Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Royal Purple vs Mobil 1... opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried and compared both Mobil 1 and RP motor oils, and the RP beats the Mobil 1 as far as consumption goes, which is the only way that I can measure. For everything else, I will take their word that they meet Nissan requirements.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Dubai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Mobil 1 for the past year and its been great.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
lightner22

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Mobil oils are highly marketed to the point that they're mostly hype IMO. I just don't see much value for the money. You might want to check on bobistheoilguy forums for more info.
My sample of Mobil1 sent to blackstone at 7500 miles showed less wear than the average sample sent at around 4000 miles or so. I'll probably try to go 10,000 on this oil change and send in another sample. That seems worth it to me, but I'm driving 100 miles of mostly highway driving every day so I don't beat on my engine as much as a lot of people.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 PM
r10apple

I've used Royal Purple for the last 4 years on my modded Acura TL-S and this lightly modded G35c. We have a lot of Mustang/Vette guys around here at the local race shops and they all swear by RP. I used Mobil 1 before, and I, too, think RP has less consumption in general, and it seems to actually make the car run smoother. I also think if you feel a power difference in your oils, it's because you drank some of it--any gains would be negligible...
Old 01-26-2007, 08:13 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by r10apple
I also think if you feel a power difference in your oils, it's because you drank some of it--any gains would be negligible...
+1

I've used Mobil 1 for the past 10 years and don't have any complaints whatsoever.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 PM
SpoilsofWar

According to pretty much every test (I've seen) Royal Purple is consistently among the worst oil available as far as synthetics go.

I use Amsoil as they are the only company out there that really goes out of their way to prove that their oil is superior to all others.

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...the-dynometer/

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...il_testing.htm

http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Dyno_test.html

Really though, any synthetic will provide superior protection to a conventional.

Last edited by SpoilsofWar; 01-26-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 PM
thawk408

DO NOT use royal purple. I just used it for the first time and now my engine is being rebuilt because it spun a bearing and alos messed up almost every other bearings. The machine shop said my bearings look like a lubrication problem and they also said that royal purple sucks. They said to use Mobile 1.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 AM
davidf

I'm currently using RP 5W30 with zero issues but have a garage full of Mobil1 0W40 european blend I ran in my VW GTI turbo. Should I have any issues here if I start using the M1. I hate to let it waste.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:00 PM
RBlover69

Man i ran M1 and and RP both are great. Both have a crazy following. But honeslty, mobile 1 changed there formula , and last i heard was minorly inferior to RP now and Amsoil. But amsoil is the best bar none in my opinion goodluck finding a place that has it lol. RP would be my second . M1 is now 3rd. If they had kept there original synth formula they would be my second.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:04 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
According to pretty much every test (I've seen) Royal Purple is consistently among the worst oil available as far as synthetics go.

I use Amsoil as they are the only company out there that really goes out of their way to prove that their oil is superior to all others.

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...the-dynometer/

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...il_testing.htm

http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Dyno_test.html

Really though, any synthetic will provide superior protection to a conventional.
also i wouldnt take to heart what a producer of a product says compared to the competition. lol. Do you think they would say if ones better at all. lol. I love amsoil but cmon, as long as your a group 3 or higher synth your really just talkign science. Its the best but in reality, unless your sponsered by them why spend the money if your not going to reap the benefits like a race team would lol. I go back and forth between m1 and RP but now im probalbly going RP all the way through.

its just like this page( http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html ), whats cool here is that trucks the show did a nice review of RP . And other shows, which arnt sponsered by them , but honeslty its preference as long as its group3 or 4 your good unless you have a completly built block race savvy setup then oil is everything. But the performance per buck per hype never adds up .

