Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I think I'm getting robbed....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Realistically, the HFC will pretty much finish you up. Not really a lot of power to be made NA without spending an inordinate amount of money. Start working on suspension.

Oh, an I really wouldn't waste the time or money replacing with Megan's unless you run into a problem with them. Headers may very well be the least hp/$ because of the high cost to install, or absolute pain you'll go through DIY.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want more horsepower find a different dyno.

Last edited by davidv; 01-17-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:32 AM
06MagneticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 06' dyno'd at 277whp and 263 tq over at Motordyne. This was with Nismo catback, pop charger, 5/16 iso spacer and mrev2.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 AM
nismo240r

Elevation plays a big role in dynos, our cars here in Alberta will dyno much less than guys on the coast in the US. . .
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 AM
ke0ki2k

259 whp with Nismo cams in the engine + full boltons? get a tune, jesus christ lol. so much powa to be released young grasshoppa!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 AM
SniperHunter

I still think it's his mods. But that's just my opinion, like I said.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
ke0ki2k

definately not, its just the conditions on the dyno and what kind/how theyre using the dyno. I mean his boltons are kinda crappy ones, they dont produce much power but he has a revup engine...300 horsepower, loose 15% through the tranny. thats in a perfect world, but even in real world conditions a revup should never dyno under 240 even in hot, humid air.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
iStan
ZR

I'm slightly confused, the OP is Not a revup. Who are you talking about?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 AM
ke0ki2k

"free up some horsepower on my 06 350Z." - quote from OP...
Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 AM
iStan
ZR

He's a 5AT though, so non revup
Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 AM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
259 whp with Nismo cams in the engine + full boltons? get a tune, jesus christ lol. so much powa to be released young grasshoppa!
LOL, I know a tune would have done wonders for me, but I didn't dyno until I started my full build anyway. It will be a totally different car when it returns!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by istan
He's a 5AT though, so non revup

....touche..lol didnt see that

Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
SniperHunter

203TQ on a 287DE is just awful, funny dyno or not.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George350Zss
Well I have a short list of bolt-ons that I was hoping would free up some horsepower on my 06 350Z. But everytime I open a car enthusiast magazine with a g35 or a 350Z as a project car there numbers are much higher than mine with less mods. Should I get a retune when my Z is only pushing 223.5 whp and 203.3 wtq ?
Hey George,

Post up your dyno graph if you can. Would be nice to see where you A/F is.

Later
Todd
Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given your set of circumstances (auto, stock cats, non revup, dyno dynamics, California), I don't think the car is putting out significantly lower power than one would reasonably expect.

first thing I would do, before spending another dime, is ask the dyno owner what a stock Z puts down on that dyno - preferably an 03-05, and if they have any info regarding automatics, all the better. Or try posting this request in your local forum from others who might have used this same dyno and see how you stack up

Second, you do not need a true dual exhaust....if you want it, that's cool, but it's not going to do anything that your current setup. In the world of the NA Z, a Y pipe + catback combo will yield extremely similar results to a true dual. As Kevin said, comes down largely to looks/sound. There is no "best" or "worst" when it comes to exhausts on these cars when they are NA....it's user preference largely.

Third, was your flash done on your car or as a mailorder? Any dyno/datalogs you might have received so we can see what the ecu is doing?

Fourth - test pipes or cats. These should wake the car up a bit. I can't say it's going to totally set the world on fire, but you should definitely notice a nice bump across the power band with the addition of either. Test pipes will be significantly louder, car will smell, but ultimately make more power. Ceramic High flow cats will be quieter than test pipes, car won't smell and you'll still get power gains. Metal substrate cats will be just a tick quieter than test pipes, car won't smell, and you'll make just about the same power as a full on test pipe. Again, budget will determine whats right for you (test pipes are cheapest, ceramic cats next, metal cats are most expensive).

Headers - I don't know a thing about your particular units and most headers on these cars do very little without the addition of cams.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-17-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Given your set of circumstances (auto, stock cats, non revup, dyno dynamics, California), I don't think the car is putting out significantly lower power than one would reasonably expect.

first thing I would do, before spending another dime, is ask the dyno owner what a stock Z puts down on that dyno - preferably an 03-05, and if they have any info regarding automatics, all the better. Or try posting this request in your local forum from others who might have used this same dyno and see how you stack up

Second, you do not need a true dual exhaust....if you want it, that's cool, but it's not going to do anything that your current setup. In the world of the NA Z, a Y pipe + catback combo will yield extremely similar results to a true dual. As Kevin said, comes down largely to looks/sound. There is no "best" or "worst" when it comes to exhausts on these cars when they are NA....it's user preference largely.

Third, was your flash done on your car or as a mailorder? Any dyno/datalogs you might have received so we can see what the ecu is doing?

Fourth - test pipes or cats. These should wake the car up a bit. I can't say it's going to totally set the world on fire, but you should definitely notice a nice bump across the power band with the addition of either. Test pipes will be significantly louder, car will smell, but ultimately make more power. Ceramic High flow cats will be quieter than test pipes, car won't smell and you'll still get power gains. Metal substrate cats will be just a tick quieter than test pipes, car won't smell, and you'll make just about the same power as a full on test pipe. Again, budget will determine whats right for you (test pipes are cheapest, ceramic cats next, metal cats are most expensive).

Headers - I don't know a thing about your particular units and most headers on these cars do very little without the addition of cams.

Get ready for a horrible plug (I'm a *****, I know, I know...):

I have Nismo cams if you want them! They were on my car for about 15k miles. I'll take a reasonable offer.