Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Who here has PURCHASED the TS ECU????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 06:56 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 2003z
Got my 'puter back and reinstalled it. Initial impressions are great. Once past 4000 rpm's it really pulls, all the way to the new 7100 cutoff. Granted I haven't driven the car for a week, but it feels much faster, and in 1st and 2nd gear that 7100 seems to come on really quick. Dynoing tomorrow!
How much faster does it feel though just compared to resetting the ECU? When I reset the ECU, my butt dyno tells me the car seems faster as many others here have experienced. So how much is the new ECU flash really doing?

Where are all the buyers for this high demand product?
Old 07-22-2003, 07:10 PM
2003z

Originally posted by raceboy
How much faster does it feel though just compared to resetting the ECU? When I reset the ECU, my butt dyno tells me the car seems faster as many others here have experienced. So how much is the new ECU flash really doing?

the dyno will tell for sure, but it seems a lot faster than a simple ecu reset. my car did feel faster when I left the battery disconnected for a few days while I worked on stereo, but it really seems to hit the redline much quicker now. Regardless of tomorrow's outcome on the dyno, the extra 500 rpm are worth it for me on the auto-x course, as I always seem to hit the limter in 2nd, and 3rd doesnt really work on that type of course. now i can get about 5mph more.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps you should take up Zoasis's offer to give you a ride so you can feel it in person, or you could just look at the dyno.

Originally posted by raceboy

Old 07-22-2003, 09:51 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Default DETONATION

Originally posted by phishie
i got mine installed last wednesday. Car pulls very hard all the way to the new redline. And im completely stock. So, with exhaust/intake/headers, i imagine this ecu would make the Z a beast. It pinged a little the day i got it, but they said it woudl be normal. Than, today, it started pinging, but went away, so if it continues, I'll have to have a little chat. But so far, I'm very satisfied with it.
Pinging with a completely stock Z after the TS ecu flash?If you go with a free flowing intake & exhaust,won"t it be leaner & detonate more?Sounds like a fuel or timimg issue.Is anyone else having this problem?Hope it works out for you.Keep us posted.Regards,Tom
Old 07-23-2003, 05:24 AM
2003z

no pinging, bet we have 93 octane in good old GA.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:40 AM
jelledge

Default Chebosto-----Re: DETONATION

Originally posted by TOM Z CENTRAL
Pinging with a completely stock Z after the TS ecu flash?If you go with a free flowing intake & exhaust,won"t it be leaner & detonate more?Sounds like a fuel or timimg issue.Is anyone else having this problem?Hope it works out for you.Keep us posted.Regards,Tom
Cheston,
I have been following the ECU thread for some time. Can you please clarify about the pinging / detonation.

With the TECHNOSQUARE ECU flash the computer should learn and modify the short and long term fuel maps to maintain the 12.5:1 air /fuel ratio that was programmed in correct?

Thus, if you put on say a Crawford intake and Borla catback exhaust -- the air / fuel ratio may TEMPORARILY become too lean, but after say a day or two of driving the ECU should adjust the fuel maps and drive the air / fuel ratio back to 12.5:1 RIGHT? This allows you to keep maximum gains while maintaining a safe air / fuel ratio.

So as you add more mods to the engine the ECU will continue to modify the fuel maps to compensate for better engine breathing (efficiency) and keep maximum gains. So long as you do not exceed the maximum injector flow or allowed compensation in the fuel maps.

Am I close?

