Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New Clutch and Flywheel Installed Humming at 4K RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:09 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have 43K miles on the Z. 1000 of these miles with the new Clutch setup.

No the clutch was not installed by myself, it was done by my mechanic very well known in the hood!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 AM
RedBullRR

Originally Posted by frizille
I got the same chatter/whine @ 4k. Clutchmasters stage 4 w/ 14lb fly. Curious as to why as well (but it sounds cool).
Could you post a vid, to hear this noise?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
frizille

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Could you post a vid, to hear this noise?
Yeah, but its hard to hear. I can experiment with my new vid cam this weekend.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM
frizille

Stock VLSD. Everything other then the Intake/Clutch/Flywheel is stock.

I have noticed my belts need to be replaced sooner then later. But would this cause that wine?
I just had my belts replaced and the whine is still there (for what its worth).
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 AM
RedBullRR

Interesting... Doesn't seem to be harming the car, I'd just like a clear understanding why its doing it.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Zfan808

Hey, how's it going everybody. I haven't been able to purchase a lightweight flywheel and clutch for my HR yet, because as far as I know, there are none available, so I don't have any experience with the Z as far as those mods go.

But my previous car was a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. When I had that car, I purchased an Unorthodox Racing 8 pound flywheel and had a shop install it, however with the factory clutch. I thought that it would've revved a lot faster for an 8 pound flywheel, but I'm assuming the rest of the clutch assembly must be changed as well for the best benefit.

Anyhow, after it was installed and I drove it home, I noticed that with the clutch out, and the stick in neutral, I could hear a rattling sound at idle. The rattling would go away when I revved the engine, or kept the revs above idle. However, when the clutch pedal was down while the car was at idle, the rattling would go away. The rattling noise wasn't too bad, but if I was at a stop light with the stick in neutral and I had the A/C on, I guess the RPMs were in the right area to make a louder rattling sound.

The second thing I noticed was that if I was driving the car and the revs were anywhere under 2000 RPM, the whole car would have this high resonance vibration, as if I were bogging the engine at RPMs too low, except for 1st and 2nd gear. I assumed it was because there wasn't enough inertia from the lightweight flywheel at those RPMs, especially in a 1.8 liter engine.

I went to a local speed shop and inquired about the whole thing. They told me that the stock flywheel was a dual mass flywheel (like the Z has), and it's heavy weight was meant to soak up a lot of the vibration and noise, along with allowing people (who don't know how to heel/toe shift) to still drive smoothly and have an easier time starting off from a stop. Once the dual mass flywheel is gone, all of the engine/transmission noise will be heard. The rattle at idle is prefectly normal for a car with lightweight flywheels. Depending on the make of the flywheel or the combination of which flywheel and clutch set up you are using will also affect how much of this "chatter" everyone is experiencing. As for the resonance below 2000 RPM while driving, I found that the car felt it had the same amount of torque, as Audi's factory turbo creates a flat torque curve from just off of idle, but the resonance sound initially gave me the impression that the car was working harder, even though it wasn't. To fix that noise problem, I simply kept the revs over 2000 RPM while driving.

Sorry to have made this so long winded, but IMO, the humming sound you hear above 4000 RPM could just be the way that your Z resonates, and if it is a sound due to your flywheel, I think it'll be there to stay. By all means, make checks to be sure it isn't something else first. I didn't want to get to far off the subject as I know this is a "Z" forum, but that was "MY" lightweight flywheel experience, so I though I'd share it with all of you who were wondering about strange noises from the flywheel.

Hope I didn't bore you all to death, and I hope this information helps a bit.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 AM
frizille

Originally Posted by Zfan808
Hey, how's it going everybody. I haven't been able to purchase a lightweight flywheel and clutch for my HR yet, because as far as I know, there are none available, so I don't have any experience with the Z as far as those mods go.

But my previous car was a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. When I had that car, I purchased an Unorthodox Racing 8 pound flywheel and had a shop install it, however with the factory clutch. I thought that it would've revved a lot faster for an 8 pound flywheel, but I'm assuming the rest of the clutch assembly must be changed as well for the best benefit.

Anyhow, after it was installed and I drove it home, I noticed that with the clutch out, and the stick in neutral, I could hear a rattling sound at idle. The rattling would go away when I revved the engine, or kept the revs above idle. However, when the clutch pedal was down while the car was at idle, the rattling would go away. The rattling noise wasn't too bad, but if I was at a stop light with the stick in neutral and I had the A/C on, I guess the RPMs were in the right area to make a louder rattling sound.

The second thing I noticed was that if I was driving the car and the revs were anywhere under 2000 RPM, the whole car would have this high resonance vibration, as if I were bogging the engine at RPMs too low, except for 1st and 2nd gear. I assumed it was because there wasn't enough inertia from the lightweight flywheel at those RPMs, especially in a 1.8 liter engine.

