Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Royal Purple vs. Amsoil...From Amsoil Rep

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:31 PM
steelerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple vs. Amsoil...From Amsoil Rep

I have a 06 with a bit of an oil consumption problem. I'm using RP 5W-30 and I was curious if Amsoil is known to be any better for consumption, so I asked my local Amsoil rep about it. He sent the following email. Quite a bit more information than I was looking for, but he said a lot of things about RP that I had never heard. Is this BS from a biased rep or is there some truth to it?

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is
something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended
drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when
used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing
Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a
spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate.
This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil
left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity
index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negative effects on your engine.

AMSOIL has been dyno tested against Royal Purple, in a issue of Fast Fours & Rotaries magazine. Click here to see the results.

Although it's not a tremendous difference, it is factually proven that you
burn less oil with amsoil as compared to royal purple. Your car would use
the EAO12 filter, and 5 quarts of SAE 5W-30 amsoil. I would recommend that
you get 6 quarts as burnoff is going to happen slowly either way. However
your filter will last for a year regaurdless of burnoff. Depending on the
mileage, I would recommend that you use an amsoil engine flush to help
prepare the seals, and clean out the remaining moly particles from the royal
purple. If you are a performance nut, we also offer, the P.I. fuel injector
cleaner, and the power foam to clean your intake out from the injectors, to
the muffler. They're all good products, but it's your choice which you
would prefer to be used in your car. I've broken the items down seperately
so you can pick and choose what you would prefer to install.

EAO12 1yr. filter $17.07
6 qts. SAE 5W-30 oil $46.59
AEF Engine Flush $5.82
Power Foam cleaner $5.51
P.I. fuel additive $9.31

All listed prices are after tax. I would be willing to deliver whatever you
should choose to install myself. I would always be happy to make another
loyal amsoil customer. I can have the oil to you as soon as you should
decide have it installed. If you would like to discuss any amsoil products,
or have further questions, you can reach me on my cell phone @ 412-452-2471.
Thank you,

Michael Horstmann
Ironhorselubrication@hotmail.coim
Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sounds like it was given by amsoil maybe they have a form letter for each type?

and he is charging you 7.75/qt for that stuff? that is really high... 6.00 - 6.50 is a better price. if you feel comfortable using a filter for a year, then the filter is a good deal. I use wix filters.

I had good experiences with Amsoil and alot of guys I know run and recommend it. I KNOW one person who had oil consumption issues with the Amsoil so he switched (Ernie) to RP and it stopped in his 06. I personally am not impressed by RP.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:40 PM
350Z84

Very interesting.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, Amsoil makes a great oil. But their 5W-30 has Moly in it, so I don't know why he said differently. Check this link out for the lowdown on Moly:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html

Check this link out for the lowdown on oils in the VQ:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

hope that helps answer your questions,
Will
Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 PM
tomtom

i use amsoil 0W30 2000 series (for racing) on my 07 350z so far so good.
n i also use it on my evo8, nothing problem with it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:43 AM
turismo

Ill stay with RP. Been using it for years, without a problem!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This articles is very true about RP. Many tests have shown it have more wear on engines. www.bobistheoilguy.com to read a ton of tests and reviews and learn more about oils.

RP is not that good at all. It's like that intake tornado. It sells because of all the hype in the racing world with the ricers, but it really doesn't protect your engine. If you want a good oil, you go with REdline, Amsoil, Penzoil Platnum, or Mobil 1 (which isn't that good anymore in tests).

Please do not trust people on here that use RP and say yea its the best. Go by what the tests show on the site above I linked you and do your own research, you will see its not that good.

Originally Posted by steelerz
I have a 06 with a bit of an oil consumption problem. I'm using RP 5W-30 and I was curious if Amsoil is known to be any better for consumption, so I asked my local Amsoil rep about it. He sent the following email. Quite a bit more information than I was looking for, but he said a lot of things about RP that I had never heard. Is this BS from a biased rep or is there some truth to it?

As you may know, RP is big in racing circles. The chemistry they use is
something we choose not to use. One of our big selling points is extended
drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when
used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Moly in their oil. Moly is a solid, specifically banned by Cummins, due to excessive valve train wear.

Moly (Molybdenum Disulfide) is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. This can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on RP involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing
Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a
spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate.
This compares to TRO with a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the TRO left a .41mm scar and the RP oil
left a .66mm scar. There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity
index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

This information was provided by AMSOIL Tech Department. They had an independent lab test Royal Purple against AMSOIL. The results are posted above. They have found Moly in Royal Purple. As stated above, this can have negative effects on your engine.

AMSOIL has been dyno tested against Royal Purple, in a issue of Fast Fours & Rotaries magazine. Click here to see the results.

Although it's not a tremendous difference, it is factually proven that you
burn less oil with amsoil as compared to royal purple. Your car would use
the EAO12 filter, and 5 quarts of SAE 5W-30 amsoil. I would recommend that
you get 6 quarts as burnoff is going to happen slowly either way. However
your filter will last for a year regaurdless of burnoff. Depending on the
mileage, I would recommend that you use an amsoil engine flush to help
prepare the seals, and clean out the remaining moly particles from the royal
purple. If you are a performance nut, we also offer, the P.I. fuel injector
cleaner, and the power foam to clean your intake out from the injectors, to
the muffler. They're all good products, but it's your choice which you
would prefer to be used in your car. I've broken the items down seperately
so you can pick and choose what you would prefer to install.

