Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New Clutch Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:34 AM
bigbombula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch Questions?

Hey Guys,

This is my first time posting after several months of browsing this site. I have a question that I hope someone can shed some light on. My stock clutch went out on me at 23,000 miles and I had it replaced with a clutchmasters stage 1 and their aluminum flywheel. When the clutch was first installed about 1 week ago the clutch pedal felt much softer than the stock clutch and the engagement point was very close to the floor. After about 400 miles driven on the new set up the clutch has become much stiffer and the engagement point has moved up quite a bit. Are these ocurrences normal for a new clutch? I am aware that engagement will slowly become higher, but I am worried that the clutch is much stiffer than it should be. Any info would be helpful.

David
Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This is all normal. I had an ACT clutch on my civic and it was 1000 times stiffer than stock. You actually start to like it better....more feel for the engagement point.

I have an ACT clutch in my Z now and it feels damn close to stock. If its any stiffer, I don't really notice it.....my civic clutch was much worse about stiffness....made my left leg huge!! lol.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
bigbombula

I realize that the clutch should be a bit firm. My real question is whether the change in stiffness is normal. When I first got the new clutch installed it was firm but not too stiff. It has become stiff to the point where it is uncomfortable to drive. What would cause pedal pressure to change so drastically over a few days of driving?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Burtron

That can happen and is normal in some cases . . . I had an integra that stiffened over time but not right after it was installed (maybe 4 months after) . . . I would take it back to the mechanic ASAP and have him adjust it.