC and then back to the heads.

Dweeb

Quick Reply: Had an interesting conversation with someone at Stillen last night.