Last edited by jelledge; 07-23-2003 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:15 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default Re: Chebosto-----Re: DETONATION

Hey Jelledge--

The 12.5:1 A/F ratio is programmed into the new Technos ECU, so when you first put the ecu into the car, your computer will attempt to learn what your car currently has, and from what i've seen, its normal for some slight detonation in the very beginning , but immediately the program learns and ping should go away.

you are correct in your assumptions about adding the intake, the car will try to correct to a 12.5:1 ratio, thus maintaining a safety barrier, but still more aggressive and power developing than your OEM program. the ECU is setup to allow all major NA bolt-ons-- headers, ypipe, exhaust, test/cat-pipes, intake, and the plenum....

you should not worry about detonation in daily driving.. and/or heavy spiritied driving. Quality of gas also plays a strong role.. those outside of California have the luxury of 93+ octane... the Technos reprogram could have been even more aggressive if everyone had 93+ gas, but alas to make sure everyone has the same safety buffer, the code was written for 91 octane. But it doesnt mean everyone will get the same gains. those running higher octane should be even more efficient!

i typically run a bottle of octane boost every third fill up to keep things interesting..

--Cheston

Originally posted by jelledge
Cheston,
I have been following the ECU thread for some time. Can you please clarify about the pinging / detonation.

With the TECHNOSQUARE ECU flash the computer should learn and modify the short and long term fuel maps to maintain the 12.5:1 air /fuel ratio that was programmed in correct?

Thus, if you put on say a Crawford intake and Borla catback exhaust -- the air / fuel ratio may TEMPORARILY become too lean, but after say a day or two of driving the ECU should adjust the fuel maps and drive the air / fuel ratio back to 12.5:1 RIGHT? This allows you to keep maximum gains while maintaining a safe air / fuel ratio.

So as you add more mods to the engine the ECU will continue to modify the fuel maps to compensate for better engine breathing (efficiency) and keep maximum gains. So long as you do not exceed the maximum injector flow or allowed compensation in the fuel maps.

Am I close?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:26 AM
jelledge

Default Thanks Chebosto

Yup that is what I thought -- thanks.

I think a lot of people on this forum simply don't understand that an ECU will adjust short and long term fuel maps to try and maintain a certain A/F ratio (except at wide open throttle - for now). Adding mods like exhaust and intake simply makes the engine more efficient at breathing and the ECU will compensate and maintain the A/F ratios. (short of turbo or nitrous of course).

I bet also, that with the Technos- ECU upgrade it would take a week or two to get the full benefit as the computer needs to also update the long term fuel maps...?

Thanks for your support and efforts in getting this to the Z community despite what some people on the board may say. It is people like you that make the Z heritage fun and enjoyable.

Now how about a group buy----
Old 07-23-2003, 01:16 PM
2003z

Default before/after dyno

before/after dyno
Old 07-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Mike-
those graphs look odd... i think you got leaks in the exhaust system... look at how jiggity the lines are... perhaps its leaks before the sensor and the sensor is picking up oxygen and leaning it out...

did you talk to danny?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:10 PM
xZlr8

Default Re: Thanks Chebosto

I think a lot of people on this forum simply don't understand that an ECU will adjust short and long term fuel maps to try and maintain a certain A/F ratio (except at wide open throttle - for now). Adding mods like exhaust and intake simply makes the engine more efficient at breathing and the ECU will compensate and maintain the A/F ratios. (short of turbo or nitrous of course).

I bet also, that with the Technos- ECU upgrade it would take a week or two to get the full benefit as the computer needs to also update the long term fuel maps...?

Thanks for your support and efforts in getting this to the Z community despite what some people on the board may say. It is people like you that make the Z heritage fun and enjoyable.

It will compensate to maintain the air/fuel ratio. but if you have more air (i.e. from a CAI) and the ECU adds more fuel (e.g. to maintain the A/F ratio) that equals more power. That's what our ECU does.........w/o a friggin ECU upgrade. Jeeze....maintaining an A/F ratio helps you.........it doesn't hurt your performance.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:20 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Chebosto
Mike-
those graphs look odd... i think you got leaks in the exhaust system... look at how jiggity the lines are... perhaps its leaks before the sensor and the sensor is picking up oxygen and leaning it out...

did you talk to danny?

i think if he had exhaust leaks then he would know.....exhaust leaks are very noticeable.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:45 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Exhaust leaks are noticable, sensor failure are harder to catch.

