Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Opening spark plug gap to .049 improves power... it is very noticeable.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:38 AM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested but you can't feel a 2HP increase.

I'm always game for free mods though.

Anyone know what the stock gao of the one degree colder NGK from Nissan is?

Spark plugs with large side electrodes (ground straps) or spark plugs with split side electrodes are not recommended, they interfere with the flame front at the point of ignition
A-Friggen Man to that brother!

ZEX THE HEX N20 Company cost me $120.00 in one month in plugs that fouled from that triple electrode crap.

Oh and they are too cheap to ship me 35HP jets for my troubles.

ZEX sucks Good thread.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:16 AM
J Ritt

Take it easy on McDan...I understand completely what he's getting at...just a little frustrating to see everyone around here making ridiculous claims, like inventing the spoon, or getting 10hp from spark plugs. The fact of the matter is, if you want to believe this, then believe it. The problem is, that 50% of the members on this board don't know much about their car(s)...they get their hopes up that something like spark plugs will turn their car into a monster...then, when that doesn't happen, they get pissed and post hateful letters to manufacturers...it's pretty funny to watch the 'next big thing' come down the pipeline, and watch everyone get worked up about it, particularly if you are scientifically minded...you want evidence. On one hand, it's frustrating to just sit by and watch everyone follow along, and I think this is what McDan is feeling. I often feel the same way. The fact of the matter however, is that this is a discussion board, and this is discussion. You are free to pick and choose what and who you believe.
Personally, I'd be willing to bet my pinky finger that spark plugs will not add 10 whp to the Z...but, it definitely could have some secondary or tertiary effects on how the car runs. Hey, to each his own. Believe what you want, and good things come from discussion.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:32 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am just watching here. Small question :

Somebody mentioned the grounding kit. Since we are taking spark plugs, electrical system, and now grounding kit, it might be interesting to know if the GK has any effect on this situation.

So, if you do re-gap, please let us know if you have a grounding kit installed or not.

Just curious...

Re: the whole other argument, I think if people say "I did this and this is what I FEEL", then others should take it with a grain of salt. I just followed the whole thread to learn.

Ah, another question : why are people changing their plugs at 7K miles?? Again, just curious...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:11 AM
kgb

Default I am not responsible for anybody's frustration.

Originally posted by J Ritt
Take it easy on McDan...I understand completely what he's getting at...just a little frustrating to see everyone around here making ridiculous claims, like inventing the spoon, or getting 10hp from spark plugs. The fact of the matter is, if you want to believe this, then believe it. The problem is, that 50% of the members on this board don't know much about their car(s)...they get their hopes up that something like spark plugs will turn their car into a monster...then, when that doesn't happen, they get pissed and post hateful letters to manufacturers...it's pretty funny to watch the 'next big thing' come down the pipeline, and watch everyone get worked up about it, particularly if you are scientifically minded...you want evidence. On one hand, it's frustrating to just sit by and watch everyone follow along, and I think this is what McDan is feeling. I often feel the same way. The fact of the matter however, is that this is a discussion board, and this is discussion. You are free to pick and choose what and who you believe.
Personally, I'd be willing to bet my pinky finger that spark plugs will not add 10 whp to the Z...but, it definitely could have some secondary or tertiary effects on how the car runs. Hey, to each his own. Believe what you want, and good things come from discussion.
Look. I posted MY experience, and I will continue to post them. Ultimately, it's up to the reader to determine if its content has any merit. Frustration is not an excuse for being obnoxious.

OC_350Z will be replacing his plugs, I'm sure he'll share his findings.

Let's all try and keep this thread focused on its intent.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:17 AM
kgb

Originally posted by EnthusiastZ
What plugs did you install, OEM or different?

OEM plugs.

"whats the stock gap? 8-10 whp seems too much....."

The stock gap is .044 in.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:56 AM
12SecZ

Ah, another question : why are people changing their plugs at 7K miles?? Again, just curious...
I went one heat range colder (NGK's from my Nissan Dealer) for my Nitrous Setup.

I still say that if your butt meter can feel 2hp it could be in your head.

McDan and others (especially McDan because of the nightmare he went through and me with my ZEX plugs nightMARE) have the right to voice our opinion.

Extraordinary claims require scientific data and evidence in my small world where I deal in real life proven mods through trial and error.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Ez350

Originally posted by MaxHax
McDan and others (especially McDan because of the nightmare he went through and me with my ZEX plugs nightMARE) have the right to voice our opinion.

Extraordinary claims require scientific data and evidence in my small world where I deal in real life proven mods through trial and error.
I agree completely. You and everyone else is entitled to voice their opinion.

But, having participated on a number of forums ranging in topics from automotive performance, to automotive appearance, to technical (networks, computers, etc.) and on and on.....let me assure you that no one is REQUIRED to do anything.

I'm just like you....I would PREFER if everyone posted scientific data to support their claims and theories, but participation here is strictly voluntary.

I have the right to tell you that I produced 15RWHP with a kitchen knife and some scotch tape...and you have the right to call Bu11$h1t and tell me to prove it. But I am not required to do it.....

Not everyone lives close to a shop with a dyno. And not everyone who mods their car has the testing knowledge to provide accurate results/data.....But anyone can sign up to this forum and post a thread.

I think a healthy amount of tolerance is in order.

To be honest, I am simply fascinated by the fact that a .005 in change in a spark plug would produce any noticeable change at all. Shows how little I know about physics. Should've paid more attention in Dr. Burns Physics class.....
Old 07-02-2003, 12:18 PM
12SecZ

I'm just saying that you should be able to back up your claim with data B4 posting it, it's not required but it adds credibility.

Or else some poor sucker will go by a Tornado Vortex Generator for 69 bucks to get his 35 HP!

