MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   jun or jwt or act pro light flywheel? (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/247866-jun-or-jwt-or-act-pro-light-flywheel.html)

drifter23 02-27-2007 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
i went with the act clutch and prolite flywheel =)

If you can please post up a review on your setup. As I am deciding on going with that setup as well. But, might go all JWT.

JDMFairladyZ33 02-28-2007 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by drifter23
If you can please post up a review on your setup. As I am deciding on going with that setup as well. But, might go all JWT.

IF you go with the JWT combo two very apparent characteristics are:

1) Softer than stock clutch pedal
2) ver low engagement point.

Also, I'm having trouble telling the difference with the stronger pressure plate. My car seems to rev faster with the flywheel. It's almost as if I have to drive one gear lower now..for example in the past @ 65 mph I start to hit 5th. Now I stay in 4th until after 75 mph.

goodkd 03-04-2007 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by miamimax96
They also make steel flywheels, but according to them there's generally no weight savings.

JUN, ACT, and tilton are the only flywheels made from chromoly that i know of. If you want to use a convential diameter chromoly clutch/flywheel combo, JUN is the only choice.

BTW, JWT/fidanza = damn near identical. Some even say the JWT is a rebadged fidanza, and i believe it.

"If you want to use a convential diameter chromoly clutch/flywheel combo, JUN is the only choice."

Can someone explain to me what is meant by this? Going ACT requires changing somethign else becuase its a non-conventional diameter? What are the reasons to stay with a conventional diameter flywheel? :confused:

nismology1 03-04-2007 10:18 AM

My mistake. I was under the impression that the ACT flywheels had a smaller diameter like the tilton.

zodiac 03-08-2007 05:32 AM

I'm having the ACT street clutch and prolite flywheel installed as we speak. I should be getting my car back today (hopefully). The shop said that they were having issues with the release bearing, and that ACT said that it is not uncommon to have that issue. I'll post some reviews after I have it back.
I hear that I will have to learn how to drive my car all over again with this new setup. Let the love affair get stronger LOL.

Any comments/experiences with the ACT release bearing?

MIAPLAYA 03-08-2007 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by zodiac
I'm having the ACT street clutch and prolite flywheel installed as we speak. I should be getting my car back today (hopefully). The shop said that they were having issues with the release bearing, and that ACT said that it is not uncommon to have that issue. I'll post some reviews after I have it back.
I hear that I will have to learn how to drive my car all over again with this new setup. Let the love affair get stronger LOL.

Any comments/experiences with the ACT release bearing?

Never had an issue with mine...

Tayzzer22 03-08-2007 07:35 AM

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the drive!

zodiac 03-08-2007 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Never had an issue with mine...

The shop owner said that the release bearing wasn't releasing all the way.
Haven't talked to em this morning, but am hoping for a call soon.
I'll post up when I get it back.

goodkd 03-08-2007 10:10 AM

The shop owner said that the release bearing wasn't releasing all the way.
Haven't talked to em this morning, but am hoping for a call soon.
I'll post up when I get it back.

Hope it all goes well. Looking forward to your review.

zodiac 03-08-2007 10:24 AM

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph" (Irish accent)
This is Unreal. I picked it up an hour ago, and this clutch is sweet!
Shifts are more solid, it revs like a motorcycle (immediate response), and accelerates quite a bit faster. I'll post a real review once I put about 500 miles on it. I want to break it in properly before putting the needle to 3 O'Clock. Alternative Motorsports in OKC did a rockin' job at an even more rockin' price. If you live in this area, THAT is where I would take it.

Tayzzer22 03-08-2007 10:33 AM

Zodiac, sounds like some fun driving! Can't wait for the review.. please include chatter noise level (bothersome, barely noticable or non-existant?) and how stiff the clutch is (stiffer than OEM?)

Thanks and congrats!

MIAPLAYA 03-08-2007 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tayzzer22
Zodiac, sounds like some fun driving! Can't wait for the review.. please include chatter noise level (bothersome, barely noticable or non-existant?) and how stiff the clutch is (stiffer than OEM?)

Thanks and congrats!

not sure if you are interested in my experience but clutch stiffnes for me was slightly stiffer then OEM but not unbearable. A week after install it felt perfectly normal. i had a JWT flywheel on my car so I won't even get into that but every car I've driven with all ACT (as opposed to my ACT/JWT) have been as quiet or quieter then stock in regards to chatter.

zodiac 03-08-2007 11:50 AM

I DID listen for chatter when I first got in it and pulled out o the parking lot. ( I had heard things like the JWT sounds like a dump truck LOL)
I didn't hear ANY. Before the change my clutch sounded like a hand full of quarters in a dryer set to tumble...OK not that bad, but chattery as hell.
I'll keep an ear on it, but as far as clutch stiffness....much more stiff, but as miaplaya said, not unbearable at all.

97supratt 03-08-2007 11:58 AM

I ordered my ACT Clutch and prolite flywheel today. I'm gonna try to install it by next weekend and try it out.

This thread was awesome, a lot of informative information.

zodiac 03-08-2007 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 97supratt
I ordered my ACT Clutch and prolite flywheel today. I'm gonna try to install it by next weekend and try it out.

This thread was awesome, a lot of informative information.

Did you get in on Candady350z's deal?

He saved me a fair bit of money.

goodkd 03-08-2007 03:16 PM

Please elaborate.....

97supratt 03-08-2007 05:56 PM

No I have a deal of my own. :icon44:

Tayzzer22 03-08-2007 09:55 PM

Damn you guys! You're making me want to spend more money! Hahhaa.. thanks for the feedback! I might have to PM someone to see what kind of deal you guys are getting..

Thanks again!

goodkd 03-10-2007 10:01 AM

Ouch - dealer just quoted me $840 to install the ACT clutch and flywheel. I was not expecting it to be that high. Is it reasonable?

Frequency 3.5.0 12-08-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by goodkd (Post 3429064)
Ouch - dealer just quoted me $840 to install the ACT clutch and flywheel. I was not expecting it to be that high. Is it reasonable?

in their point of view yes, I've been quoted $1k for the same thing... they are not called stealership for nothing