Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question about cams for vq35

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:45 PM
VQ35deMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about cams for vq35

Well I am a newbie to this site and I did search about putting cams into a vq35 but I still have some questions to ask. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Alright I am looking for cams for a non revup vq35. There are alot of different options available to me from gtm cams to nismo cams to jwt cams. I am not going to be doign anything to the bottom end like pistons or rings and etc. However I will raise the rev limiter. Now what do you guys suggest for an all motor vq35 as far as cams go? Also what about the valve train? Thanks for helping me out.

Vasiliy
Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 PM
VQ35deMax

nobody at all?
Old 06-02-2007, 04:43 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The labor involved in putting in a set of cams and the expense of the cams makes cams a waste of money. Without pulling the heads and porting combined with larger valves, and an expensive valvetrain there really aren't any real gains to be had. That's why no one does it.

JET
Old 06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i know quit a few people that have done it actually...

20+whp gain n/a... i dunno where you came with the no gains to be have.
Ive personally seen an N/A Zs here in az with cams(all stillen on exhaust system, md spacer, , pulleys, utec, pop charger) do 296 with no bs correction.

Car was going 258 before utec , with utec tuned it ran 275, 296 witht he cams + retune...
This were jwt cams
Old 06-02-2007, 05:28 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no dynos to prove it, but I have JWT cams and can definitely feel a significant difference in midrange and topend power. When i test drove a new '07 Z, it felt slow and sluggish compared to my '03 Z with only K&N drop-in air filter, cams, 2.5" test pipes (stock exhaust), and stock ECU.

If you're raising the rev limiter, buy the JWT springs and shim set along with whatever cams you end up going with. It's only a couple hundred bucks.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:09 PM
VQ35deMax

Well you see this vq35 is goign to be going into a maxima not a 350z. Installation is not going to be a problem for me either. I am just asking for suggestions for which cams to use and if i should upgrade anything else while it is torn apart. I know I am not going to be replacing the heads cause that is way out of my price range. My goal is to hit 300hp at the wheels in the maxima with bolt ons.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Changvi

Originally Posted by VQ35deMax
Well you see this vq35 is goign to be going into a maxima not a 350z. Installation is not going to be a problem for me either. I am just asking for suggestions for which cams to use and if i should upgrade anything else while it is torn apart. I know I am not going to be replacing the heads cause that is way out of my price range. My goal is to hit 300hp at the wheels in the maxima with bolt ons.

I'm sorry, but this engine belongs in a Z, not a Maxima.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:14 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII

Ive personally seen an N/A Zs here in az with cams(all stillen on exhaust system, md spacer, , pulleys, utec, pop charger) do 296 with no bs correction.

Car was going 258 before utec , with utec tuned it ran 275, 296 witht he cams + retune...
This were jwt cams
20whp..... Wow!!!! That's totally worth it then!

JET
Old 06-02-2007, 08:22 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This were jwt cams

Nice. Do you know what they ran in the quarter with that? Are the cams they running make the idle change any? thanks.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here you go...

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
We are very pleased to annouce the results for our GTM Spec N/A and Turbo cams. These cams were introduced back in november (See thread here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....gt+motorsports) since then we have sold/installed appox. 30 sets. Some of these cams went to distributors, some to customers, and some to projects that we have been working on in house. We felt that the only way to REALLY know that gains is to have the cams installed on selected cars that were ONLY getting the cams installed and nothing else, Then dyno the vehicles before and after. so we can really see the effect of the cams, and also seek the customers opinions after they receive their car since they knew the car before more than anybody else. Now defiently having a dyno graph is proof but also confirming what we are seeing on the dyno with the driver input is a home run.

Test Car #1 - Twin Turbocharged Engine
Vehicle background before GTM camshaft installation:
(jeff 350z) vehicle is equipped with APS Twin Turbo, APS exhaust, Stage 1 GTM shortblock, Stage 1 GTM heads, Nismo R-Tune cams, F Con V Pro running 14 psi. All work and tuning was done by GTM.

Dyno graph below shows dyno #34 with the above specs:

BEFORE:

Car came in to upgrade/install APS exteme fuel system and GTM camshafts with a retune for the new fuel system, No other mods were done to the car

AFTER:

Before and After overlay:

Dyno Conclusion:
Our GTM Spec cams are designed for great midrange and noticable improvement across the board, and have done a very good job at accomplishing that as shown above. Hopefully Jeff will be chiming in soon to give us his input.