That's all.

Wanna regap all your plugs go for it, I'm not. Took me two hours of Dyno time rental to fix my current plugs!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Ez350

Originally posted by MaxHax
Or else some poor sucker will go by a Tornado Vortex Generator for 69 bucks to get his 35 HP!

That's all.

Wanna regap all your plugs go for it, I'm not. Took me two hours of Dyno time rental to fix my current plugs!

Exactly. It would be great if everyone would do just that.

Me? I am probably cautious to a fault. It would give me hives to do everything to my car that you have done to yours.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:23 PM
slaponte

I agree with Ez350...

Even beyond that, we do live in a "buyer beware" world. Soon you learn that "if it is too good to be true, it probably is"...

Notice how Tornado still sells them 35HP all over the place...

But then, maybe that is the beauty of the forums : Somebody post their experience, the crowd devides into believers and sceptics, the "manure hits the fan", we all come to an understanding that we don't agree... and then we repeat the cycle.

In a few days, somebody will create a new thread asking what effect could changing the gap on his spark plugs might have...
Old 07-02-2003, 12:38 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Lightbulb

I'll chime in here with my $.02....

I too say that if someone says they got extra "butt power" from a mod, who am I to dispute it? Posting actual # gains could be questionable certainly, BUT definitely no need to flame or jump all over someone or my favorite.......request a DYNO.

Hell I'll dyno my car every other week if someone wants to start up the "TXSTYLE DYNO DONATION FUND"

And oh yeah, 'over-gapping' CAN cause probs.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 07-02-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:56 PM
kgb

Originally posted by Ez350
I agree completely. You and everyone else is entitled to voice their opinion.

But, having participated on a number of forums ranging in topics from automotive performance, to automotive appearance, to technical (networks, computers, etc.) and on and on.....let me assure you that no one is REQUIRED to do anything.

I'm just like you....I would PREFER if everyone posted scientific data to support their claims and theories, but participation here is strictly voluntary.

I have the right to tell you that I produced 15RWHP with a kitchen knife and some scotch tape...and you have the right to call Bu11$h1t and tell me to prove it. But I am not required to do it.....

Not everyone lives close to a shop with a dyno. And not everyone who mods their car has the testing knowledge to provide accurate results/data.....But anyone can sign up to this forum and post a thread.

I think a healthy amount of tolerance is in order.

To be honest, I am simply fascinated by the fact that a .005 in change in a spark plug would produce any noticeable change at all. Shows how little I know about physics. Should've paid more attention in Dr. Burns Physics class.....

Nicely put, Ez350.

This was really an experiment. In a previously owned car, I upgraded the ignition system to a Jacobs’ and played with sparkplug gap settings. I found when the gap was too narrow the engine would not run as smoothly. It almost became "truck-like" (like the Z); the idle quality deteriorated and became lumpy. Performance suffered but in a different way than it did when the plug gaps were too wide. When the gaps were too wide, the engine would stumble at high rpm, although, it did run more smoothly than when the plug gaps were set too narrow. I eventually settled on .060 inch, and this was a 1.6 liter supercharged engine running at 7psi.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 PM
slaponte

which goes back to my question about the grounding kits. Could they possibly be helping the spark over?? Because smoother idle is one of the results most people report from the kits... hummmm
Old 07-02-2003, 03:34 PM
3rdpower

blah blah blah blah blahhhh... anyone else tried this yet?!?! I want to know if I should give it a shot.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:54 PM
kgb

Originally posted by slaponte
which goes back to my question about the grounding kits. Could they possibly be helping the spark over?? Because smoother idle is one of the results most people report from the kits... hummmm
Originally posted by slaponte
I would say yes, based on my understanding. The ground wires provide a less resistive path back to the power source, but I can't say much else about it.

An engine misfires a certain percentage of the time; when you reduce the percentage misfires it will run smoother and perform better.
The increase I'm detecting is likely coming from a combination of things: 1) the wider gap is igniting the combustion process sooner and is making for a more complete burning of the air & fuel mixture, and 2) with combustion taking place sooner, the computer is advancing the timing. (I think much of the increase is coming from more aggressive timing.) This is what I can recall from Jacobs Electronics book on ignition theory.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:14 PM
FLY BY Z

I have no idea why people are posting all this smoother idle stuff. My car has no GK and it idles perfectly smoothly and the RPMs do not vary in the slightest. However, I have a GK ordered just for the hell of it.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:02 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
I have no idea why people are posting all this smoother idle stuff. My car has no GK and it idles perfectly smoothly and the RPMs do not vary in the slightest. However, I have a GK ordered just for the hell of it.
Seeing as you don't have one installed, it's no wonder you don't see what people are talking about. Perhaps you should reserve judgement until after you have the grounding system installed.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:08 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by syf0n
Seeing as you don't have one installed, it's no wonder you don't see what people are talking about. Perhaps you should reserve judgement until after you have the grounding system installed.
Hmm, I think that is what I did. If you can't tell, there is a question in my statement. I hate the Internet. I wish we could all talk but then we would all interrupt each other all the time...

Anyways, all I am saying is it seems like the car idles perfectly smoothly and it has always idled right at 750 RPMs which I think this is what people have been reporting as a change. I don't want to hijack this thread so please don't reply to my post. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:54 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Hmm, I think that is what I did. If you can't tell, there is a question in my statement. I hate the Internet. I wish we could all talk but then we would all interrupt each other all the time...
I'm not trying to get up your ***, but it isn't a question without a question mark. And there is no question mark.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Buub

Actually I installed a grounding kit and I can't really notice any difference at all. But it certainly can't hurt performance, and it looks nice, so what the hell.

Quick Reply: Opening spark plug gap to .049 improves power... it is very noticeable.