Originally posted by b18bvudoo
i think if he had exhaust leaks then he would know.....exhaust leaks are very noticeable.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:02 AM
TOM Z CENTRAL

Default Re: Thanks Chebosto

I must be one of those people that don't understand.I am just going by what I read.Phishie is the person that wrote: the car pings after the ts/ ecu flash.If its pinging with a completely stock Z,why won't the ecu compensate.Second question:By opening up the air intake & exhaust,doesn't this change the fuel air mixture(lean)?Third question:Whats a butt dyno?Keep smiling.I am just trying to find out info on this ecu mod,I don't want to hurt my baby.Regards,Tom PS:I don't want to carry a can of octane booster with me.I do have expierence with motorcycle efi's/ecu & my bike has spent lots of time on a dyno.You will see the best hp/tq numbers on the dyno right before the engine starts to ping.Add a little fuel & loose 1-2 hp but the bike is more streetable/runs cooler(BUTT DYNO).Im not taking sides but the 2003z post: zig/zag dyno numbers are not caused by the ts/ecu flash.It is almost certainly the exhaust.PING!,Im outta here
Old 07-24-2003, 02:41 PM
raceboy
Banned

Here is the problem I see with the TS ECU. The car already knocks when it's hot here in California. Especially with our crappy 91 octane gas. From pulling plugs, I can already tell you that the front cylinders run kinda lean and that is why I think I am gonna get the Crawford Plenum. I think Nissan has kept the mixture rich on purpose to keep the front cylinders from going KABOOOM!!! ala the S2000 which has a similar problem with cylinder #4 I believe. Now you lean out the mixture even further and it seems to me, you would be asking for trouble, especially in California.

I think that real gains will be found with the Crawford Plenum and a set of cams.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:36 PM
johnlotusboy

I have spent my $595+$25 S+H for TS ecu, I drove my car almost 100 miles today.
I need more time to be able to give a positive review of their product. I am not comfortable telling others to buy this product yet.
I have had no spark knocking, or other "problems", but I have no other gains to speak of. Th only area I had to check gas mileage had a 8-10mph tail wind today, 55mph-6th gear showed 33+mpg, might be tail wind might be improved, need more time to check because my around town mileage was showing 12.4mpg
which seems mighty low.
More time and mileage will be next week since I start my 4 days on work rotation (12hr shifts) and don't have energy for long drives, but I will have 4 days off middle of next week for detailed observations.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:53 PM
all_bark

Originally posted by johnlotusboy
I have spent my $595+$25 S+H for TS ecu, ......

More time and mileage will be next week since I start my 4 days on work rotation (12hr shifts) and don't have energy for long drives, but I will have 4 days off middle of next week for detailed observations.
I look forward to hearing your review. It seems that more and more people are being "turned off" on this ECU thing because of both the price and the performance. Its a shame because of all the hard work TS put into making it.

So, once again, I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:46 PM
johnlotusboy

I have done enough racing and auto related hobbies that I don't want to give TS ecu a review without some seat time. The first drive after the ECU didn't blow my socks off so the little details are what is goimg to make me suggest this to others. Do the seat time and the "FEEL" thing before I jump on the Technosquare band wagon.
I feel my "family" deserves an honest review.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:10 PM
all_bark

I am still looking for feedback so I brought this thread back to life.

To those who have purchased the ECU PLEASE give us an honest, straightforward responce on what to expect.

And to those in Cali, are you still pinging or did that go away? (or never happen?) Even in this heat?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:40 PM
TOM Z CENTRAL

I agree.Where are all you folks that have the TS/ECU flash?We are anxiously waiting for results & street driveablity.Regards,Tom ps:I have emailed TS about the flash for the 5AT & I will post info when I hear back from them.

Quick Reply: Who here has PURCHASED the TS ECU????