Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Spark Plug... abt 10hp increase

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 04:29 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to specualte without facts so I will stick to what I know and have seen.

My 02 Z28 came with some cheap Delco plugs. We pulled them out and replaced them with NGK55's. The increase was track noticable mainly because the stock plugs were gapped all over the place! Plus more spark is always good but 2RWHP no way!
Maybe 1mph on your ET (for 2 bucks each and do it yourself that is not a bad mod for THAT car.) 16 bucks for maybe half a tenth and 1mph. Those are facts I can back up.

A very common mod (above) for LS1 engines.

But.....

Someone already stated here that the stock plugs on our Z's are already NGK's so before everyone runs out and spends 180 bucks let me say they the plugs you have are fine and changing them will result in nothing noticable. If this were to be considered at least put some seriuos miles on them first ya know?

Foul them run them into the ground whatever.

The only reason I would consider yanking the stock NGK's is for Turbo or Nitrous setups. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:51 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but your nsx is a 1994, when was the last that they were changed? and what were they changed with? did it have platinum plugs before? and were they 6 months old?
Old 04-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Ben Davis

Originally posted by ares
but your nsx is a 1994, when was the last that they were changed? and what were they changed with? did it have platinum plugs before? and were they 6 months old?
really though, plugs can add like 2-300 hp in theory, if your old plugs consisted of custom bent paperclips!?!?!?

I doubt that we will see any real gains with just plugs and for 180 it is too big a risk for me especially when COUNTLESS others have shown NO gains, most people who see "gains" (typically on the butt dyno mind you) are changin 3-4 year old plugs...

Ben
Old 04-15-2003, 07:36 PM
zogan

Originally posted by jesseenglish
Really, that's amazing. I'll throw out $180 for a set of plugs!

Seriously dude, are you just trying to stir up a flame war. The only way this would be possible is if you had really sh!tty fouled plugs in your car and replaced them with new ones or if the plugs you have in your car are not correct. Oh, and another thing, it'd be much easier to take you seriously it didn't take 10 minutes to translate what you're trying to say because of all the acronyms/shortcuts. It only takes an extra minute or so to sound credible.

Sorry for the vent, but this is one of my pet peeves.
y is that 1 of your PP,
Old 04-16-2003, 03:16 PM
jesseenglish

Originally posted by zogan
y is that 1 of your PP,
LOL, dat waz a good 1
Old 04-16-2003, 03:22 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jesseenglish
LOL, dat waz a good 1
All right dammit, thats about enough with the internet shorthand/ebonics!
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug... abt 10hp increase-english.jpg  
Old 04-16-2003, 04:27 PM
TampaBayNSX-R

My NSX is a 1994 but it benefits from a very consistent maintenance routine as I track it about 6-8 times per year. In fact, I leave on Friday evening for Sebring International Raceway. The NSX gets fresh Mobil1 10w-30 every 1,000 miles, on average, and I always keep the plugs fresh...especially since adding the blower. The gain I saw was going from a fresh set of "conventional" plugs to the HKS iridium plugs. Again, this is one observation from one application. The actual potential in the Z is really unkown...until someone actually takes the plunge. Any volunteers? Come on, you know you want to be the first on your block! Just another thought...the grounding kits are about $85 shipped and add about 2hp. That's about $21/hp. In my case the HKS plugs ran me $150 and added 7hp...or about $21/hp. So, you see, the $ to power ratio is something that many on this forum have already been willing to do...this is just another way to do it. So, the question remains...."Who's going to be the guinea pig?"
Old 04-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Ben Davis

[i]the grounding kits are about $85 shipped and add about 2hp. That's about $21/hp. In my case the HKS plugs ran me $150 and added 7hp...or about $21/hp. So, you see, the $ to power ratio is something that many on this forum have already been willing to do...this is just another way to do it. So, the question remains...."Who's going to be the guinea pig?" [/B]
85/2 = 42

how does that work out to 21 dollars per hp?!?!?

Ben
Old 04-16-2003, 06:54 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grounding kits add nothing. and I built mine, if I could build my own spark plugs, even for the same cost, I would consider it. modifying a car is a hobby to me, I take pleasure in doing the work, which means I will do useless mods if they give me something to do.

spark plugs do not give me anything to do.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Heat

Originally posted by krinkov
All right dammit, thats about enough with the internet shorthand/ebonics!

Old 04-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Jason

Default Iridium Plugs

Alright. Iridium is used in spark plugs for only one reason - longevity. The harder iridium can usually run for 120,000 miles. The plugs themselves, often fire cooler than their platinum counterparts, which really isn't that big of an issue.

Any statement that iridium spark plugs add horsepower is pure marketing tripe.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:14 AM
TampaBayNSX-R

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ben Davis
[B]85/2 = 42

how does that work out to 21 dollars per hp?!?!?

(Forehead slap) Obviously my brain is fried at the end of tax season! Yes, it's $42.50/hp for the grounding wire gains which is double that of the iridium plugs in my above example. Now granted the plugs don't have any "bling" factor under the hood like the wires but if we're talking about the cost of enhancing the car's performance the plugs are reasonable. If the Z gained 3.5hp from the plug upgrade it would have the same ratio of money spent to power gained as the grounding wires. Now that I've cleared that up I'm going to go practice my ABC's!