Test Car #2 - Supercharged Engine

Vehicle Background:
Before camshaft installation (eric 350z mt ) vehicle is equpped with a complete Vortec kit, nismo exhaust, Plenum spacer and stock cats engine is stock (stock compression)

BEFORE:
This dyno#4 done 2/9/05 represents base line only NO tuning was preformed by GTM, Eric brought his car to us to strickly do a baseline dyno to see what his car was doing at the time. VORTEC STOCK BOOST

AFTER 1:

This dyno below was done with the GTM Stage 1 block, 8.5:1 compression GTM stage 0 heads, and GTM N/A cams with NO tuning preformed VORTEC STOCK BOOST. Eric came back for these upgrades because he had an engine failure, besides the upgrades listed up above the car still has the same exhaust, the same spacer, the same fuel system, same split second, same tune, and same pulley. With this dynograph below we still have NOT touched the car as far a tuning goes(same tune as dyno sheet above)

AFTER 2:

After the engine was broken in, this dyno was done with the 2.87 pulley, upgraded injectors, @11 PSI of boost, factory cats, walbro 255, fuel return system, with GTM tuning the split second box
:

Below is a Dyno graph overlay of this car with the 3 graphs, Blue is the car with no tune out of the box Vortec kit installed. Red is the car with the camshafts with out tuning, and the green is the car with everything tuned and ready to go!

Overlay:

Conclusion:
This vehicle showed signifact improvement, to be honest we did not even expect this much improvement with just cams. A few points I would like to make clear, granted the vehicle had a set of fresh heads with a valve job the lower compression on the engine should have really reduced power instead of gaining so much, which really shows these cams are working very well.

Test Car #3 - Naturally Aspirated Engine

Vehicle background before camshaft installation (Mark G35 Coupe A/T) vehicle is equipped with GReddy SP2 exhaust, OEM cats, Motordyne 1/2 Plenum Spacer, AEM Cold air intake, Unorthodox Pulleys, no tuning was done on the dyno shown below.

BEFORE:

AFTER 1:

Installed GTM Spec N/A Cams, HKS Hi-Power exhaust, still stock cats and NO tuning:

After 2:

Installed GTM Spec N/A Cams, HKS Hi-Power exhaust, still stock cats, and install and tune HKS F-Con IS:

Conclusion:
Car felt great on test drive, Mark was very happy and felt a differeance instantly hopefully he can chime in and share his thoughts.

Last edited by GTM; 06-02-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
20whp..... Wow!!!! That's totally worth it then!

JET

hahah aif you are just tring to get him to go Fi you can pick on that lil peace of info only man...really narrow minded....this guy already said he wants to stay N/a

it happens that is a lot of hp n/a
ANd when you did all other mods, that is whats left for u to do n/a

Nice post GTM..i liek the las one showing 19 whp gain

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-03-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:06 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
Nice. Do you know what they ran in the quarter with that? Are the cams they running make the idle change any? thanks.

iddle was raised 100rpms i think.
he only did time attacks..he didnt drag race it
Old 06-03-2007, 08:07 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Changvi

nah...its fine... i liek that people are doing VQ swaps, shows that they are startin gto apreciate the power of the Z engine, a couple more years of reserach and engine will be for high whp applications(1000+)
Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 AM
nismology1

Pretty ignorant position considering that A) The VQ originated in the maxima and B) Non-revup DE's are internally identical to the engines you can find in the maxima/altima/murano/quest etc.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 AM
nismology1

nah...its fine... i liek that people are doing VQ swaps, shows that they are startin gto apreciate the power of the Z engine, a couple more years of reserach and engine will be for high whp applications(1000+)
Maxima guys swap other maxima or altima 3.5's. No need to go through the trouble of swapping in a RWD engine considering it's identical where it matters.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 AM
VQ35deMax

Go study up on the history of the vq35 and see which car it appeared in first and it wasnt the 350z.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 AM
VQ35deMax

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Here you go...
And how do the nismo r-tune and s1 and s2 cams comapre to the n/a gt motorsports cams?

20whp is enough to get me to 300hp at the wheels.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Changvi

Originally Posted by miamimax96
Pretty ignorant position considering that A) The VQ originated in the maxima and B) Non-revup DE's are internally identical to the engines you can find in the maxima/altima/murano/quest etc.
Yes, the layout is the same, but internal and drivetrain are different.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Changvi

Originally Posted by VQ35deMax
Go study up on the history of the vq35 and see which car it appeared in first and it wasnt the 350z.
Read my post. Layout might be the same, but drivetrain and internals are different. If you really want to go fast then buy a Z.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:12 PM
nismology1

Yes, the layout is the same, but internal and drivetrain are different.
I might be relatively new to this site, but I've been a VQ fan since 1994. Trust me when I say that non-revup 350Z motors are identical internally to maxima/altima motors. Compared part numbers for everything. Yes even the cams are the same. Been there done that.

Bottom line is, you need to get off of your high horse.

Last edited by nismology1; 06-03-2007 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about cams for vq35