Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

400hp with just a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 11:43 PM
red ink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400hp with just a turbo?

Can these cars make 400hp with just a turbo? Im a mustang guy but my car is getting old and i need a new car. If a 350 cant, whats it take? Intake manifold, head work, cams, and exaust, and a turbo? What do these kind of mods cost? Basicly i wanna know if its expense if to mod these cars?
Old 06-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 400hp with just a turbo?

Originally posted by red ink
Can these cars make 400hp with just a turbo? Im a mustang guy but my car is getting old and i need a new car. If a 350 cant, whats it take? Intake manifold, head work, cams, and exaust, and a turbo? What do these kind of mods cost? Basicly i wanna know if its expense if to mod these cars?
The 350Z is making 420/430 RWHP easily. You want to know if it is expensive to mod a 350Z? I am going to assume that's what you mean, the turbo kit should be about 5,6,or 7grand, depending on what company, where you buy it, what turbo's etc. Right now mods for the 350Z are expensive, but soon they will start getting cheaper. What year Stang did you have?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:15 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

coming off a domestic everything is gonna sound expensive, but its not as bad as a german car.
much further after 400hp and the engine needs new rods, so technically you can make it about a 400hp car with bolt ons.
and yes most of the turbo prototype Zs just ahve turbo and exhaust and around the 420 area, greddy is shooting for 400 street and smog legal.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:15 AM
D_Nyholm

It seems that a reliable 400 crank HP can be made easily. As far as 400 Rwhp, that is going to be a little harder. The ATI SC makes about 340 or so RWHP at 7 psi and the Stillen makes 340 CRANK hp at 5 psi.

Top Secret has a turbo hit that isn't out yet that has been at 400+ whp but they have gone through 3 engines during testing.

(all the numbers here are just what I remember, nothing that is cold hard facts, if you search you will find better info)
Old 06-19-2003, 02:32 PM
red ink

I have a 95 cobra right now. Its pretty sweet and is decent speedwise. I did a rearend change with 3.73's,i have An o/r exhaust, lowering springs and a few air/fuel add ons. I love her, but shes getting old.

A few more questions about the z...How are the computers from the factory? Do they have many restrictions on the cars, or are they putting down close to what they are capable of? Do people do head swaps, and camshaft stuff (pushrods)? Or are they SOHC? DOHC? IM pretty damn smart about mods for the stang, but all i know about nissan performance is nismo. Should i be looking at there stuff for performance mods? thanks guys
Old 06-19-2003, 02:36 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

DOHC
there are ECU upgrades available, just search for posts by chesbosto hes with a company that hacked the ecu.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Loren04G35

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
coming off a domestic everything is gonna sound expensive, but its not as bad as a german car.
much further after 400hp and the engine needs new rods, so technically you can make it about a 400hp car with bolt ons.
and yes most of the turbo prototype Zs just ahve turbo and exhaust and around the 420 area, greddy is shooting for 400 street and smog legal.
First, the ATI made 369 rwhp or about 424 hp at the flywheel. Stillen made 308 rwhp or about 354 hp at the flywheel. I have a contact inside Greddy. With the intercooled twin 18G's, they put down 393 rwhp at 7 psi. At 10 psi, it is over 440 rwhp. The bad thing is around 470 hp the engine comes apart (I am assuming that was at the wheels). I don't have any specifics on the failure, but it must be either the pistons or the rods. VQ cranks are forged pieces and are pretty strong from the factory. The pistons can do a decent job, but if it detonates they will go easily. I have seen dime-sized holes in the ring groves on a VQ30 that detonated. The rods are very thin and I have also seen an NA Maxima bend a VQ 30 rod. In fact, they aren't even an inch wide. With the ATI kit, headers and an exhaust you would be close to 400 rwhp at just 7 psi. With the turbo kit it is easy to turn up the boost, so it could be risky going to high. The same goes if changing pulleys on the ATI kit. So it is fine to bolt-on as long you are sensible about it.