Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

bullet proof 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redman333
Is there a such thing as bullet proof trannies. I'm sure any tranny can be destoyed.

Oh and that thread that bigbri did compared side by side the two trannies, ours and the getrag. All the gears looked beafier in the nissan tranny. Now compared to american trannies, I don't know.

Hey skeet96707 what exactly are you running that would need a stronger tranny. By the way Sam at GTMotorsports was designing something for our transmissions to make them stronger. Might want to check with them.
The gears are fine, the syncros in my opinion are still crap in our trannies though.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM
skeet96707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm rebuilding trans soon= syncros, cluth, flywheel, etc. Just wanted to put parts on that wouldn't crap out in the future. thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:53 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

As far as I know gears have never been the issue, its always been the syncros and shift forks (for Nissan trannies as well as Toyota). Ultra light weight flywheels and clutch packs will help with syncros but shift forks are still a problem
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 AM
trinityracing

Stock Z tranny's suck..
Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blasian
BriGuyMax actually has a good thread about our transmissions.
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/246117-professional-analysis-and-pictures-of-our-6mt-internals.html

Most of you guys are right on but there are a couple people in here that are VERY misinformed.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nissan trannys seem to be pretty good, but their syncros FTL
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by trinityracing
Stock Z tranny's suck..
Great post
Old 07-20-2007, 07:25 AM
redman333

Originally Posted by trinityracing
Stock Z tranny's suck..
Great contribution, you've helped us all.
The following users liked this post:
Suitsandboots (11-08-2019)
Old 07-20-2007, 07:28 AM
redman333

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246117

Most of you guys are right on but there are a couple people in here that are VERY misinformed.
Thanks for the find, I thought it was bigbir that had the thread. Had part of the name correct tho.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 PM
warmmilk

i don't know why everyone is in such denial, how many people on here have had there tranny replaced do to ****ty syncros? i had mine replaced at 2k, my coworker had his replaced at 4k, how is that "one of the best tranny's in the world"

i know all of u are saying its only the syncro's, but guess what, thats part of the tranny to, a bullit proof tranny means no weak spots. nothing, like the supra getrag tranny, there is a bullit proof tranny for you. the only time i've heard of those breaking is when someone put in the wrong tranny fluid (the supra tranny's tend to be very picky about that). and there are lots of people running 700+ whp without issues, and quite a few at 1000+ whp without issue, ryan woon has hundreds of 9 and 8 sec passes on his stock 6 spd. and the first issue i heard of with 350z's when i started researching to buy one is the tranny's are crap.

****ty synco's will keep u from shifting fast, if u cant shift fast, in my book thats a ****ty tranny

i'll repeat the op's question. does anyone have a bullit proof tranny for the z?

one option i could think if is to make an adaptor plate for a supra tranny and swap in one of those
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM
skeet96707

Originally Posted by warmmilk
i don't know why everyone is in such denial, how many people on here have had there tranny replaced do to ****ty syncros? i had mine replaced at 2k, my coworker had his replaced at 4k, how is that "one of the best tranny's in the world"

i know all of u are saying its only the syncro's, but guess what, thats part of the tranny to, a bullit proof tranny means no weak spots. nothing, like the supra getrag tranny, there is a bullit proof tranny for you. the only time i've heard of those breaking is when someone put in the wrong tranny fluid (the supra tranny's tend to be very picky about that). and there are lots of people running 700+ whp without issues, and quite a few at 1000+ whp without issue, ryan woon has hundreds of 9 and 8 sec passes on his stock 6 spd. and the first issue i heard of with 350z's when i started researching to buy one is the tranny's are crap.

****ty synco's will keep u from shifting fast, if u cant shift fast, in my book thats a ****ty tranny

i'll repeat the op's question. does anyone have a bullit proof tranny for the z?

one option i could think if is to make an adaptor plate for a supra tranny and swap in one of those
All hail the great one
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redman333
Is there a such thing as bullet proof trannies. I'm sure any tranny can be destoyed.

Oh and that thread that bigbri did compared side by side the two trannies, ours and the getrag. All the gears looked beafier in the nissan tranny. Now compared to american trannies, I don't know.

Hey skeet96707 what exactly are you running that would need a stronger tranny. By the way Sam at GTMotorsports was designing something for our transmissions to make them stronger. Might want to check with them.
+1
Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk

This forum hates hearing the word "supra". You might as well drop the argument, they will come at you with full force. lol

One car was engineered with brute force in mind and the other was engineered for mild hp/road racing so the transmission and differential will be different. The supra rear end is also bulletproof I might add. Okay enough supra a$$ kissing, Z's rule.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:37 PM
MustGoFastR

Check with SGP in Houston; I seem to recall them doing fully built trannies.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:18 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

on my third tranny..same failure on #1 and #2..the 3rd counter gear needs to be beam welded (or a good tig welding) to prevent the gear from seperating...if you are worried about a synchro issue, get a 009 version, disassemble, fix the third counter gear, reassemble, and there you go!
TODD
Old 07-21-2007, 12:05 PM
DSport G35

Holinger sequential
Old 07-21-2007, 01:56 PM
skeet96707

thanks everyone
Old 07-22-2007, 02:04 PM
TeckniX

Sorry to bring this back up, but I can't seem to find the post about the different synchros between the years and also what versions had what.

Anyone know what i'm talking about? - it was a list about synchros and the parts needed to 'upgrade' your current tranny to the newest and slightly stronger synchros.

350zDCalb: Any pictures of the weld you're talking about? I can't picture how welding rotating gears helps...
Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by TeckniX
350zDCalb: Any pictures of the weld you're talking about? I can't picture how welding rotating gears helps...
this pic demonstrates the seperation of the engagement section of 3rd countergear, it should be one piece, and now it is two..the gear needs to be pressed off and then welded...from the outer side, perfect spot for a bead

here's the gear removed:

place weld here:

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 07-22-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:52 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by 97supratt
This forum hates hearing the word "supra". You might as well drop the argument, they will come at you with full force. lol

One car was engineered with brute force in mind and the other was engineered for mild hp/road racing so the transmission and differential will be different. The supra rear end is also bulletproof I might add. Okay enough supra a$$ kissing, Z's rule.

hey i got skeet96707 to agree with me, but that kinda of sounds like sarcasm, or maybe it wasn't, not sure.

but anyway, there have been a couple cases of where the supra rear end was broken (on a 1300+whp full weight 6 spd 8 sec drag car), so i didn't go out and claim that it was bulletproof, but i can't remember anytime the tranny went out on one of those.

btw, i think that ur post prevented a full frontal attack on me just cause u said it was gonna happen and everyone just decided to ignore it. i just remembered about this thread a couple mins ago and was expecting to come and recieve a flamethrower at my face as soon as i clicked on the thread

thanks to the few that actually posted something usefull, instead of just being in denial about the z having a great tranny

Last edited by warmmilk; 07-22-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: bullet proof 6 speed