Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

"GT Spec vs Cosworth"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys it hard to tell if these things are leaking if your not running high boost and pumping some kind of liquid thur them. Just to give you guys a update. I had Sharif do one run @ 15psi on meth so I can take a pic of where its leaking to take with me to Cosworth on Tuesday (I am hand delivering this thing this time) and with this thing still leaking i made 564 on the DD @15psi before i took it off.

Right now I am at 554 @ 15.5 psi (close to the 600whp on a DJ) with power ALL THE WAY TO 7300K RPM!!!! Yes with the Crawford!! We turned up the boost but the intake pipes keeps comming off so we are putting bigger beeds on the pipe soo 570 @ 18.9psi on the DD dyno with the pipe popping off around 6K on meth.

We are going all out on meth and pump (what we are working right now) and then 110 and meth all out (I would like to go up to 22 or 23 psi).

I hope we get everything done today becuase my wife is going to kill me for ditching her on V day
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been suggested that a vac guage be used on my setup to check for fluctuations to ascertain whether any leaks are present. Thoughts eagle?

btw--Hope Cosworth comes through for you bro.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
It has been suggested that a vac guage be used on my setup to check for fluctuations to ascertain whether any leaks are present. Thoughts eagle?

btw--Hope Cosworth comes through for you bro.

Well I go the 1/4 strip and pay 10 buck to check for my leaks the 1/4 track dont lie. Tell them No! you dont need one! Save your self some money, your not going to run more than 15psi and if you go higher you wont run it at that boost level all the time, No one does. Dyno number are for bragging rights! No one has a street car with 700hp with track time (at least that I know of)?

Luie
Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
I had Sharif do one run @ 15psi on meth so I can take a pic of where its leaking to take with me to Cosworth on Tuesday

wouldn't it be easier to spray the mating surfaces around the endcaps with a soap-n-water mixture. then, perform a dyno pull and see where the air is leaking out? The soapy water will start making bubbles wherever an air leak is present.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
a little birdie told it me it may be happening shortly
I'll believe it when I see it. I've asked about the CF one for the G more than a year ago, and still nothing.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Guys it hard to tell if these things are leaking if your not running high boost and pumping some kind of liquid thur them. Just to give you guys a update. I had Sharif do one run @ 15psi on meth so I can take a pic of where its leaking to take with me to Cosworth on Tuesday (I am hand delivering this thing this time) and with this thing still leaking i made 564 on the DD @15psi before i took it off.

Right now I am at 554 @ 15.5 psi (close to the 600whp on a DJ) with power ALL THE WAY TO 7300K RPM!!!! Yes with the Crawford!! We turned up the boost but the intake pipes keeps comming off so we are putting bigger beeds on the pipe soo 570 @ 18.9psi on the DD dyno with the pipe popping off around 6K on meth.

We are going all out on meth and pump (what we are working right now) and then 110 and meth all out (I would like to go up to 22 or 23 psi).

I hope we get everything done today becuase my wife is going to kill me for ditching her on V day
See I knew there was more to it. Its the high amount of boost you're running. While it still suck for you it shoudn't be a "large" concern for poeple running low boost. Lets say less than 10lbs.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by QuadCam
wouldn't it be easier to spray the mating surfaces around the endcaps with a soap-n-water mixture. then, perform a dyno pull and see where the air is leaking out? The soapy water will start making bubbles wherever an air leak is present.

That would work also!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Robert_K
See I knew there was more to it. Its the high amount of boost you're running. While it still suck for you it shoudn't be a "large" concern for poeple running low boost. Lets say less than 10lbs.
So your saying $1100 for a plenum thats hold 10psi is cool but cant handle 25 psi is ok?? This thing claims to hold 30psi! If your buying this plenum for less than 10psi your wasting your $$$$ but to each their own.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
Looks good .... but I would have to see it tested on the track to buy it... does not look like it can withstand high g's.
Do you even road race your car? I never understood mindsets like this. A STB is a STB, IMO none is STRONGER than factory, although having a lighter, much better looking bar is nice, fo rmost a difference cant be felt between this and stock. You act like its gonna break in 1/2 because it look weak?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Read that agin, he makes power to 7300rpm's with a good old trusty Crawford plenum, not the overhyped, fanboi Cosworth. I dont beleive the hype on this thing at all, and hearing Luie's experiences hasnt helped.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

