Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone have clutch fluid overheating issues with aftermarket headers in hot weather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:20 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone have clutch fluid overheating issues with aftermarket headers in hot weather?

I recently had the issue come up on a 100 degree day. My clutch was soft when I restarted the car after it set out in the sun for several hours then stuck to the floor after about 20 miles of driving. A friend of mine who also has Crawford headers has this problem too. We were discussing the issue yesterday and decided to try higher temp fluid and maybe a stainless steel fluid line. Otherwise both our clutches work fine. We both also have aftermarket clutches and flywheels. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 AM
pimpin714style

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, motul and steel line and problem never happened again.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:44 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by pimpin714style
yep, motul and steel line and problem never happened again.
Thanks. I'm going to try that.

BTW where did you get your stainless steel clutch fluid line?

Last edited by ZPirate; 06-29-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 AM
JCstart

a insulated stainless steel fluid line is a must with headers...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 AM
pimpin714style

here you go.
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z13h/80-9012
clutch line
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PR...z12b02/21-2174
Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 AM
ZPirate

Hey. Thanks again for the link to the insulated stainless steel line.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put header wrap around mine and run Motul.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have clutch fluid overheating issues with aftermarket headers in hot weather?-dsc02208-1-.jpg  

Last edited by gothchick; 07-05-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by ZPirate
I recently had the issue come up on a 100 degree day. My clutch was soft when I restarted the car after it set out in the sun for several hours then stuck to the floor after about 20 miles of driving. A friend of mine who also has Crawford headers has this problem too. We were discussing the issue yesterday and decided to try higher temp fluid and maybe a stainless steel fluid line. Otherwise both our clutches work fine. We both also have aftermarket clutches and flywheels. Thanks.
I had problems with just the OEM clutch, FW, and headers. Boiled the fluid regularly on my '03 Z, and occasionally on my '04 G Coupe.

Motul and SS lines, ^+1. No more problems. When the Z gets hot esp the pedal gets really lazy coming off the floor. G has JWT FW/Clutch and no issues since replaced slave cyl and fluid with Motul.

Depending on MY and where your slave is, don't forget the line to the slave, on older MY it runs right above a very hot pipe. I rerouted my higher best as I could.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
first350

+1...I had the same issue when autoXing in hot weather (I have headers/TP's)...changed Clutch fluids to Motul RBF600 and issue went away.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
ZPirate

Thanks for the repsonses guys. I am going to upgrade the fluid first and check the lines to see how far away from the headers I can get them. If that doesn't work I wll try wrapping them or going with stainless steel lines.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
ZPirate

I switched my fluid to Motul 600 today. So far so good.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:31 PM
350zbra

Does anyone have this problem with the Nismo headers?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by ZPirate
I just ran across this thread today.

I had a stainless steel braided clutch line and better fluid installed when my Crawford headers were installed. I live in Florida and it is really hot down here. I've never had a problem with my clutch (knocking on wood after saying that).
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by __jb
I just ran across this thread today.

I had a stainless steel braided clutch line and better fluid installed when my Crawford headers were installed. I live in Florida and it is really hot down here. I've never had a problem with my clutch (knocking on wood after saying that).
That's interesting. I've had my Crawford headers for a couple of years now and I don't recall anyone suggesting that the clutch fluid should be upgraded when they were installed. I also suspect my clutch fluid has degraded over time which contributed to my issues. It was the original fluid that came in the car. I probably should have changed it before now. Since I replaced the OEM fluid with Motul I have not had any issues.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Relationship between the exhaust manifold and clutch? Sorry but I dont buy it.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 AM
ZPirate

Now that I know how little clutch fluid the system holds and how close the line is to the headers it doesn't surprise me at all that people have had issues with the fluid overheating with aftermarket headers.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
yellowlady

Default need help!

i have been having a clutch problem that has gotten worse over time. it is pretty much the same as the OP. during hot days, hard driving, or stop and go traffic my clutch pedal does not return to the top of its arc when i remove my foot. it just stays lower and lower to the floor. after searching the forum about this i decided to do some upgrades. installed today- JWT clutch and flywheel, SS clutch line. i was so dissapointed on the ride home that the clutch pedal started doing the same thing after about 15 minutes.
my questions are: what do you think is the problem? also, as my car is still under warranty and my dealer knows of the problem, should i have them take another look. i had them check it out when the problem first developed, but they could not duplicate it. should i tell them that i just installed the new clutch and SS line? i am thinking i should as that will save them alot of time and money. please throw some advice my way.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
redmike_02

I'm having a similar problem. After beating on it for a while and letting it sit in the heat the pedal gets soft. I put some wrap on the ss clutch line, but I need to get some higher temp fluid.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
first350

Originally Posted by davidv
Relationship between the exhaust manifold and clutch? Sorry but I dont buy it.
why not? After market headers don't have heat shields like OE headers, and the clutch fluid line runs fairly close to the exhaust...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:01 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by yellowlady
i have been having a clutch problem that has gotten worse over time. it is pretty much the same as the OP. during hot days, hard driving, or stop and go traffic my clutch pedal does not return to the top of its arc when i remove my foot. it just stays lower and lower to the floor. after searching the forum about this i decided to do some upgrades. installed today- JWT clutch and flywheel, SS clutch line. i was so dissapointed on the ride home that the clutch pedal started doing the same thing after about 15 minutes.
my questions are: what do you think is the problem? also, as my car is still under warranty and my dealer knows of the problem, should i have them take another look. i had them check it out when the problem first developed, but they could not duplicate it. should i tell them that i just installed the new clutch and SS line? i am thinking i should as that will save them alot of time and money. please throw some advice my way.
I replaced the slave at the same time I did the things you did, never had this problem again. It's only about a $30 part, mine failed its seals. It has a rod, piston, spring inside, it moves against the fork (at least on older cars, 07's I think changed this design) and the fork back against it. If it's seals are weak some of the fluid goes around the seals but doesn't necessarily leak.

That's where I'd go next.

Quick Reply: Anyone have clutch fluid overheating issues with aftermarket headers in hot weather?