Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Code P1273 and dealership woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P1273 and dealership woes

So a little over a month ago i had a SES light come on (my first owning the Z after 35k miles) and had it read as a P1273 "Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1". Took the car in and they initially diagnosed it as a bad O2 sensor; this sensor in question being in bank 1 before the catalyst. I have the 2005 service manual for the Z, and basically a P1273 is a lean condition in this bank, with such possible causes as bad O2 sensor, MAF sensor, intake leaks, exhaust leaks, fuel injectors or fuel injector pressure. Anyway they replace the sensor and i drive it around for the next day, noticing now that i am getting horrible gas mileage (12 city 16 hwy) and a stronger exhaust smell when at idle. Behold the SES light comes back on with the same code so i take her back in to re-diagnose.

They tell me this time the new O2 that was installed was faulty, so they order another one and a few days later i take it back to have this changed. I drive the car for a few days, noticing a bit better gas mileage and less smell, but alas the same SES light appears and a P1273 shows up.

Now at this point im getting extremely annoyed having to take my car back to the dealer every week, and honestly dont have much trust in their fully diagnosing of this problem, nor do i think they know what they are doing. I just dont buy the fact that every new O2 sensor thats installed goes bad within 2 days. The service tech told me they checked the other possibilities like fuel pressure, MAF sensor and whatnot but all was well. I'm just not sure what to do at this point... i take my car to this dealer because its the closest one in about 30 miles (only 5 miles from my house) so its not a huge hassle for drop off's or pickups. But my confidence in them is severely waning at this point.

Basically has anyone had to deal with this P1273 code before or can point me in a right direction to diagnosing it? The last thing i would like to do is leave my car at the dealer for 2 weeks while they rip it apart and put a hundred "test miles" on it to figure something out. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Corradoslc7

There is no way that two new O2 sensors are faulty, this dealership sounds like they are out of ideas. Time to take it to another dealer to have them really check it out for the other possible causes. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
THE_SCHROED

Ever figure out what it was?