EAO12 1yr. filter $17.07
6 qts. SAE 5W-30 oil $46.59
AEF Engine Flush $5.82
Power Foam cleaner $5.51
P.I. fuel additive $9.31

All listed prices are after tax. I would be willing to deliver whatever you
should choose to install myself. I would always be happy to make another
loyal amsoil customer. I can have the oil to you as soon as you should
decide have it installed. If you would like to discuss any amsoil products,
or have further questions, you can reach me on my cell phone @ 412-452-2471.
Thank you,

Michael Horstmann
Ironhorselubrication@hotmail.coim
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
IP05G35

If your car is burning oil I would suggest using Amsoil ATM 10w-30, Amsoil Euro 5w-40, Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 or Mobil 1 0w-40 or Redline 10w-30. Moly is not bad for your engine, Amsoil uses it in their new formulas. Don't contact Amsoil dealers for Amsoil questions, contact the official Amsoil tech department on their website.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:28 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Discussing oil with an Amsoil rep is like discussing religion with a Scientologist - one sided and relatively cultish.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:38 PM
FairladyZ06

I just started using RP for this first time, so far so good. I will be switching to Amsoil next oil change and monitor oil consumption. So far I havent burnt a noticeable amount of oil but will monitor it either way. I'm using the PureOne filter and it seems to be working well. After reading some threads and researching online, RP does seem to burn off more easily than Amsoil, but I dont run my car hard and nor do I have F.I. so I decided to try it. One of the questions I have about Molybdenum Disulfide... is that bad for the VQ engine because of the Molybdenum coated parts we have in it? or is it equally bad on any motor?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:50 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

good thread, very enlightening
Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM
ROSELL0522

As far as the price goes for amsoil the rep didn't tell you that you can go online and get info to become a distributor. Yes you pay a one time fee but save A LOT more money in the long run especially if you get together and buy it as a group. Or you can get it changed locally with someone and on the extended version(15000mi) they will change the filter after 7500mi as part of the oil change(cost me $65 with action gator/goodyear). I run amsoil in all three of my vehicles this way and I'm in the process of changing the other fluids over like transmission. Except for the Z after three years I've had no problems yet. They send you a biased test with the distribution info and yes mobil 1 is second.. So most of what he said is true but get the info for free yourself online.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here is the bottom line

06's have oil consumption problems - period. If you use a thicker, not thinner oil, it will get better, but the overal problem is an internal one, and not the result of using 1 brand of oil vs another.

Try switching to the next thickest viscosity, in the oil of your choice, and going another oil change cycle, and see if the consumption changes. If it doesn't, you're recourse will be through Nissan

Oil is very cultist and VERY elitest......especially on the "oil forum" (which I've visited from time to time). For every guy who says "brand x oil/filter sucks", you'll find guys who says "I use it and have no problems" (counteless examples are abound). Reason? Simple - cars are machines. As such, no two come out exactly the same, and ownership experience from performance to maintenance will vary unit to unit. That is what happens on any mass produced mechanical item. Who do I listen to? The guy who BUILT my motor. I use what he tells me to, and it tends to vary on every motor build I do with him, based on the specs of the motor.

Nissan does not specifically recommend any oil.....from brand, to dino to synthetic. Their tolerances in the bottom end are VERY tight and stringent from the factory, making it work with a wide variety of oils. Stick to their recommended viscosity, use any name brand oil and filter, and you'll be fine.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Discussing oil with an Amsoil rep is like discussing religion with a Scientologist - one sided and relatively cultish.
OMG. I actually laughed out loud on this! So true! :-)

I'm currently running Amsoil 0w30 + Amsoil filter in my '06... So far it's doing great.

My oil consumption is about 1qt / 4k miles.

Last edited by gothchick; 06-04-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
here is the bottom line

06's have oil consumption problems - period. If you use a thicker, not thinner oil, it will get better, but the overal problem is an internal one, and not the result of using 1 brand of oil vs another.

Try switching to the next thickest viscosity, in the oil of your choice, and going another oil change cycle, and see if the consumption changes. If it doesn't, you're recourse will be through Nissan

Oil is very cultist and VERY elitest......especially on the "oil forum" (which I've visited from time to time). For every guy who says "brand x oil/filter sucks", you'll find guys who says "I use it and have no problems" (counteless examples are abound). Reason? Simple - cars are machines. As such, no two come out exactly the same, and ownership experience from performance to maintenance will vary unit to unit. That is what happens on any mass produced mechanical item. Who do I listen to? The guy who BUILT my motor. I use what he tells me to, and it tends to vary on every motor build I do with him, based on the specs of the motor.

Nissan does not specifically recommend any oil.....from brand, to dino to synthetic. Their tolerances in the bottom end are VERY tight and stringent from the factory, making it work with a wide variety of oils. Stick to their recommended viscosity, use any name brand oil and filter, and you'll be fine.
+1 Oil is oil. As long as you keep to the recomended viscosities, use a reputable oil company, and don't go adding "special" additives, your engine will be great. Like above said, try the next thickest oil, and if that doesn't improve the problem, then maybe see what nissan can do.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 AM
nothingremains

i read that website and all i hear is blah blah blah
Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by nothingremains
i read that website and all i hear is blah blah blah
So you are saying you can't comprehend simple discussions on oil...
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
nothingremains

nope sure cant