So your saying $1100 for a plenum thats hold 10psi is cool but cant handle 25 psi is ok?? This thing claims to hold 30psi! If your buying this plenum for less than 10psi your wasting your $$$$ but to each their own.
Guess that came out wrong. I totally agree it should hold what it claims. But "I" feel you are getting everyone worried about one plenum that is having problems. I've just accepted that not everything mass produce is going to be perfect. Sadly, you were the one that received the bad one made.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Luie-arent you on the 2nd Cosworth leaking?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Alberto
Read that agin, he makes power to 7300rpm's with a good old trusty Crawford plenum, not the overhyped, fanboi Cosworth. I dont beleive the hype on this thing at all, and hearing Luie's experiences hasnt helped.
Yes I understand that he's using his Crawford. However I'm sure he is running the same amount of boost through the Cosworth.

Edit: And let not forget how many others are using the Cosworth with low & high boost w/o any problems. I just feel that this issue to pertaining to one plenum.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Yes I understand that he's using his Crawford. However I'm sure he is running the same amount of boost through the Cosworth.

Edit: And let not forget how many others are using the Cosworth with low & high boost w/o any problems. I just feel that this issue to pertaining to one plenum.
Crawford pulls to 7300rpm's w/no leak, Id keep it. Luie has a beast powerband from 4500-7300-thats sick

Cosworth leaks. I believe he had it "fixed" or replaced. Then Cosworth #2 leaks at a "measly 15psi. I also know of one other guy who had issues but he didndt post about it. Regardless of what other shops say, thats 2 bad plenums to one customer in Luie alone. No thanks I'll pass....obviously its not one problem, and Cosworth's QC isnt what we all thought/expected.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Motormouth
Banned

and how many people have recieved and installed the cosworth yet? I really didn't think it was more than a handful...

number of units shipped vs number of units with problems = what percentage.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Somebody with common sense
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Alberto
Crawford pulls to 7300rpm's w/no leak, Id keep it. Luie has a beast powerband from 4500-7300-thats sick

Cosworth leaks. I believe he had it "fixed" or replaced. Then Cosworth #2 leaks at a "measly 15psi. I also know of one other guy who had issues but he didndt post about it. Regardless of what other shops say, thats 2 bad plenums to one customer in Luie alone. No thanks I'll pass....obviously its not one problem, and Cosworth's QC isnt what we all thought/expected.

Yes berto!
This is the "2nd" Cosworth!! The Crawford is impressing me for sure this time around. Cosworth is getting me a "brand new" plenum when I get it it will be for sale. Crawford for the win!!! This plenum has never let me down, JKenefic is making 650rwp with this plenum. The only thing I care about is making good power! I would rather have 650hp car making hard power for 2K rpms to redline, than a power curve that make 850hp thats looks like a a upside down "V".
IMO this Cosworth plenum failed (for $1100)! I have to worry about this thing leaking in time? phuc that!!

Crawford FTW!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 AM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I'd tend to agree that I don't think the cosworth is worth the money at all. If people are suddenly THAT concerned with high rpm power, then they should look into getting the SFR coffin manifold or encourage Charles@CJM to start producing the manifold he was designing

otherwise, just get a larger turbo and/or more aggressive cam
Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah I'd tend to agree that I don't think the cosworth is worth the money at all. If people are suddenly THAT concerned with high rpm power, then they should look into getting the SFR coffin manifold or encourage Charles@CJM to start producing the manifold he was designing

Nicely puy!
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by sentry65

my sentiments exactly. I really don't see a big difference in terms of performance gains for the money over the SSV that is bashed non-stop on the forums.

Quick Reply: "GT Spec vs Cosworth"