Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which aftermarket LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 AM
fairtex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which aftermarket LSD?

I have a base model, looking to throw on an aftermarket LSD sometime soon. I'm looking for best bang for buck, with a decent budget in mind. I have heard that the carbonetics LSD is good, but I haven't seen any pricing on it, but it is carbon which probably means it's pricy.

Which one would you guys recommend?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Jeff@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

The forum members will have some great advice on this, but if you decide to go NISMO, we are having a sale for $826. It will come with everything you need for the conversion. Jeff
Old 02-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Yup, NISMO is definitely the best way to go for the base model. It comes with all the stub axles and everything else you need for the install. The NISMO unit is great but it is very aggressive and you will want to run friction modifier or MOTUL 90Pa to tone it down. Another alternative is the CUSCO RS. It is great for daily driving, no obnoxious clunking, no excess noise and you can run synthetic fluid without the extra additives like the NISMO unit needs to tone it down. Both diffs are great but for the street, CUSCO is your best bet.

We are running a special on the CUSCO diffs and if you need the replacement parts for your install, we have a kit for it to so you get all the replacement parts. PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
SOCAL350

So which of you guys will drop one in mine for the cheapest?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
deviljon

i picked up the nismo for my base from west covina nissan...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:06 PM
streetracer

how come nobody has mentioned the Quaife?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:29 PM
deviljon

hey streetracer how do you like the 3.9 fd? im getting that put in with my nismo lsd soon. and is that nismo diff cover worth it? im thinking about just getting that while im at it..
Old 02-26-2007, 05:19 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetracer
how come nobody has mentioned the Quaife?
+1 to that. That's what I'm looking in to at the moment. Seems to be the best sure thing all around.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
fairtex

i'm a noob to drivetrain specifics, what exactly is this fluid you guys speak of? aftermarket differential fluid? is this a complete replacement of the oem fluid?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Quaife is a great unit for a street driven car, drops in, and is silent

the Carbonetics is not particularly pricey all things considered, but it needs other parts in order for it to be installed into a base model. That makes the price go up. If you're just driving the car on the street, the Carbonetics is overkill IMHO.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM
fairtex

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the Quaife is a great unit for a street driven car, drops in, and is silent

the Carbonetics is not particularly pricey all things considered, but it needs other parts in order for it to be installed into a base model. That makes the price go up. If you're just driving the car on the street, the Carbonetics is overkill IMHO.
yeah i'm just driving on the street. every now and then i'll hit the drag strip or track, maybe 3-4 times a year.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:46 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by deviljon
hey streetracer how do you like the 3.9 fd? im getting that put in with my nismo lsd soon. and is that nismo diff cover worth it? im thinking about just getting that while im at it..
The cover provides cooling. Its a completely functional piece. You have to be careful raising the car because mechanics can break the fins.

As far as the 3.9 fd, I love it. I first was like Takumi when he first drove the 86 with the formula atlantic motor that Bunta put it that reved to 11k rpm. I was like wtf, I just messed up my car getting crazy with this whole differential thing. Well, funny thing has been happening; I'm falling in love for this thing. The car revs like a mad dog now. I did all my bolt-ons all at once so the review I'm giving could also be based on some other mod not ralated to the FD. But I can honestly tell you the car's personality will change dramatically.

Be prepared to:
1- hear some noise from the LSD as in humming. changing FD is not really an exact thing so it never gets to be noiseless. Unless of course you are willing to drop the pumpkin a few times to adjust which will be $$$.

2- Change gears more often. A lot more often. My 4th droped from 116mph to 104 and my third from 90 to 82.

3- In the 0.25 mile I have to shift to 5th gear which causes time loss. I think if I change somehow my rev limiter fuel cut I can cross it in fourth and not loose time.

4- Have a car that feels like a race car. I had the base model with open diff. when I put in my Quaife, 3.9, and some aluminum kit that replaces the pumpkin exterior bushings for aluminum rings, I've literally crossed to the dark side. I mean, its noisy, the LSD clicks and clacks, the gears are always ready on a high rpm, etc. Whole new ball game.

5- Freeway driving will suffer as well as milage. 65 cruise is about at 2700 rpm.

Subjectively, I love the car now. But the car is really hardcore. Obviously the Injen SES true dual with the alphawerks TP help with the overall loudness. Driving around town the car is faster, period. However, I will tell you this, I live in Puerto Rico where the streets are narrow and the highways short. A 3.9 FD can be handy. I have been to the states on numerous occasions and the street layout is vastly different. I don't think for the US a 3.9 is that useful since highways are longer, flatter, better pavimented, broader, etc. So think about it and only do it if are prepared for the dark side.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 AM
deviljon

thanks for the info. just to make sure, that finned diff cover is this right? http://phase2motorsports.stores.yaho...iladico35.html
Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 AM
streetracer

Yes, thats the one.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the nismo LSD I have I think creates a little oversteer by causing some traction to be lost in the rear in mid turn for fast sweeping corners. But on tighter corners, you have so much more control over the stock LSD. It's easy to get the car pointed in the direction you want and get back on the gas.

It's also made a noticable improvement with forward straight line traction. The car doesn't fishtail and get as sideways. It's a little more composed and more of an instant response

It does make clunking noises at slow parking lot turns when the car is cold. I've had people ask me if something is broken when they'd drive it - like a body shop for instance who don't know anything about LSD's. Generally though there's no noise with redline oil and friction modifier. Someday when I go back to the 3.5 final drive from my 3.9, I'll switch to a carbonetics LSD

Last edited by sentry65; 02-27-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

funny how 2 people who use to work together (jeff & andy) are now going head to head
Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

hehe....the Nismo LSD is very very noisy and clunky. Some of my customers have had lucking using Motul 90PA fluid, to quiet them down a bit.

The Nismo is the least expensive, but grabby and noisy.

For a base model, you can do a Quiafe for $1450 and it also drops in without modifications. Totally silent, and great performance on the street.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yep on a street car, I'd def go with the Quiafe and call it a day - it is well worth the momey over the NISMO on a primarily street driven car.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
hehe....the Nismo LSD is very very noisy and clunky. Some of my customers have had lucking using Motul 90PA fluid, to quiet them down a bit.

The Nismo is the least expensive, but grabby and noisy.

For a base model, you can do a Quiafe for $1450 and it also drops in without modifications. Totally silent, and great performance on the street.

Does nismo lsd always have clicking noise too? I know i get alot of clacking and it doesnt worry me. But the clicking worries me because of the TSB put out on the Z. I just dont want my axle to need service and Im neglecting it because I think its the LSD. TIA

BTW Nismo clacks loud as a mother****er! Everyone who has ridden in my car thinks the drive shaft is breaking and I just laugh internally........
Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
streetracer

here's a pic of my car with the nismo cover.
Attached Thumbnails Which aftermarket LSD?-hpim1606.jpg  

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket LSD?