Last edited by RBlover69; 01-27-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
derek173

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
All that Matic J is is synthetic blend. As long as you use synthetic, you will be fine, ATF that is.
equivalent.
Using A/T fluid other than NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J or exact equivalent will cause deterioration in driveability and A/T durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

Currently available exact equivalents to NISSAN Genuine ATF Matic Fluid J are Castrol Transmax J or IDEMITSU ATF HP.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 AM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by RBlover69
also i wouldnt take to heart what a producer of a product says compared to the competition. lol. Do you think they would say if ones better at all. lol. I love amsoil but cmon, as long as your a group 3 or higher synth your really just talkign science. Its the best but in reality, unless your sponsered by them why spend the money if your not going to reap the benefits like a race team would lol. I go back and forth between m1 and RP but now im probalbly going RP all the way through.

its just like this page( http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html ), whats cool here is that trucks the show did a nice review of RP . And other shows, which arnt sponsered by them , but honeslty its preference as long as its group3 or 4 your good unless you have a completly built block race savvy setup then oil is everything. But the performance per buck per hype never adds up .
Dude, did you even read your own link? If you did you'll see that was showing RP's gains against MINERAL based oil. Not against other high quality synthetics. Like I said, any synthetic is going to be better then dino bones.

Amsoil has been independently tested against pretty much every well known synthetic out there and has been shown to provide superior protection in nearly all categories. Thats not to say RP, Mobil 1, etc are not good oils, just that Amsoil is better.

And to the guy who said you can't find Amsoil, go to their site and do a search for a local dealer, I bet you theres one closer then you think. Or you can order it online; thats what I do and I get it in 2 days.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Dude, did you even read your own link? If you did you'll see that was showing RP's gains against MINERAL based oil. Not against other high quality synthetics. Like I said, any synthetic is going to be better then dino bones.

Amsoil has been independently tested against pretty much every well known synthetic out there and has been shown to provide superior protection in nearly all categories. Thats not to say RP, Mobil 1, etc are not good oils, just that Amsoil is better.

And to the guy who said you can't find Amsoil, go to their site and do a search for a local dealer, I bet you theres one closer then you think. Or you can order it online; thats what I do and I get it in 2 days.
Whats the price range of the AMSoil change? I could search.. figured i ask you since your online....
Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
RBlover69

Did you read my post, i said amsoil is the best but my link was to show that i wouldnt take to heart the comparisons done from the product makers , amsoil RP, etc all boast to be the best period. That was my point. Amsoil from mechanics and oil test done indenpendently have shown me it was the best. And M1 was my choice for second until they changed the formula to meet new emis standards. Now RP is my second because they havent dithered the product to meet the new standards it already conforms to it. Amsoil fluids in general are bare none the best. But to tell the difference , really its science any group 3 or 4 oil will to the normal daily driver will really be unnoticable.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 AM
lovetoclown

I changed my tranny fluid, rear Nismo diff. fluid and my engine oil over to Royal purple. Couple years now and I have not had any issues. My manual tranny feels smoother and my rear diff. feels great. As for engine oil, sure looks better than the standard oils I used in the begining. I think I will stick to RP.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:08 AM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by RBlover69
But to tell the difference , really its science any group 3 or 4 oil will to the normal daily driver will really be unnoticable.
Agreed!

jonb, Amsoil is about $6-7/quart. If you're going to buy direct and use Amsoil products consistently you're best going with a preferred customer account, then you get dealer pricing on all their stuff. Its only like $25/year or something.

I use Amsoil in my engine, tranny and diff. I also use their Eao 25,000 mile oil filters, and amsoil engine flush.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Axel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Asmoil throughout in ali three of my vehicles.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Agreed!

jonb, Amsoil is about $6-7/quart. If you're going to buy direct and use Amsoil products consistently you're best going with a preferred customer account, then you get dealer pricing on all their stuff. Its only like $25/year or something.

I use Amsoil in my engine, tranny and diff. I also use their Eao 25,000 mile oil filters, and amsoil engine flush.

Because of this thread, I just got my AMSoil change done about an hour ago..... Feels a bit different, smoother... I have been on RP for the last 2 yrs, but AMS was a bit cheaper too.. Not by much though..
Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM
RBlover69

Agreed!

Damn, your a true camper man, lol hey if your do it , might aswell do it right lol. I guess lol. how are there oil filters, i been using the mobile 1 20-25 micron sythetic filters cause there the only ones i can find around here .
Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In past cars I have used RP did not like it. I then used mobil 1 sythetic and it was better. Since I have one FI car and the Z Amsoil has performed flawlessly in hot and cold conditions and with sprited driving. Its worth the extra cash in the long run. Just my 2 cents!

Quick Reply: Royal Purple vs Mobil 1... opinions