I went to a local speed shop and inquired about the whole thing. They told me that the stock flywheel was a dual mass flywheel (like the Z has), and it's heavy weight was meant to soak up a lot of the vibration and noise, along with allowing people (who don't know how to heel/toe shift) to still drive smoothly and have an easier time starting off from a stop. Once the dual mass flywheel is gone, all of the engine/transmission noise will be heard. The rattle at idle is prefectly normal for a car with lightweight flywheels. Depending on the make of the flywheel or the combination of which flywheel and clutch set up you are using will also affect how much of this "chatter" everyone is experiencing. As for the resonance below 2000 RPM while driving, I found that the car felt it had the same amount of torque, as Audi's factory turbo creates a flat torque curve from just off of idle, but the resonance sound initially gave me the impression that the car was working harder, even though it wasn't. To fix that noise problem, I simply kept the revs over 2000 RPM while driving.

Sorry to have made this so long winded, but IMO, the humming sound you hear above 4000 RPM could just be the way that your Z resonates, and if it is a sound due to your flywheel, I think it'll be there to stay. By all means, make checks to be sure it isn't something else first. I didn't want to get to far off the subject as I know this is a "Z" forum, but that was "MY" lightweight flywheel experience, so I though I'd share it with all of you who were wondering about strange noises from the flywheel.

Hope I didn't bore you all to death, and I hope this information helps a bit.
Thanks for the post. I'm thinking along the same lines. The noise doesn't bother me at all, actually makes me smile a bit, I just want to make sure it's not something catastrophic that's gonna make me go "ohhh... ****... so that's what that noise was" in 10k miles when the transmission drops off the bottom of the car or something equally as horrific.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 AM
RedBullRR

The Chatter I understand, but it isnt loud enough to annoy the **** out of me. Posted some vids to show what I mean. However I did notice that after some hard spirited driving the chatter does get louder. (I suppose once all the oils heat up enough). The humming sound is were I'm confused though. It sounds good, it def doesnt sound stock. Its wierd because it only happens at certain RPM levels, and only when Im punching it.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 PM
frizille

Got a vid done this morning. Around 3 minutes it gets REALLY loud and was able to hold it there by keeping the RPM's steady as I got onto the expressway. Moment I got on the throttle more it went a lot quieter and you can't hear it over the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gM7rIAkYBk

Ideas?

I wonder what a glazed flywheel sounds like ....?

Last edited by frizille; 01-13-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
mikez97

needs to be balanced if it wasnt already
Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM
frizille

Originally Posted by mikez97
needs to be balanced if it wasnt already
I assume they did that at the dealer when they installed the fly/clutch/CD009 tranny replacement. What would knock it out of alignment (assuming it was done)?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:29 PM
06MagneticZ

ZFan808 is absolutely right. Everything he experienced inhis Audi is exactly what my Z does with the JWT flywheel and Nismo clutch. From the chatter that comes and goes with the a/c, clutch pedal, idle to the resonance/vibration at certain low rpm's. No need to worry, its normal.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 AM
RedBullRR

Got a vid done this morning. Around 3 minutes it gets REALLY loud and was able to hold it there by keeping the RPM's steady as I got onto the expressway. Moment I got on the throttle more it went a lot quieter and you can't hear it over the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gM7rIAkYBk

Ideas?

I wonder what a glazed flywheel sounds like ....?
Rite at the same RPM here. Dam thought I was going crazy or something. Hey the exhaust you have there sounds pretty sweet.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 PM
frizille

Rite at the same RPM here. Dam thought I was going crazy or something. Hey the exhaust you have there sounds pretty sweet.
Thanks - It's the Fast Intentions Intimidator exhaust w/ a pair of UTR resonated test pipes.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:36 AM
RedBullRR

Nice setup how much does that go far?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
frizille

Nice setup how much does that go far?
I got it couple years ago as part of the GB deal they had. I think it was around $1200. The TP's were in the $300 range.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 AM
mdracer76
Banned

I hear the JWT is the loudest. Witch is why I steered away. I went with the Exedy because they make the clutch for JWT JWT just puts there name on it. As for the flywheel I went with the Streetlite vs the prolitet, probably the quitest of them all from what I read.

To be honest I was expecting chatter. But I didnt get what people reported. I do have this humming sound that sounds good, just not sure if it should.
You sir, have never heard a full competition Tilton then

I have the 8lb clutch, and 8lb flywheel, and it sounds like 2 smurfs wearing studded leather jackets having a knife fight in a coffee can.

but I can also out rev. a sport bike

http://youtube.com/watch?v=teEQtG4wiNE

Last edited by mdracer76; 02-26-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
RedBullRR

^ LOL, I bet theres a big difference in that 8LB clutch and flywheel.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
frizille

I had the car over at Forged last week to have Sharif look at my fluctuating RPM gauge problem (bad instrument cluster) and he checked on the humming noise too. What it appears to be is gear whine from the diff and not the tranny. Only thing to do is replace the diff once the gears finally give out.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the car over at Forged last week to have Sharif look at my fluctuating RPM gauge problem (bad instrument cluster) and he checked on the humming noise too. What it appears to be is gear whine from the diff and not the tranny. Only thing to do is replace the diff once the gears finally give out.
ahhh my old 91 mustang made the same noise after i got 3.73 gears installed.

Quick Reply: New Clutch and Flywheel Installed Humming at 4K RPM